What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

RiSiO's Retro Mario Sixty Four

OP
R

Risio

Vectrex Fanboy
Started yesteday actually, here is some first looks.
desert1.jpg

desert2.jpg

desert3.jpg

Second two shots are the only Anti Aliased shots of the game, which would explain the lack of jaggies for the first time in my shots. It's far from done, the pyramid is based on the pyramids in the backround of level 2-1 in Mario 3. The backround of this level will most likely be the same as the 2-1 background. Sand is custom, although I'm not happy with it. Green Pokey is the Mario World sprite, colored green like the Mario 2 Pokey, because I think the green adds nice contrast to all the yellowish tanish sand. Same goes with the pink fence, its there for contrast! Enjoy!

Edit: This is now based on the Rice 6.1.3.2 plugin from Mudlord, so when the new update comes out, make sure you have that plugin. The sand texture requried the higher resolution (512x512) because it is just one big stretched out texture. Other textures in the game that work the same way will be replaced with higher resolition versions. Note to fellow texture people, don't overload the game with high res textures, I doubt many graphic cards out there could handle it. Only neccasary textures are in 256, 512, and 1024 resolutions.

Last edited:
OP
R

Risio

Vectrex Fanboy
highres1.jpg

Some cleaner textures. Yes, I notice the tiling issue on the walkway!

Well, here it is, one of my favorite levels in the game. If you look back earlier in the thread, you'll find me mentioning a possible Game Boy level. Well, I decided that the other Boy should get some recognition!
The Virtual Boy Level

vb3.jpg

vb2.jpg

vb4.jpg

vb5.jpg

Now, there are some things that can't be changed, as they share textures, and somethings just arent textures, so they cant be changed either. So think of it as a Virtual Boy + real life type of thing. I dont know, use your imaginations and pretend the water is red!

Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:

Datadayne

OMG!!! I cant belive it! Its brilliant risio. I love the virtual boy stage.

Damn, your on fire, the progress is picking up very quickly.

Trotterwatch

I'm not into texture packs as a rule, but I made an exception for this one. It is superb. Nice to see you back and great (and imaginative) progress.

Ma Chao

Proud Warrior
omg, i can't believe this pack is back from the dead, i really do hope you keep this because your work rocks!

OP
R

Risio

Vectrex Fanboy
Here are some comparisions on texture quality.
groundold1.png
groundnew1.png

starold1.png
starnew1.png

fenceold1.png
fencenew1.png

highres3.jpg

highres2.jpg

mudlord

Banned
What a superb use of extreme hi res texturing.

Uses the new features extremely well I must add :p (though it looks like on your card speed took a hit). This was EXACTLY what I had in mind when it comes to 8x and 16x retexturing.

I'm amazed. Awesome work.

OP
R

Risio

Vectrex Fanboy
title1.jpg

New copyright crap. 05,08 is the texture packs years of course, with 08 most likely being the release year. (Rediculous if it isnt!) New Mario head background is next!

What a superb use of extreme hi res texturing.

Uses the new features extremely well I must add :p (though it looks like on your card speed took a hit). This was EXACTLY what I had in mind when it comes to 8x and 16x retexturing.

I'm amazed. Awesome work.

Yeah thanks a bunch for that new plugin! The PC is slowing down cause its been on all day and I did a lot of work on Photoshop and Illustrator, which are both open still by the way. I've also gotten alot better at working with these programs since I started. Actually I did alot of the game in Paint Shop Pro, but I've moved on the Adobe programs. I was in school for graphic design, so I learned quite a bit, although I left there and will be transfering to another school to study broadcasting. Once again though, thanks for the plugin! You don't know how annoying it was to work with 128x128 textures that stretched out as much as some do in Mario 64!

(Oh yeah, and its running in 6x Anti Aliasing, so that might be a framerate dropper as well!)

Here's an even newer copyright bar.

copyright1.png

Driscol

annoying you for over a year!
some stuff is smooth, and the rest is pixelated sprites. i confuzzled like the spiny desert monster

OP
R

Risio

Vectrex Fanboy
some stuff is smooth, and the rest is pixelated sprites. i confuzzled like the spiny desert monster

I'd hardly call one example to be "the rest". Don't worry, the game isn't finished at all yet. Alot if not all of the textures are getting a second pass, so stuff like that, (which is place holder anyways) will be updated.

WWLink

Hero of Winds
I'm a new member, but I've been watching your project since awhile before I joined, and all I have to say is, great job! Are you still going to make a Black and White gameboy level though? I thought that was a good idea. Great Virtual Boy level! My only complaint is that you used black for some solid things, and it makes some things don't look solid (see through-ish)! I think maybe you should only use red instead, but it's your choice.

Last edited:
OP
R

Risio

Vectrex Fanboy
I'm a new member, but I've been watching your project since awhile before I joined, and all I have to say is, great job! Are you still going to make a Black and White gameboy level though? I thought that was a good idea. Great Virtual Boy level! My only complaint is that you used black for some solid things, and it makes some things don't look solid (see through-ish)! I think maybe you should only use red instead, but it's your choice.

Thanks! The thing with the level is, I want it to be confusing. Virtual Boy was confusing, it wasn't a good system in the least bit, sans Wario Land VB. So I want you guys to get sick and confused when playing this. ;)
My eyes started to hurt just looking at nothing but black and red textures for several hours!

WWLink

Hero of Winds
Thanks! The thing with the level is, I want it to be confusing. Virtual Boy was confusing, it wasn't a good system in the least bit, sans Wario Land VB. So I want you guys to get sick and confused when playing this. ;)
My eyes started to hurt just looking at nothing but black and red textures for several hours!

Oh, okay. *shortest post ever*

OP
R

Risio

Vectrex Fanboy
title2.jpg

The plugin doesn't feel like tileing right. The past 2 title backgrounds I had also had tileing issues, but I can assure you its not a problem on my end. I guess I'll have to live with it! Anywho, this is the latest background for the Big Ole Mario Head. I'm feelin the colors, but something isn't right. Perhaps its just the tileing thats throwing me off. It beats the last two though!

title3.jpg

There, I like that better. No dice still on the tileing. I separate each section into 320x80 sections, so I know Im doing my job right, it must be an emulator thing or something. Oh well!

title4.jpg

One more little tweak. Blacked out that wooden 3D stuff, to give it more of an oldschool feel. The 64 is still 3D though, nothing I can do about that. Got rid of the awful cloud like texture that was covering the letters. Doubt many even noticed that texture!

Well, Ive decided to release what has been done so far. It's the whole pack up until now, including all the new 16x textures. Mudlords new plugin is included in the download, so that everyone can play the pack the right way! Read the Readme for a bunch of thanks and whatnot.

http://files.filefront.com/Risios+Retro+Mario+64Zip/;8931736;/fileinfo.html

Enjoy!

WWLink

Hero of Winds
Awesome new release! What I notice is that the "R" in your new background for the Mario head is noticeably cut off at the top. You might want to fix that.