What's new

RiceDaedalus 5.3.1 and (reloaded) source code

yawis3632

DirectX

everytime i use the plugin with directx i get this error message "Can not initialize DX8, check your Direct Settings" i have directx 9b, do you have to use directx 8 to use the plugin? if someone could help it would be apprieciated

twex

Several Mario Party minigames don't display correctly. When the screen is split horizontally, the upper half is stretched way beyond proportion and 'leaks' into the bottom half.

EDIT: I've now tried both DirectX and OpenGL, as well as driver versions 30.82 and 53.04 with my Geforce 4 MX440, and the distortion is present in all modes. Makes me think it's a genuine bug in the plugin.

The screenshot shows "Bowl Over" from Mario Party 1, by the way.

Last edited:

no-success

yawis3632 said:
everytime i use the plugin with directx i get this error message "Can not initialize DX8, check your Direct Settings" i have directx 9b, do you have to use directx 8 to use the plugin? if someone could help it would be apprieciated

I have the same problem.

I switched to 16bit color as recomended but it didnt make a difference.

This plugin seems slanted towards nvidia.

Also, I've been playing Paper Mario and I can't stand the flickering I've tried tons of plug-ins, any recomendations for an ati radeon 9600?

Qun Mang

nuqDaq 'oH puchpa''e'
no-success said:
Also, I've been playing Paper Mario and I can't stand the flickering I've tried tons of plug-ins, any recomendations for an ati radeon 9600?

I know Rice's (5.3.1) didn't give me trouble with flickering, but it did have other problems like slowdowns in certain areas (sewer, forest, top of star summit, castle, more) and total breakdown of graphics leading to a 1964 crash in a couple others (Boo's house). I tried the build of v.5.2.0 for Radeons, but the slowdown areas didn't work at all (just black) with that plugin, though I think that was something broken in 5.2.0 in general, nothing to do with the unofficial build. In the end, I just used Jabo's plugin, flickering and all. How about the GL64 plugin? It is bad on a Radeon 7500, but it's supposed to be good for 8500+.

firestarter

Mahoukenshi Master!
When I try to activate the Night-Vision Goggles in Jet Force Gemini, I get something like this picture...What's exactly wrong with it?

no-success

Qun Mang said:
I know Rice's (5.3.1) didn't give me trouble with flickering, but it did have other problems like slowdowns in certain areas (sewer, forest, top of star summit, castle, more) and total breakdown of graphics leading to a 1964 crash in a couple others (Boo's house). I tried the build of v.5.2.0 for Radeons, but the slowdown areas didn't work at all (just black) with that plugin, though I think that was something broken in 5.2.0 in general, nothing to do with the unofficial build. In the end, I just used Jabo's plugin, flickering and all. How about the GL64 plugin? It is bad on a Radeon 7500, but it's supposed to be good for 8500+.

rice 5.3.1 doesnt do paper mario good it makes some text invisable and the same with objects. i cant seem to find GL64. id really hate to just give up on this esp with how far into the game i am.

gln64 seems to work the best for me but constantly freezes my system.

oh also i cant get any of the plugins to work in d3d mode and the options that are supposed to stop the flicker just make it not function for me.

zargos

RiceDaedalus 5.3.1 don't work with my graphic card, a ProSavage DDR (of S3, chip model 420). OnBoard with ultimate drivers (13.01.09). Directx 9.0b. 800x600 16-bit.

...possibly don't work with alls RiceDaedalus versions :ranting:

XxCronoxX

no-success said:
I have the same problem.

I switched to 16bit color as recomended but it didnt make a difference.

This plugin seems slanted towards nvidia.

By flickering do you mean that the screen keeps "blinking"? Blinking as in the screen turns black then normal then black again really fast over and over.

If so, (with this plugin) go to the video settings then uncheck skip frame. I -think-, it worked for me the last time everything started flickering.

firestarter

Mahoukenshi Master!
zargos said:
RiceDaedalus 5.3.1 don't work with my graphic card, a ProSavage DDR (of S3, chip model 420). OnBoard with ultimate drivers (13.01.09). Directx 9.0b. 800x600 16-bit.

...possibly don't work with alls RiceDaedalus versions :ranting:

How about you get a new video card....The S3s suck now, isn't there an S4 that's available?

/flamage

Qun Mang

nuqDaq 'oH puchpa''e'
Flickering on Paper Mario would be the background constantly appearing over the foreground, several times a second.

no-success: I meant GLn64 when I said GL64.

If you can stand the flickering, Jabo's plugin will take you to the end of PM with one exception: dark areas. Dark areas are just black under Jabo's plugin, even though having Watt as your companion is supposed to light it up. I had to go to wireframe rasterization for these areas or suffer the extreme slowness of Rice's plugin. Glide64 with the Evoodoo version 4 alpha wrapper may work with these though I gave up on this plugin due to speed issues before trying it in dark areas. Fortunately the only major dark area is the caverns in Bowser's castle.

no-success

XxCronoxX said:
By flickering do you mean that the screen keeps "blinking"? Blinking as in the screen turns black then normal then black again really fast over and over.

If so, (with this plugin) go to the video settings then uncheck skip frame. I -think-, it worked for me the last time everything started flickering.

i didnt even have it checked.

gln64 is the best on my card but crashes to frequently. jabo's does too but slightly less. i have to run every plugin in ogl mode otherwise it wont work at all. however rices is far worse in gl mode from what i can tell.

i just cant see there being all this support for crap gfx cards and none for us average card owners it almost makes me think id be better off with my old mx420 :(

thanks for all the help everyone. i guess i was looking for a simple solution to my problem.

MagusB

Neophyte said:
Hmmmm. It seems that I've run into a bit of trouble trying to run it. When I go to change the settings in PJ 64 I get an error that says, "This application has failed to start because MSVCP71.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem." Then after I click Okay I get another error message that says, "Failed to load plugin: "C:\unzipped\plugin\RiceDaedalus5.3.0.dll" Then my settings window pops up as if nothing happened. However, I can't find Rice's plug-in in the drop down menu for the video plug-ins.

It appears that a required .dll for the plug-in is missing from the .zip file. Does anyone have it or can post a link to it?

Oh, and C:\unzipped is where I store PJ 64. Hence, the C:\unzipped\plug-in folder. :)

I'm very interested in how you solve that issue, since I am positive that I have the dll's in the correctfolder and it still gives me exactly that same error mesage whenever I try to access the Setting's in PJ64 to change from the Rice's 5.1.0 to 5.3.1 I've tried many things, from changing or making up folders for that .dll only to erasing the others but it still gives me that error message. Anybody who is willing to help, thx in advance, here are my specs:

P4 2.0 Ghz
PC133 512 MB Ram (I know it's old)
GeForce4 Ti 4400 128 MB
Windows XP Pro
Project64 1.5 SP 1

Neophyte

I found it in the 1964 .9.9 download. I just put the .dll in the same folder as the plug-in and problem solved. Oh, and make sure that it is MSVCP71 and not MSVCP70, which comes with one of the other emulators(PJ 64 I think).