What's new

Look At This Xbox Thread Gogogogogogogogogo

adi

get out of my house
I can't believe peoples attitudes that after the first few weeks of sale, the xbox is now doomed for failure a la 3DO. I'm no m$ fan myself (apart from win xp which is rather good.. too bad I didn't have to pay for it :) ) but people are ignoring some key facts:

1. The XBox has the best launch line up ever. No one can dispute the quality of Halo, Project Gotham, JSR,.....need I go on? All the previous console failures have had crap line ups.

2. M$ is rich. face it. they're not gonna let the xbox roll over and die without a fight and a few price cuts (heck, if they bring it down to £200, maybe I might get one!)

3. The box and controller are bigger than other consoles and can squash them both metaphorically and literally.

There's my ranting over. I don't know why Im sticking up for Microsoft, but I think people here are getting to be a bit misguided in their judgements.

:cool:

How does that last picture signify 'cool' Martin?

Redah

Go Sweden! Not!
Administrator
I should smack you in the face for this.

What 'great' lineup was there?

Halo, Project Gotham, JSR,.....need I go on?

Oh, that great 3-game lineup!

Yea... and also, we have soooo much to look forward to. I mean... Zelda, Resident Evil... oh no wait, those are going to Gamecube. Okay, how about a new THPS, or MGS... oh damn, those are going to PS2.

Yep... it's looking bright at the XBOX horizon.

Too bad not on our horizon.

OP
adi

adi

get out of my house
Redah said:
I should smack you in the face for this.

What 'great' lineup was there?

Oh, that great 3-game lineup!

Yea... and also, we have soooo much to look forward to. I mean... Zelda, Resident Evil... oh no wait, those are going to Gamecube. Okay, how about a new THPS, or MGS... oh damn, those are going to PS2.

Yep... it's looking bright at the XBOX horizon.

Too bad not on our horizon.

actually, msg x is coming to the xbox , and so is a new THPS. I'm not really that big on the xbox myself, but I think people are writing microsoft off too quickly.

oh sorry slougi, I just couldn't remember the dreamcasts launch line up. But still, the XBOX's one has classic material while the dreamcasts was just good, but not amazing games.

Last edited:

Redah

Go Sweden! Not!
Administrator
theacj said:

actually, msg x is coming to the xbox , and so is a new THPS. I'm not really that big on the xbox myself, but I think people are writing microsoft off too quickly.

What I'm hinting at is that these games are also going to PS2, which means alot of users already with a PS2 are not going to look at XBOX for this. What exclusive goodness will await us?

Many XBOX fanboys tell that 'Microsoft has a big developer backing'... problem is, these developers are also backing other consoles which makes the XBOX just a box to play games from other systems on, but a bit polished. Oh, and at a higher price.

Yup. Good looking horizon :)

Stalkid64

Citizen(sixty)four
XBox has.. Halo... yet anoher `highly original` fps game... with additional 30-sec load times and skipping-stuttering audio (my how I laughed). Think I`ll stick with Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Half Life, Deus Ex, Medal of Honor and Return to Castle Wolfenstein TYVM.
Jet Whateverthehell Radio... er, Dreamcast, anyone? Been there, done that.
Project Gotham Racing... firstly what a god-awful name that is. Secondly, its MSR, only with a terrible controller. Again, been there done that.
`Cube has... Luigi`s Mansion... an original fun-filled game, perhaps not the longest play time (though remember, Mario64 and Goldeneye on Agent difficulty lasted about as long) but still far more fun.
Super Monkey Ball... another original game (!) and one of the most challenging, addictive and lasting games for a loooooong time now.
Waverace Blue Storm... water... water everywhere.... mmm pretty water.... and racing... yes... racing... with a GOOD controller...
And not once have I mentioned Rogue Leader yet...

I just couldn't remember the dreamcasts launch line up. But still, the XBOX's one has classic material while the dreamcasts was just good, but not amazing games

are you on crack?! face it d00d the xbox lineup SUCKS, it plain sucks... project gotham is a mediacore dc game with its ass wiped, halo looks like a snooze without multiplayer... name another good game... go on, i dare yee! scuse me while i go play GTA3, then maybe some VF4

blizz

suddenly I feel all mature :eek:

anyway, basically the X-Box's launch has been a failure everywhere except the US, which is unsurprising really, the X-Box is full of laclustre titles, HALO is a polished game but for the amount of time it's had spent on it, it really ought to be a good game, DOA3 (Which everyone was ranting about how good it will be before the launch) sucks it's the same game, same for Gotham Racing (which no one was ranting about because they knew it was going to be MSR but they never realised that MSR was a good game)

The GC launch wasn't spectacular but if you're realistic you'd know it wouldn't have been able to compete with the PS2 launch and it was certainly better than the Dreamcast launch, the launch games with the GC are very solid and contain some great originals like Super Monkey Ball and Luigi's Mansion, and some very good updates like Rogue and Blue Storm and SSBM (well it's a near launch title ;) )

in the future giving Sony's stupidity/ foolishness I'd like the X-Box to make serious inroads into their market unfortuanately it will be always playing second fiddle in the teen market (IMO M$ should have held off until nearer the PS3 launch with a more devloped piece of kit)

what I really care about the most though is the Gamecube becoming the platform for great games, not just OK games with a few highlights like with the PS2 (MGS2, GTA3, FFX, ICO to name a few) and the X-Box (well it only has GunValkyrie)

and imo FPS really are PC games, anyone who's played Operation Flashpoint will agree.

