What's new

Linux Help

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
tooie said:
granted that I have not really tried it so I could easily be more harsh. It is not a security issue if you pay attention to the logs and know what your looking for. My issue is some one who has a perm connection to the net installs a distro with everything and id not even aware that this is there and some one spends time trying to hack in them.

Believe me, there are far worse things in windows accepting open connections. Whats worst of all is that microsoft has gone out of their way to ensure that you can't disable them. If I were you, I would be concerned about that way before being concerned about an SSHD, half of whose purpose is security, which you can in fact easily turn off:

# service sshd stop

:)

OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
41.09, I will have to re-crash the system to get the logs again, I'll do it when I get home.

Cyberman

tooie said:
I agree totaly .. but graphic interfaces are better suited mostly for desktops. Which is what I was looking at. I think you should nearly have a totaly different distro for servers and one for desktop. Not one trying to handle both.
I'm not sure what you are getting at... Some distributions are better for servers some are better for people who don't like to get into the nuts and volts of the machine (see Lindows).

Originally posted by tooie
I know people like that you can get remote access to a computer, but I think this is also very dangerous as well security wise. It is like have a trojan sitting on your computer from day 1. Granted it is not as open .. but most passwords are not that hard to break with brute force and most people would never know about it.
Ummm I'm sorry you are comparing bananas (Windows) with Oranges (Linux). They aren't the same thing, let alone even close to the same thing. Linux == secure (if you set it up right) Windows == God help you if anything goes wrong and it will.

You have to have the MS perspective, security is only a financial consideration. IE does it cost us money to make this secure and miss our release date. This is why Windows has been suffering from simple networking errors (IE buffer overrun) that have been known to exist for over twenty years and nothing done about it.

SSH and win login in terms of security are vastly different. Heck Win2k workstation comes with a TELNET command line login server.. TELNET for Gods sake the no security access to your machine method.

Cyb

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Yes, in relative terms, running open telnet is the equivalent to pulling your pants down, bending over, and then telling a gang of fags to not penetrate your defenses.

Thats one degree of separation.

In other words, microsofts idea of security.

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
ssh isn't totally secure either. Like common, direct cable connect will always be the most secure :p

OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
Damn that Nvidia, I tried the 38 drivers and they work perfectly. Looks like the 41 drivers suck on both XP and Linux. I did it exactly the same way I did before with the srpm and it worked fine.

Last edited:
OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
OK, now that the video drivers are working I have a few questions.

1. Where do I put the AA settings, do they go in the XF86Config as well with the other options?

2. I'm setting up freevo but I need to "cron" the XML script. What is that and how would I do it?

3. Will freevo or some other program recieve Composite from my TV Cap card cause I cant find an option for that.

I had another but I cant remember what it was.

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
The readme for the nvidia driver explains where to configure the extra settings like AA, mouse shadows, overclocking, etc. I haven't toyed with that in a long time so I can't remember specificaly where.

As for cron, think of that as the linux equivalent to windows scheduler, only it can do a lot more. There are several different utilities to add cron jobs graphicaly, but I always do it in text mode via "crontab -e". Read up on how to use vim before doing that though. Read this page for more on how to set up the cron jobs via that method. (you only need to read below where it says "Each entry in a crontab..."). A graphical cron scheduler might be easier for you, but I don't know of any that are commonly distributed in any linux distros. Ask malcolm or slougi, they probably know of one. (EDIT: actualy now that I think about it, most distros probably include kcron)

Freevo, from what I hear, is supposed to be pretty innovative, but I haven't used it because I don't use analog capture cards. (I'm all digital :p) Therefore, I couldn't tell you anything about it.

Last edited:

Slougi

For AA read the nvidia readme, they explain it pretty well.
As for cron, I use vcron, where you only need to put a text file in /etc/cron.d/ with the cron job (for root that is), and vcron parses them automatically. Never used anything graphical, though I am sure redhat includes something.
And wtf is Freevo?

OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
The Nvidia readme explains it but they dont say where to put it.

Slougi

Eagle said:
The Nvidia readme explains it but they dont say where to put it.
FULL SCENE ANTI-ALIASING

Anti-aliasing is a technique used to smooth the edges of objects in a
scene to reduce the jagged "stairstep" effect that sometimes appears.
Full scene anti-aliasing is supported on GeForce or newer hardware.
By setting the appropriate environment variable, you can enable full
scene anti-aliasing in any OpenGL application on these GPUs.

Several anti-aliasing methods are available and you can select between
them by setting the __GL_FSAA_MODE environment variable appropriately.
Note that increasing the number of samples taken during FSAA rendering
may decrease performance.

The following tables describe the possible values for __GL_FSAA_MODE
and their effect on various NVIDIA GPUs.

__GL_FSAA_MODE GeForce, GeForce2, Quadro, and Quadro2 Pro
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
0 FSAA disabled
1 FSAA disabled
2 FSAA disabled
3 1.5 x 1.5 Supersampling
4 2 x 2 Supersampling
5 FSAA disabled
This is what the readme says. What you do is export an environment variable. Open a terminal and type: "export
__GL_FSAA_MODE=X", substitute X with a number. I am sure Redhat has some way to set env variables permanently as well, in gentoo you create a text file in /etc/env.d but in redhat it works differently I think.

OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
Thanks slougi, I dont think I want it permanently set, only when I play a game that needs it.

Oh and freevo is the TV capture software we were talking about earlier.

OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
Yes, its a nice looking program, but its documentation is either out of date or just lacking in information.

Slougi

Eagle said:
Yes, its a nice looking program, but its documentation is either out of date or just lacking in information.
This is a common fallacy in open source software, almost always you need to look for support on some other site. Search on google, you will propably find a guide.

The Khan Artist

Warrior for God
Slougi said:
This is a common fallacy in open source software, almost always you need to look for support on some other site.

Either that, or it's very well documented, because the interface sucks and they don't want to redesign it. :p

Cyberman

That's the life of things in freeware, you get what you get, ussually it's not too bad. One or two people are making the software in the spare time, think about the people who my PJ64 originally and you'll understand what I'm saying better. It's a lot of work for little appreciiation often.

Cyb

OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
OK, how do I get startx to start with KDE and not Gnome without switching to graphical logon?