What's new

Plugin supporting Transferpak emulation

Maximilianop

Know's all / Know's nothing
Yes, and it cannot do it because it's not prepared to use ROMs, remember that it was designed to use with Real Gameboy games.
If I don't get it worng, the rom is the Real Gameboy game, just dumped from the eeprom chip on the cartdridge to the computer. So it should work.

From what i've seen, when you enter GB tower, there IS, HD activity, wich shouldn't be, since Project had already loaded Pokemon Stadium onto memory, Maybe the HD activity is the gb rom loading into the memory of the game??? (Only MadManMark can answer this with the truth)

So I think the transfer pak emu is doing the GB ROM transfer to the game, but since the rom wich we all have is dumped using a rom copier, and every copier adds some headers and other stuff to the rom, Then the info Pokemon Stadium is receibing isn't the one it expect, sooo, it thinks the GB cartdridge is being read wrong or the transfer pak is not correctly connected.

Wll, this is the last post I make inthis thread, since I don't want to be a pain to N-Rage, or MadManMark

MadManMarkAu

Transfer Pak Expert
hey hey everyone :)

Sorry I haven't been here to provide Tech. support, but I didn't know about this thread's existance, untill N-Rage gave me a kick up the a$$ and said "Come give tech. support!" *^_^*

Ok... When a GameBoy ROM is dumped, NOTHING is added to the file. No headers, no nothing... All headers are already stored in the GB Rom. Dumping the Rom basically just takes a snapshot of the Rom data, and sticks it into a file, in 0x4000 size blocks.

Just the same as when you dump the SRAM data... only the SRAM is 0x2000 size blocks :p

The reason the GB Tower doesn't work, could be two things. I don't think GB Tower works in Project64 (I have yet to test other emu's), and, as yet, I haven't emulated the GB Timer in the GBCart.cpp file... (the timer uses the .tdf files...) I've asked a few people about the GB Timer, but no one is replying to me... *sniff*

But, yeah. Try a diferent emu, and if it still doesn't work, then get back to me :)

If you want, my E-Mail is [email protected] :p

And, please, my name is MadManMarkAu, not MadManMark. :p

About the disk activity, all the GB Rom and BG SRAM data are loaded when emulation first starts, so I don't know why there should be disk activity... How much RAM do you have, and what emulator are you using? It may be just windows doing it's pagefile operations because the game's chewing up RAM...

So, yeah... I'm here to give tech. support for the Transfer Pak... Hopefully I'll be here wuite often :p

Maximilianop

Know's all / Know's nothing
Ok... When a GameBoy ROM is dumped, NOTHING is added to the file. No headers, no nothing... All headers are already stored in the GB Rom. Dumping the Rom basically just takes a snapshot of the Rom data, and sticks it into a file, in 0x4000 size blocks

I find it difficult , since you can get info into the rom file, wich says with wich copier it was dumped, so there's a header writen by the Copier.

I'm Using Project64 1.5 With Jabo DD6 1.5, Jabo DS 1.5, N-Rage 1.82a(Obviously).

I have 256 MB RAM minus 64 MB Shared to video.
I find it strage to be Windows pagefile, since It always happens, in the exact moment the GB tower is Being accesed, but if you say GB ROM/SRAM, is loaded on emu start, then it must be something made by windows. I will have to install some HD monitor to know what is it exactly.

And by the way, What did you meant about GB Timer? The RTC ?
You could check on VisualBoyAdvance source (it's open now), how to control/emulate it.

And here's a suggestion, since not everybody has the same Rom dumps, then you could make, when GB tower is working well (If you get it working), some sort of "including" with the plugin, so everyone should have the same roms. I don't mean including the rom on the zip file, I mean inserting the rom data onto the plugin.

Last edited:

Falcon4ever

Plugin coder / Betatester
Just a question about the savegame files, from which emu should i use?
Cuz i hear that the ones from VBA worked well and the others sometime not...

MadManMarkAu

Transfer Pak Expert
Hmmm... I've never heard of the dump program writing any headers... I don't know about that... You may be right... and that may be why some dumps of roms don't work... I'll look into it...

