What's new

Nintendo To Unveil A New Console Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

smegforbrain

blizz said:
however unlike Sega they are better placed to make a strong recovery,

Actually, didn't Sega get back into the green this past quarter?

Oh, other gaming news from the ol Phantom console: apparently it's going to use Windows XP for it's base (anybody want to bet, if this thing is genuine, that people that own them get hacked in short order? :)

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
smegforbrain, Sega got back into the green but they would've DIED had they not stopped hardware production.

Nintendo is placed well to recover while still maintaining their current hardware-providing business model.

Remote

It would be a doubtful decision of Nintendo not to introduce a model to compete with PSP...

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Yup.

Actually, considering how GCN was designed in the first place, and what its power spec looks like, it could conceivably be made into a portable, possibly even handheld. It's already been discussed a bit at Beyond3D.

Think what a bitch-slap that would be to PSP.

smegforbrain

Tagrineth said:
smegforbrain, Sega got back into the green but they would've DIED had they not stopped hardware production.

I never said they wouldn't have gone under.

However, Nintendo will likely find themselves in the same boat, regardless of how well the GBA is doing, if they stay in the red.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
smegforbrain said:
I never said they wouldn't have gone under.

However, Nintendo will likely find themselves in the same boat, regardless of how well the GBA is doing, if they stay in the red.

See, this is why I started the thread going off on an angry rant...

They post their FIRST LOSS EVER for ONE QUARTER...

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
250.000 sales of the cube...that's about 50.000 less than the ps2 and at least 70.000 more than the xbox. And a whopping 400.000 sales for the gba. Impressive.
As I said, Ninty will not die! :D

smegforbrain

Tagrineth said:
See, this is why I started the thread going off on an angry rant...

They post their FIRST LOSS EVER for ONE QUARTER...

And as I have said, Nintendo isn't a company that has money to throw around.

You don't see them jumping on the online bandwagon. Why? They're rather wait until it's profitable (if ever) before just copying somebody elses work.

They're not interesting in being the pioneer, and it's already bitten them in the ass a few times in the past. It will continue to do so.

Nintendo's well on it's way to removing itself from the console business.

And this "first loss ever" is only the start.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
smegforbrain said:

You don't see them jumping on the online bandwagon. Why? They're rather wait until it's profitable (if ever) before just copying somebody elses work.

They're not interesting in being the pioneer, and it's already bitten them in the ass a few times in the past. It will continue to do so.

And this "first loss ever" is only the start.
Have some sense. Nintendo is *not* going to die. Not now, not anytime soon.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
smegforbrain said:

Actually they have about $6 billion in reserves. There was a big lawsuit of some kind pending in Europe some time ago (don't remember offhand what it was about) and they had been building up reserves in case something went wrong, but it never got off the ground... so N does, in fact, have money to throw around, they just don't want to do it.

It's because this generation, online support has pretty much proved itself to be little more than a gimmick. Xbox Live has garnered very nice support, but for the most part, very few console gamers use any online features with any regularity. Nintendo will certainly have a good online service ready for next gen, but for this one they're waiting for netplay to catch on more.

GameCube has been all about profit from day one.

That's true, to an extent... but with N64, while they were pioneers in some architectural aspects, they were too traditional with the cartridge interface - that's what bit them, not their innovation.

Only in the minds of irritating Sony and MS fanpeople...

smegforbrain

Tagrineth said:
Only in the minds of irritating Sony and MS fanpeople...

Hardly. Nintendo has never liked pioneering anything.

Sony wouldn't have put Nintendo in the position Nintendo is if they'd actually been willing to work with somebody else.

But to take the drop that Nintendo has?

No, if NIntendo isn't willing to throw money away like Microsoft is, they won't stay in the console business.

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Tagrineth: if your saying that nintendo only has to outlast microsoft...well, they are in for one hell of a fight.

IIRC, MS is losing about 200 million a year on the xbox. If microsoft wanted to, they could continue that way for the next 210 years with their current cash reserves, and that isn't counting their 3 billion dollar a year overall profit margin :p

In other words, the losses on the xbox mean nothing to microsoft...It's a battle that nintendo can't win :devil:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.