What's new

Proud to announce the launch of the new ChankastEx Website

feartetsuo

I am alittle confused:
"Since version 1.4.7 and onwards ChankastEx has become a
joystick plugin and is no longer hacks the original chankast files"

What exactly does that mean? That instead of hacking chankast, you are still adding and making changes to the original chankast but as a plugin?? Could anyone please clarify?

p.s. - if we provide a mirror for downloads, where do we submit the link for it?

OP
-=TRICKSTAR=-

-=TRICKSTAR=-

Banned
Before version 1.4.7 The ChankEx Team modified the entrypoint of the original chankast 0.25 to force it to load in the Chankast Ex plugin (chanhack.dll)

However the project has undergone some quite major changes internally to allow it to work/act as a chankast joypad plugin. It therefore doesnt need to modify chankasts files to achieve its aims.

Because the netplay plugin myself and zenith are working on is not yet complete we have chose to release "ChankEx - Plugin version" as a wrapper.

ChankEx is loaded up as the joypad plugin and passes the genuine plugins details along to chankast. =]

Basicly we dont need to hack the chanka teams files anymore and ChankEx can be un/loaded as easy as changing joypad plugin.

About the mirror: pm me ;)

Last edited:

gtguy01

Great work guys! I noticed that Rumble (force feedback) is now not supported or not working in the new plugin (was working well with the original Elsemi joystick plugin). It would be great if you guys could add it, and also have a "Rumble Strength" slider to boost up the effects in chankast.

Last edited:

mazonemayu

works great with the new plugin Trickstar. Congrats m8
I got just 1 question: it runs fine when I start it up from the installed dir,but when I try to start it with a shortcut I get a 'can't locate any input plugin' msg & it won't start

it's not that big a deal since otherwise it runs fine, I was just wondering what caused that to happen

OP
-=TRICKSTAR=-

-=TRICKSTAR=-

Banned
Stems from my assumption that the program directory is also the currently active directory.
ChankEx no longer makes that assumption.
Thanks for bug report.Fixed and in the next release.

OP
-=TRICKSTAR=-

-=TRICKSTAR=-

Banned
Great work guys! I noticed that Rumble (force feedback) is now not supported or not working in the new plugin (was working well with the original Elsemi joystick plugin). It would be great if you guys could add it, and also have a "Rumble Strength" slider to boost up the effects in chankast.

Sorry i totally missed your post!
Actually ChankEx DOES support rumble features of elsemis plugin.
Wanna use it? heres how.

1. Grab the original chankast package.
2. Rename the the rumble plugin 'wrapme.lib' and replace the one in your Chankex directory with it. This works with any input plugin.

The newest (unreleased) version doesnt use such a lame system for configuration and is a lot less messy.

Hope this helps as a temporary fix. :flowers:

gtguy01

Thanks Trickstar. I tried your fix. Theoretically it should work, but it doesn't. I renamed the elsemi dll to wrapme.lib, backing up the old one. I only have the gamepad working without rumble. Hopefully this will work in the new version.

Last edited:
OP
-=TRICKSTAR=-

-=TRICKSTAR=-

Banned
Thanks Trickstar. I tried your fix. Theoretically it should work, but it doesn't. I renamed the elsemi dll to wrapme.lib, backing up the old one. I only have the gamepad working without rumble. Hopefully this will work in the new version.

meh, fixed in next releas............ :)
ride it out. :D :p

On a separate note, do you think that the original chankast crew was paid by Sega to dissapear?

your guess is as good as mine! Maybe it stopped being fun and they thought whats the point. I know its tiring work and ive wanted to put it down more than a few times. I blame them less and less each day for abandoning it.

Me? Im just thankful for what they gave us. I choose not to speculate(apart from my above speculation. ;) )

Dark Mits

Eternal Darkness
I was wondering, how do I turn on frame limiting? Yes, I know, stupid question since there is an option, but it doesn't work for me. What I've experienced:

- Off works regularly.
- 30fps and 60fps don't work at all. I reached 80fps when loading the Dreamcast Logo (the fastest I can reach). I even tried setting the limit before loading the game and even while playing but no difference.
- If either limit is selected, then the framerate drops by about 5-10% (in comparison to the Off setting).
- If either limit is selected, then restarting ChankEx sets the option at 60fps (even if it were at 30fps)

I even tried various combinations with the other options available, but no result. Am I doing something wrong.

On a side note, the SLOW, NORM, FAST and FSTR options do work as intended. On a screen that NORM gives me 55fps, SLOW gave me 37, FAST 83 and FSTR 110 even though I had turned on 30fps limit on all occasions.

OMG, I realised I haven't congratulated you yet on your work. I hope I'm not too late...

OP
-=TRICKSTAR=-

-=TRICKSTAR=-

Banned
Dark Mits fps limiting is ALWAYS disabled when speed controls are set to anything other than NORM. The two features are totally incompatable with each other.

:santa::santa::santa::santa::santa:
Hi guys just to let you know that im kicking back for christmas.
Ive been snowed under with work for the past couple o' months so i intend to spend all christmas chillin'. :D
Im posting this so you dont think Ive gone awol. :)

catch you in the new year all.
:party::party::party::party:

Last edited:

Dark Mits

Eternal Darkness
No, it doesn't work even if I don't use at all the SLOW, FAST and FSTR options. It's just as if it always at Off. I do this:
Start up emulator => set Limit to 30fps => Run => no limit applied, it goes fast as hell. (if you can call 80fps fast as hell).

Player 1

EmuTalk Member
Dark Mits is right. The limiting FPS options doesn't seem to work and I really need it for Soul Calibur because it runs a little more than 60 frames on my computer.

Great work though on Chankast EX. Thank you Trickstar and team.

OP
-=TRICKSTAR=-

-=TRICKSTAR=-

Banned
In truth we're not exacly happy about the fps limitings method of keeping time .
It seems woefully inaccurate on quite a few machines (mostly a64's and p4's).
Koralith, the guy who coded that bit of the code, added it, updated it and then promptly dissappeared! (Zenith says "It is the way of the chankast my friend")

So were prolly gonna re-write it ourselves sometime after christmas.
Hopefully it shouldnt give any more grief after that.

Dark Mits

Eternal Darkness
It's basically not that of a problem. I do not have that "beast" of a machine (see my computer profile, I just updated it) so as to say that it prohibits me from enjoying games. I can make due with using SLOW and NORM (registered them as hotkeys on my gamepad) at times.

Anyway, I think that Chankast (and possibly ChankastEx) is not so "processor-intensive" or "graphics-adaptor-intensive" as "memory-speed-intensive". I cannot explain why ChankastEx runs slower on my machine than my father's (P4 @ 2GHz, GeForceFX5200w/128MB, 512MB RAM @ 400MHz) by around 3-4fps.