What's new

rdb wip

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
Smiff

Smiff

Emutalk Member
it will be alright if you keep finding things like that & thank god for the amount of flexibility zilmar left in the system, im hoping (if not expecting) with some help to get nearly everything right this time, i dont want to be doing lots of small updates. realistically it will never be 100%, but if what it went out with was ~90% right, this should 96% right, then 98% and thatll be good enough :p. it would be impossible if PJ was still changing :(

OP
Smiff

Smiff

Emutalk Member
hmm naaah, how about:

use old core
use old video
...(use old RSP etc.)...
use other ROM

more straight and to the point.

OP
Smiff

Smiff

Emutalk Member
Important Note: I did not add the "I ownz joo" bit in the topic

OK maybe a better way to put it it is: what changes has everyone made to their RDB (or ROM Settings tab), if its good for you the chances are its good for everyone. Anyone got good results by changing counter factor or larger compile buffer? Hmm?

OP
Smiff

Smiff

Emutalk Member
hehe i just got another game working. i probably shouldnt say this but its f***ing amazing what zilmars done here, constantly surprising.

OP
Smiff

Smiff

Emutalk Member
haha another one. we arent doing so bad here. so is this just me and All-thingy or is anyone else gonna join the part-ay.

Allnatural

Smiff said:
hehe i just got another game working. i probably shouldnt say this but its f***ing amazing what zilmars done here, constantly surprising.
That's what I was thinking. I'm more impressed by the work here every day.:)

p.s. All-thingy?:sly: :D:D

Allnatural

Hmm...

Flickering can be reduced, and in some cases eliminated in Shadows of the Empire with CF=1. The trade off is a noticable loss of speed in-game, on my system anyway. I'll stick with default (2), but those with totally l33t systems may want to try 1.;)

Well, I put in some quality time with Duke Nukem: Zero Hour (U), Space Station Silicon Valley, and Nightmare Creatures. No luck I'm afraid.:(

Someone take over for me now; I'm goin' to bed.:sleepy:

EdgeBlade

Brandonn
All the Mario Partys are playable, or am I missing something here. Just tring to help here, sorry if I'm an idot ???

Slougi

Umm Smiff why can't/won't you fix the res of some of the pal games?
I got Zelda MM running alright, forgot what res though. Wll check when i get home.

Swampylee

Hi Smiff,

It's a tough call with counter factor because I get a much faster game (and less sound chopping) when using DKR if I use counter factor 3 but I've got a crappy underspec machine so you should probably be careful about taking settings advice from anyone under minimum spec :D

If, like me, it's the first thing us lesser mortals change if a game is slow there are probably loads of people with low spec machines doing this to get certain games working faster. If people provide advice on counter factor settings they should also say what their hardware spec is so you can only use settings confirmed as good by those users who meet minimum hardware requirements.

I assume (and maybe incorrectly) that a games graphics will be smoother with a counter factor of 1 if the PC is fast enough so we shouldn't adversely affect those who do meet min req.

Now what would be cool is a multi version approach to releasing RDB's - one for low spec users, one for users who meet min. requirements and one for high spec users. I can hear your heart racing faster at the thought of maintaining 3 RDB's so I suppose we'll have to leave "tweaking" to the end user. :) :devil:

Just a thought. Thanks for all the hard work you continue to put into :pj64:

Cheers, Swampylee

EdgeBlade

Brandonn
Ok, apperenty some of the mini-games crash the entire rom in Mario Party 3, would it be usefull for me to make a list of the MiniGames that crash it Smiff?

OP
Smiff

Smiff

Emutalk Member
EdgeBlade said:
Ok, apperenty some of the mini-games crash the entire rom in Mario Party 3, would it be usefull for me to make a list of the MiniGames that crash it Smiff?

yeah, it would be more useful if you could find settings that stop them crashing, AFAIK they didnt crash before 1.4 so its probably just Protect Memory, dunno.

OP
Smiff

Smiff

Emutalk Member
Swampylee said:
Hi Smiff,

It's a tough call with counter factor because I get a much faster game (and less sound chopping) when using DKR if I use counter factor 3 but I've got a crappy underspec machine so you should probably be careful about taking settings advice from anyone under minimum spec :D

If, like me, it's the first thing us lesser mortals change if a game is slow there are probably loads of people with low spec machines doing this to get certain games working faster. If people provide advice on counter factor settings they should also say what their hardware spec is so you can only use settings confirmed as good by those users who meet minimum hardware requirements.

I assume (and maybe incorrectly) that a games graphics will be smoother with a counter factor of 1 if the PC is fast enough so we shouldn't adversely affect those who do meet min req.

Now what would be cool is a multi version approach to releasing RDB's - one for low spec users, one for users who meet min. requirements and one for high spec users. I can hear your heart racing faster at the thought of maintaining 3 RDB's so I suppose we'll have to leave "tweaking" to the end user. :) :devil:

Just a thought. Thanks for all the hard work you continue to put into :pj64:

Cheers, Swampylee

the effect of changing CF depends very much on the game, its _not_ usually just a tradeoff between speed and smoothness, for a start some games require a certain value so thats simple, if i can set 1 and see an improvement without much or any speed loss ill do it, if setting 1 doesnt help i wont, if i can set 3 without frame loss and with a speedup ill do it, etc etc, its not necessary to have several versions because there usually is a correct/best value i think, in cases where its a tradeoff i coud make a note, but i have already explained cf ok in the manual for people who want to play with it themselves. no way i hell am i doing several versions even if i thought it was a good idea :)

OP
Smiff

Smiff

Emutalk Member
Slougi said:
Umm Smiff why can't/won't you fix the res of some of the pal games?
I got Zelda MM running alright, forgot what res though. Wll check when i get home.

any game with mixed or dynamic res. its iffy if dont know the game well enough to know what it will do.. zeldamm is a definate maybe cos i know theres some higher res in there, even though its mostly 240, forcing it would actually break a plugin with working detection

OP
Smiff

Smiff

Emutalk Member
Allnatural said:

Well, I put in some quality time with Duke Nukem: Zero Hour (U), Space Station Silicon Valley, and Nightmare Creatures. No luck I'm afraid.:(

yeah SSSV is pissing me off, it should work, why-tf isnt it working, and when-tf did it last work?! The other one thats pissing me off is CruisNUSA, that should work but wont.

Some good news though, your CF trick worked for Battletanx aswell :colgate: hoo-f**in-rah.

Allnatural

Smiff said:

yeah SSSV is pissing me off, it should work, why-tf isnt it working, and when-tf did it last work?! The other one thats pissing me off is CruisNUSA, that should work but wont.

Some good news though, your CF trick worked for Battletanx aswell :colgate: hoo-f**in-rah.
I still have versions 1.2 and 1.3 of PJ sitting around, I'll try SSSV on those when I have time.

Glad to here about Battletanx.:) Is that the US version? I've been meaning to screw around with that and Global Assault (U).

Downloading Body Harvest now. Gonna see what can be done with that.:cool:

Allnatural

Heeeeeeey...

CF=3 works for Battletanx: Global Assault (U) too.:) It was real slow though, until I realized it defaulted to the interpreter.:blush::colgate:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.