What's new

Plugin supporting Transferpak emulation

Maximilianop

Know's all / Know's nothing
I'm almost certainly absolutely 99% sure, there is no special hardware at all, nor the N64 has a gameboy Emu chip.

For me, the fact is as next:

The Pokémon games (wich are the only ones I know, have the ability to PLAY GBC games) have in it's own code, a coded EMU, just like the ones we all use, but instead of showing result's in a way a PC can understands it, it sends the results in the way the N64 understands it.

Remember what an game console emu fo r PC is: A game console emu is an application run in a PC, wich reads the rom of a game, and works as if it were the game console, showing results in a PC friendly way. The roms are like EXE files themself, they are a list of consecutive orders, and operations, wich the CPU desifer and act acording. So a game containing a emu in itself should work perfectly fine, since the rom has orders for the N64 CPU to desifer, even in the GBC emu part.

And remeber N64 has a programable graphic chip, what does it means, the games can have their own graphic showing code (let's call it soft emu), that's way almost each game maker has it's own graphics opcode, and not to mention the N64 has a greater Resolucion and color depth that the GBC, so a game showing graphics in the way the GBC does, doesn't need any extra hardware.

noctrun

noctrunal internet surfing guy
Maximilianop said:
I'm almost certainly absolutely 99% sure, there is no special hardware at all, nor the N64 has a gameboy Emu chip.

For me, the fact is as next:

The Pokémon games (wich are the only ones I know, have the ability to PLAY GBC games) have in it's own code, a coded EMU, just like the ones we all use, but instead of showing result's in a way a PC can understands it, it sends the results in the way the N64 understands it.

Remember what an game console emu fo r PC is: A game console emu is an application run in a PC, wich reads the rom of a game, and works as if it were the game console, showing results in a PC friendly way. The roms are like EXE files themself, they are a list of consecutive orders, and operations, wich the CPU desifer and act acording. So a game containing a emu in itself should work perfectly fine, since the rom has orders for the N64 CPU to desifer, even in the GBC emu part.

And remeber N64 has a programable graphic chip, what does it means, the games can have their own graphic showing code (let's call it soft emu), that's way almost each game maker has it's own graphics opcode, and not to mention the N64 has a greater Resolucion and color depth that the GBC, so a game showing graphics in the way the GBC does, doesn't need any extra hardware.

well, roms are not progamms, roms are files that contain all the data (including programms) that's stored in the cartridges. an emulator simulates the console hardware and fools the rom to be on the real system, it does not convert the game to a pc friendly progamm, the game might be 100% emulated by the emu but if the gfx plugin can't handle the opcodes, it's unplayeble, the plugins display gfx or play sfx in a pc friendly way not the main emu. as for pokemon, I don't know I neither have a pokemon cartridge nor a rom, but I don't think the n64 cpu was designed to function with gameboy programms/hardware/whatever, i don't think the n64 emulates a gbc in software since (1) nintendo can create the hardware and (2) the main cpu might be to slow to run a cartridge and emulate a gbc game at full speed

Last edited:

MadManMarkAu

Transfer Pak Expert
ok, ppl... I need your help...

In order for me to completely finish the TPak bit of the plugin, I need to know how the gameboy RTC works... For example, how does Pokemon read and set the RTC?? I've E-Mailed some GB programmers about it, but they can't help, and neither can these 2 emulator writers, which I find strange...

So, if anyone out there can E-Mail someone and get me this information, then I can finish the plugin TOTALLY :p

(BTW, sorry for not being here, but I'm on holidays... I'll be back in 1 or 2 weeks, and I will have VC++... My friend sent it to me, and I got it on the farm, but I need it down here... So, almost there :p Sorry for the delays, ppl...:blush: )

dammit... the compie on the farm sucks... so I can't do any developing up there... (DirectX 6, no 3D h/ware, 32Mb, 2Gb, 233Mhz.... :cry:)

MadManMarkAu

Transfer Pak Expert
Hi. Sorry I haven't been here... I've been on holidays... and still am...

noctrun: Those files don't have any information on RTC access, as far as I can tell... all it does is load/save the RTC file, and that's it...

Oh... wait... I found some info on it... It is in there... It's just hidden amongst all the crap :p hehe...
:blush:

Heh... It's quite a rudimentry GB emulator... like, it can't handle midnight-crossing... but I think I can get the RTC tto work :whistling

Hey... amd maybe now I can emulate the MCB's, too :D

pj64er

PJ64 Lubba
scyther said:
But for Perfect Dark, it use it but HOW? what it does? I've got Perfect Dark rom for GBC and i have all version for N64 (US, PAL, JAP) and i still can't find what it does! Did someone know about that?

nothing special. doing stuff in PD gbc will unlock cheats in PD N64. these "cheatsf" can also be unlocked by doing stuff in PD N64 as well. not worth your time playing PD gbc to earn stuff that you prolly already got.

also, you might remember that PD was supposed to allow you to map your face onto the characters in multiplayer. This was supposed to use the gb camera attached to transferpak attached to n64. alas, they took the feature, so there isnt anything interesting to do with pd and transferpak.

noctrun

noctrunal internet surfing guy
MadManMarkAu said:
noctrun: Those files don't have any information on RTC access, as far as I can tell... all it does is load/save the RTC file, and that's it...

I don't know I didn't wrote that emu

XWA MAN

Transfer Pak Plugin

Is there some sort of plugin where i dont need onw of those controller usb things for Project 64. Is it possible to use roms with an transfer pak supported rom??? :n64:

CpU MasteR

omg h4x
Re: re

XWA MAN said:
How?? How can i use one of my gb roms with pokemon stadium or mario golf??? :D

you can use the .sav files from gb emulators...

Mario Golf I think doesnt support Transfer pack..

XWA MAN

re

k but how?? I use pj64 ver 1.5 and when i goto controller plugin it doesnt say a thing about loading.. how do i load it???

XWA MAN

RE

k i figured it out but when i when to load my yellow version on pokemon stad 2 this happend (check the pic)

XWA MAN

re

nm i got it to work!!! I can't get the gb tower and most of the other things to work with the gbc roms!! Like the lab and the room thing...

TIERRA

SHOWSTOPPA
all i like to know is if pokemon gb roms play with better graphics or with the same gb graphics in the gb tower.:huh:

cause if not then what's the rush, just get a gb emulator.

XWA MAN

Re

what i dont want to...
k i tryed mario golf 64 with the gbc ver and it didnt work
I put a pic...I made it smaller so it wont take up alot of space... :saint: