What's new

Nintendo To Unveil A New Console Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

jollyrancher

Nintendo has never liked pioneering anything???? Are you crazy??? Just a few things they "didn't" pioneer:

1. Donkey Kong, which along with Pacman and Galaga caused the early 80's videogame insanity.
2. Game and watch - the first real portable gaming system.
3. Gameboy - the first real portable "console" that is the best-selling gaming console ever.
4. With Mario they invented platformers, an entire gaming genre.
5. The NES, which single-handedly revived the slumping gaming industry in the mid 80's.

And the funny thing is that I'm not much of a Nintendo fan anymore.

2fast4u

seems like nintendos price drop for the little black one has done more effect than expected..

http://www.maxconsole.com/?newsid=1323

Nintendo of Canada has taken the lead heading into the holiday season. For the first time in almost 2 years, Sony PlayStation 2 has been knocked off the leadership throne in the Canadian video game hardware industry.

Together, Game Boy Advance and Nintendo GameCube accounted for almost 60 per cent of all hardware systems sold in Canada. In the much publicized console wars, it was Nintendo GameCube that won the battle. Nintendo GameCube captured 43 per cent leadership share of the console market in October. Sony PlayStation 2 and Microsoft X-box trailed with 34 per cent and 23 per cent, respectively.

granted, canada is probably not the largest market you can think of. so this goes on..

http://www.maxconsole.com/?newsid=1309

Figures from market research body NPD show the Cube selling over a quarter of a million units during October, which is 50 per cent higher than any other month in 2003 - and also higher than any sales month the Xbox has registered this year.

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Population wise, Canada is smaller than California. (Also, just a little fun fact, 98% of the Canadian population lives within 150 miles of the Canada/US border. Canada is practically the 52nd state, the 51st being Puerto Rico :p )

Last edited:

Moose Jr.

Raging Moose
AlphaWolf said:
In other words, the losses on the xbox mean nothing to microsoft...It's a battle that nintendo can't win :devil:

No kidding. But if it's a battle at all, then it's yet to get started. If MS was really out to nail Nintendo, regardless of losses, I would think that they would at least try to compete in price with the GC. As it stands, however, the nearest competitor in that respect is the PS2. Food for thought...

neoak

Triforce of Something...
AlphaWolf said:
...the 51st being Puerto Rico :p )

The day that happens, i don't know what to expect. I'm afraid that this little island is in more of a political war than worrying about the people. I thank God that i wasn't born here...

And about the PSP... Remember the 75 million polygons of the PS2... well, the PS2 can do only 5 or 6 max and the GC can do 6 to 12. The Xbox could do more, but the GC have 8 textures per pixel vs the 4 textures per pixel of the PS2 and XBox.

I don't know how people that play and keeps alive the N64 go and sleep with an XBox or a PS2 and :ranting: a GC... I just don't get it. Even worse, bully****ting Nintendo...

And what they are going to unveil, is no Software nor Hardware related. And NO, THEY AREN'T GOING TO QUIT MAKING CONSOLES, you :ranting:.

As for the PSP... Nintendo said a while ago that the next portable would be based in the N64 and GC. The PSP is not the dream you have. If it had those real specs, the PSP would need active cooling -running in batteries-... very smart!

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
smegforbrain said:
Hardly. Nintendo has never liked pioneering anything.

Sony wouldn't have put Nintendo in the position Nintendo is if they'd actually been willing to work with somebody else.

Huh? N64 had quite a lot of collaboration on the hardware. The only thing that stayed traditional on it was the cartridge interface. GameCube went even further - Nintendo pretty much didn't design anything in there themselves.

smegforbrain said:
But to take the drop that Nintendo has?

OMFG THEY TOOK A HUGE DIVE!!1!!!1111 AFTER ONE QUARTER'S LOSSES THEY ARE GONNA GO BANKRUPT FOR SURE!!!1111111! THEY MUST BE FUXORED!!!!!!!111111111111111111111111111111111111111

(see, this is what my rant was about)

smegforbrain said:
No, if NIntendo isn't willing to throw money away like Microsoft is, they won't stay in the console business.

AlphaWolf said:
Tagrineth: if your saying that nintendo only has to outlast microsoft...well, they are in for one hell of a fight.

I didn't say they had to outlast MS. Smeg did. Nintendo doesn't have to 'outlast' MS. N makes profits. You'll see after the next financial quarter.

Moose Jr. said:
No kidding. But if it's a battle at all, then it's yet to get started. If MS was really out to nail Nintendo, regardless of losses, I would think that they would at least try to compete in price with the GC. As it stands, however, the nearest competitor in that respect is the PS2. Food for thought...

Actually MS isn't out to nail Nintendo at all, they're out to nail Sony. MS and Nintendo have a very good relationship, and this gen GCN and Xbox are very effectively tied.

