What's new

Source code released of Project64 1.6?

Status
Not open for further replies.

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
DeathDroid, about protect memory
i think part of the problem with using this for all games is that some of them really do require the ability to self modify :> though i've come to notice that most games that use change memory are also using the memory exp pack :<

DETOMINE

So wait, first he complains that the source is never released and now he complains that it is?
Come on, don't misread what he wrote.
He said earlier that it's will be a great thing when the source will be released.
Then he said that he has doubt that the source's release was allowed.

He never complained about the release itself.

Come on, don't misread what he wrote.
He said earlier that it's will be a great thing when the source will be released.
Then he said that he has doubt that the source's release was allowed.

He never complained about the release itself.

Someone gets it, thank you.

So wait, first he complains that the source is never released and now he complains that it is?

Wow, just wow. You're not even worth the insult.

Let me spell it out for those who are not capable of reading or understanding.

1) I would like the source to be released, yes.

2) If Jabo released the source, all would be good.

3) If someone went behind the original authors backs and released the source without their knowledge or approval, (which is what happened) then I wouldn't be happy about that.

You'll have to forgive me for being old fashioned that way. The way I see it, when people work on a project and put a lot of time and effort into it, I don't appreciate it when other people don't ask for permission and just do whatever the hell they like with other peoples work. I guess it's just how I was raised, you know, to respect other people and to appreciate the work they put in without shitting on it. I wish I didn't have to explain this to you, but obviously someone has to.

Stop bringing this back up already, talk about the code.

Last edited:

death--droid

[SS] Starscream are you the same user that had a little rant against Jabo for not releasing the source code to his plugins, and then went on about him being selfish because he wouldn't release it -.O Or am i mistaken?
But anyway, obviously one of the developers wanted the source code to be released otherwise it would of never ended up in mudlords hands, I cant imagine mudlord tracking down one of the developers, waltzing into their house and stealing it.

Anyway all this arguing is just getting no where, I personally would rather spend time working on improving Project64, wouldn't you?
Aaannd on that note, anyone who knows a fair bit about virtualalloc's and stuff mind taking a look in memory.cpp and seeing how we can clean up the usage of them, be a good start to making it a bit more understandable XD

Last edited:
[SS] Starscream are you the same user that had a little rant against Jabo for not releasing the source code to his plugins, and then went on about him being selfish because he wouldn't release it -.O Or am i mistaken?

That was me. I think he should release it, he thinks he shouldn't. It's his choice to do it or not, and he didn't want to. Just because I wanted the source doesn't mean I want to use it without consent. I've had stuff that I worked on get misused and changed in ways I didn't want or agree to, it's not cool. I made my argument to him and he didn't agree, that's that.

Anyway, moving on...

squall_leonhart

theres surely stuff in that file which is relic of windows 9x, some of it can probably be simplified down to letting the nt memory management cover it.

there might be some cases where the Recompiler core gets a performance hit from removing virtualallocs though :3 hmm..... ancient function, but not necessarily useless

Last edited:

Trotterwatch

Does that tell you otherwise?
Apart from all this I have to admit that this particular thread offers the sort of entertainment I haven't experienced for quite some years in here... too bad that guys like Trotterwatch and Vamp are missing it. :(

Yoohoo :icecream:

Don't think Jabo or Zilmar are that bothered nowadays, they are both busy people leading busy lives. Should it have been leaked? Maybe not, but it's not really doing a great deal of harm to be honest. Would be great if some coders could improve what exists, but from the sounds of it that's not overly easy for various reasons.

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
Yoohoo :icecream:

Don't think Jabo or Zilmar are that bothered nowadays, they are both busy people leading busy lives. Should it have been leaked? Maybe not, but it's not really doing a great deal of harm to be honest. Would be great if some coders could improve what exists, but from the sounds of it that's not overly easy for various reasons.

Hey there! Glad you're still around TrotterW! :D

Aye, whatever happened happened and bitching about it would not make a difference really, that's the conclusion more or less. Some people don't seem to get that though, but anyway.

The code is not particularly clean nor recent. You can't expect much from something designed for systems close to a 1GHz Pentium 3 (and even less) with Win 9x support existing in its core. There can be some bugs ending up fixed here and there but major improvements will take lots of work with new project goals needing to be set.
When things are like that you're better of starting a new project (like hacktarux did for example). Actually from what jab, zil and smiff said, even back then when pj64 v1.6 was released it had little things to do in its core with v1.5 and earlier. In the end you have more like a different emulator with the same name as the old one than a new version.

dazey238

Could always ask Jabo if you're wondering how he feels about the source release -

www.jabosoft.com

He was active on his blog comments as recently as 2 weeks ago. Besides, this forum (emutalk) doesn't require a login to view, so going by zilmar/jabo login dates as to when they were last here is sorta pointless......

the_randomizer

Source was released behind their backs?

Gee, I wonder what this is all about then:

Spoiler:

Project 64 Licence
Quoted from http://code.google.com/p/project64/

Permission to use, copy, modify and distribute Project64 in both binary and
source form, for non-commercial purposes, is hereby granted without fee,
providing that this license information and copyright notice appear with
all copies and any derived work.
This software is provided 'as-is', without any express or implied
warranty. In no event shall the authors be held liable for any damages
arising from the use of this software.
Project64 is freeware for PERSONAL USE only. Commercial users should
seek permission of the copyright holders first. Commercial use includes
charging money for Project64 or software derived from Project64.
The copyright holders request that bug fixes and improvements to the code
should be forwarded to them so if they want them.

The source code being released sounds perfectly fine to me. I fail to see the reasoning behind StarScream's bitching.

What's worse, authors depriving programmers the chance to code and fix up emulators, or releasing the source code for what we all know to be a dead project?

Last edited:

squall_leonhart

secret.png

Allnatural

Could someone please just put in that one line of code that gives all games perfect compatibility and 60VI/s.

Status
Not open for further replies.