sk8bloke22

roll for life
xbox has a good line up. its just geared for a typical american audience. halo is decent, dont give the crap about 30 second loading times, as some of the loading times on ps2 fps is absolutely terrible (red faction??), and when half-life first came out i doubt many ppl had pcs fast enuff to hav speedy loading times, i know i didnt, and i still managed. jsr future, is a quality title, it could hav been on the dreamcast and been brilliant, but its on the xbox and is pretty good. doa3 is still reasonable...its better than tekken tag was, and that was the best fighting game for ps2 when that was released. There are enuff decent games, THPS3 is still a decent conversion. it wont fail like the 3d0 or jaguar, becos it has software to back up the hardware specs. and i reckon the moment sega start releasing there xbox-only games, sales will pick up in japan...i could be wrong, but we'll see. also gta3 is coming on the xbox, so ppl will be able to play that.

another thing, the dreamcast had plenty of AMAZING games. it just was released with bad timing. i reckon if sega had released their console at the same time as the ps2, things would be different. but the fact is that dc was released at the time when sony was earning soooooo much profit from the ps1, and the ps2 was on the way, so there was no real competition. ppl were happy to wait and see wat the ps2 would hav to offer after sony's successs. the problem was the ps2 did not offer the photo realistic gfx many hoped for, in fact, the gfx on the dreamcast are pretty similar at times.

pj64er

PJ64 Lubba
blizz said:
The GC launch wasn't spectacular but if you're realistic you'd know it wouldn't have been able to compete with the PS2 launch

actually PS2 didnt have a great launch either. the system didnt get any good games for 1/2 year (not counting GT3).

blizz said:
and imo FPS really are PC games, anyone who's played Operation Flashpoint will agree.

remember blizz, Goldeneye has held the title 'Best FPS' for a very long time. if done correctly, FPS games could work for consoles.

sk8bloke22

roll for life
pj64er said:

actually PS2 didnt have a great launch either. the system didnt get any good games for 1/2 year (not counting GT3).

remember blizz, Goldeneye has held the title 'Best FPS' for a very long time. if done correctly, FPS games could work for consoles.

thats actually wrong. the ps2 was sold out completely the moment it was released. then they ahd shortages, which boosted sales even more wheneva the console did ever reach retail stores. the games were cack, but ppl bought the ps2 regardless of this. and halo is a good fps, i certainly havent seen many bad reviews of it for starters. it brings a smile to my face when i hear m$ are doing terrible overseas, but in my opinion, the console/product itself isnt that bad...

Jaz

Ex-Mod
pj64er said:

IMO, it was only `the best` FPS because of it's 4-player deathmatch, which was brilliant.

Also IMO, there are far better single-player FPS`ers on PC.. :)

Jaz

Ex-Mod
To rule the console scene, you need to rule in Japan.. And that will NEVER happen for M$.. :p

Jaz said:

IMO, it was only `the best` FPS because of it's 4-player deathmatch
You are completely wrong dude.Goldeneye had a magnificent one
player game and still is so fu**ing good.It was the best cos it was a game that rocked in every area and that is acceptable even from
Nintendo's enemies.

Last edited:

flow``

flow``
yes.. goldeneye was the most original game i've ever seen on a console recently. nowadays its the same game, ported from console to console and updated (thps series and other of that sort). i think games like pikmin and such are what companies will need to survivie w/ any new console.. and i agree w/ blizz saying fps games should about be pc only (b/c of mouse/keyboard) and no gamer would ever go to a controller w/o netplay which ends up with a limited fps game.

i have yet to seriously look at any console, but the console in its own right me little to me, no matter who manufactures it - what interest (and should interest) any gamer should be the system library and what they find that fits their taste in different genres of games

flow``

flow``
thats one reason why i hate ppl trying to review and critique games, i find its better to find out what a game is like through actual experience (via renting) then listening to what some other dude tries to tell you

pj64er

PJ64 Lubba
sk8bloke22 said:

thats actually wrong. the ps2 was sold out completely the moment it was released. then they ahd shortages, which boosted sales even more wheneva the console did ever reach retail stores. the games were cack, but ppl bought the ps2 regardless of this. and halo is a good fps, i certainly havent seen many bad reviews of it for starters. it brings a smile to my face when i hear m$ are doing terrible overseas, but in my opinion, the console/product itself isnt that bad...

sk8bloke, i was talking about the games of ps2 at launch. its quite obvious that ps2 sold well at launch. but at that time it was selling on pure 100% hype. good games came long after. So my point was that the launch that sony gave it was not good(faulty dvd driver, mediocre games, like u mentioned, shortages), it sold well only because ppl liked ps1 (just like SNES to n64).