Added:

neoak said:
And about the PSP... Remember the 75 million polygons of the PS2... well, the PS2 can do only 5 or 6 max and the GC can do 6 to 12. The Xbox could do more, but the GC have 8 textures per pixel vs the 4 textures per pixel of the PS2 and XBox.

First off, PS2 has been proven to handle up to 15 Million per second.

Second, your textures per pixel counts are only per pass, not absolute. Xbox can just run a second pass and bang, 8 textures.

And PS2 doesn't even support one texture per pixel pipeline... and having more than ONE layer requires additional passes. But, PS2 has enormous fill rate, so that isn't too much of an issue.

Last edited:

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
smegforbrain said:
But to take the drop that Nintendo has?

No, if NIntendo isn't willing to throw money away like Microsoft is, they won't stay in the console business.
You are damn paranoid or just stupid. Looking now at the sales, nintendo is in a good position, 'nuff said.
Nintendo will not die, not now, not ever. Kthx.

Moose Jr.

Raging Moose
Tagrineth said:
Actually MS isn't out to nail Nintendo at all, they're out to nail Sony.

That's what I was trying to infer.

Doomulation said:
Nintendo will not die..

Agrd. But people still continue to diss the GC left and right. It's like they're trying to justify forking out twice the money for an X-Box or PS2. ;)

Renegade

Wearer of Army Boots
Then all they really had to do was to raise the good points of the system they bought, instead of having to quash other systems :plain:

Cyberman

Nintendo can go bankrupt etc. No company is invulnerable to stupidity LOL.
Nintendo is doing OK from what I've seen.

Atari is a classic example of a company gone bad (see all there stupid computer and game console mistakes).

Cyb

smegforbrain

Doomulation said:
You are damn paranoid or just stupid.[/QUOTE

Actually, I'm neither. But thanks for the piss poor assumption.

[Nintendo will not die, not now, not ever. Kthx.

Now who's making assumptions?

I'm sure Sega thought the same thing though.

Clements

smegforbrain said:
I'm sure Sega thought the same thing though.

Well, the Game Gear, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn and Dreamcast didn't sell as well as hoped, so I think Sega did do the right thing by going software only from an economic point of view- now they are making their loses back.

Nintendo has had better sales from it's consoles, including MASSIVE sales of the GBA, as well as the GC doing decently at the shoulder of XBox. Can't say they are doing badly. They are not doing as well as the PS2 is commercially, but that doesn't mean that Nintendo are failing majorly in any way.

Apple don't sell as much as M$ but they co-exist. It's possible you know.

smegforbrain

Clements said:
Apple don't sell as much as M$ but they co-exist. It's possible you know.

I know it's possible, I'm just not sure how likely it is in the long run, you know?

The gaming industry now rivals that of the movie industry. There's alot of money to be made, but Sony showed how quickly one can gain alot of ground (while Nintendo lost it).

But I can easily see a time where Nintendo doesn't see the consoles themselves as profitable enough, and it will be interesting to see how the GBA holds up when the PSP comes out.
Nintendo could survive on it's games still though, like Sega is doing.

But even then, Nintendo is turning to alot more third-party companies for games for the GC to keep things going.

jollyrancher

C'mon... they're just companies... made up of people that are doing their best to create great software... some will win, some will lose, the best move on and invent new stuff...

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Nintendo has experience in the handheld market, sony doesn't. So, I don't think nintendo will lose there for a while. Besides, nintendo is earning profit now, as ever. And just look at the extreme power of the gamecube...that might make more companies join and develop for it. Hey, even square has made their first ff game for nintendo since the snes.
So, the evidence points that nintendo will not die.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
smegforbrain said:
I know it's possible, I'm just not sure how likely it is in the long run, you know?

The gaming industry now rivals that of the movie industry. There's alot of money to be made, but Sony showed how quickly one can gain alot of ground (while Nintendo lost it).

But I can easily see a time where Nintendo doesn't see the consoles themselves as profitable enough, and it will be interesting to see how the GBA holds up when the PSP comes out.
Nintendo could survive on it's games still though, like Sega is doing.

But even then, Nintendo is turning to alot more third-party companies for games for the GC to keep things going.

Nintendo has been turning to third parties for a while now, they just aren't bending over backward like some other companies *COUGH*MICROSOFT*COUGH* to rake them in.

And Nintendo has only lost ground in the eyes of ANK*'s like you.

*Anti-Nintendo Knights

smegforbrain

Tagrineth said:
And Nintendo has only lost ground in the eyes of ANK*'s like you.
*Anti-Nintendo Knights

Well, it would be nice to know what "ANK*'s" means, so I know whether to laugh at you or just give you the finger.

Either way...

Hexidecimal

Emutalk Bounty Hunter.
Are you really so stupid you don't know what a footnot is and completely miss the ANTI-NINTENDO KNIGHT'S spelled out at the bottom or is this just you trying to up your post count?

Status
Not open for further replies.