And yes, I did mean the RTC... :p

about the VisualBoyAdvance, I'm not about to go scrolling through pages upon pages of code, when I can just ask the authors... :D

About putting the rom data into the plugin, Are you SERIOUS?? Are you aware of how dard that is, and of the size the ROM will become? and it's not exactly *ahem* legal >_<

I'm about to try the GB Tower with 2 other emulators... I'll tell you how it goes tomorow... right now I have to disconnect >.<

As for the SaveGames, ANY savegame should work...

MadManMarkAu

Transfer Pak Expert
AHHA! I've found the problem with Project64 crashing when going into GB Tower... It's because (as far as I can tell) I'm only loading 1Mb of ROM data... and Pokemon GOLD is 2Mb... I forgot to adjust this from my development testing, when I was using Pokemon BLUE with it... >.<

Yeah... I'll fix this up and send N-Rage the source again so he can upload the NEW version of the new plugin :p

Sorry about this, everyone...

MadManMarkAu

Transfer Pak Expert
Umm... Not in the near future... I don't know how to read ZIP files... and I don't know how to use any of the ZIP librarys out there... but if someone wants to send me some info, I'll happily do it :)

2bzy4ne1

Mmmmm....Beeeeerrrr
MadManMarkAu said:
Umm... Not in the near future... I don't know how to read ZIP files... and I don't know how to use any of the ZIP librarys out there... but if someone wants to send me some info, I'll happily do it :)
Why don't you try to ask some of the emu authors for some info on how they added zipped rom support in their emu so you can apply it for your own research? :sorcerer:

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
MadManMarkAu said:
It is fairly easy. Goto pj's homepage and download the 1.4 source. It will provide you with the zipsupport needed. :)
That's how i got zip support :happy:

Mingo3k

Mingspeed!
tried it once, got it to work, then i havent touched it since
pokemon seems to bore me now :baaa:

OT
hehe MadManMarkAu eh?
ANOTHER AUSSIE!! :p:p:p
hehehe
Aussie! Aussie! Aussie!

sk8bloke22

roll for life
wow, nice one. that was something ppl didnt think would be emulated...

wat games work with the transfer pak other the pokemon games?

OP
N-Rage

N-Rage

Emulating a GB-Rom in Pokemon 2 thru an Emulator is possible, but I dont see the use of it ?!

First the Inputplugin would have to behave correct and then the Emulator must be able to emulate the Emulation >_<

Well, atleast Pj64 wasnt able the last time it was tried with an Adaptoid, it hung with a blue screen( PJ64, not Windows ).

So even if Mark gets the Transferpak perfect theres still work to do.
Or you could just get a GB-Emulator and be happy ?

MadManMarkAu

Transfer Pak Expert
Heh... Yeah, with Project64, you can't use GB Tower... I'm not sure if this is a problem with PJ64, or whether it's a problem with the plugin, both adaptiod and my/N-Rage's one...

And, an update on that fixed code I'm doing, I still haven't gotten VC++... dammit! >_<

But, right now I'm at a friends place... I'll see if I can get him to burn me a copy.

greatfire

sk8bloke22 said:
wat games work with the transfer pak other the pokemon games?
Originally posted by noctrun
mario golf (gbc) works with mario golf (n64)
Also, Mario Tennis and Perfect Dark uses the Transfer Pack, but don't know if the emulated version works with them.

Knuckles

But for Perfect Dark, it use it but HOW? what it does? I've got Perfect Dark rom for GBC and i have all version for N64 (US, PAL, JAP) and i still can't find what it does! Did someone know about that?

noctrun

noctrunal internet surfing guy
N-Rage said:
First the Inputplugin would have to behave correct and then the Emulator must be able to emulate the Emulation >_<

I bet those pokemon games have some special hardware inside the cartriges that is used to play the gameboy games, and that remains unemulated

greatfire said:
Also, Mario Tennis and Perfect Dark uses the Transfer Pack, but don't know if the emulated version works with them.

my post was not meant to be complete, I just posted what I tested using the plugin