What's new

Linux Help

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
rpm -e --force packagename

The package name would be the same as the rpm's file name, except whack off the .i386.rpm, .i686.rpm, .src.rpm, or what have you. In your case, remember to remove both the GLX and Kernel packages, because they are both part of the driver set.

Don't try it with X running (press control-alt-backspace to kill x, does it in the blink of an eye)

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Once your drivers are up and running, try playing UT or Q3 under linux. You should see a noticeable frame rate improvement over running it in win32. (especialy so if you run hardware optimized distributions like gentoo)

OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
Heh, I'm still learning how to do RedHat, dont think I'd last through a Gentoo install.

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
It's easy to do once you start picking things up. Try doing normal tasks in linux for a while until you get more used to it. There isn't a single task that you can do in windows that you can't do in linux. (well, at least nothing I have ever tried) If you are serious about getting a job in the computer field, I would think its a good thing to learn. All unices are pretty much clones of each other, so if you learn one, you learn em all. Unless you decide to work for microsoft themselves, odds are that unix skill will come in handy. The only problem with linux is that its learning curve is much steeper than windows is.

OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
ok, trying to recompile, but I need the kernel development tools, tried installing them but I need cyrus-sasl-devel and krb5-devel. Are these on the linux CD's cause I cant find them anywhere in the package browser?

OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
AlphaWolf said:
It's easy to do once you start picking things up. Try doing normal tasks in linux for a while until you get more used to it. There isn't a single task that you can do in windows that you can't do in linux. (well, at least nothing I have ever tried) If you are serious about getting a job in the computer field, I would think its a good thing to learn. All unices are pretty much clones of each other, so if you learn one, you learn em all. Unless you decide to work for microsoft themselves, odds are that unix skill will come in handy. The only problem with linux is that its learning curve is much steeper than windows is.

Well yeah, thats why I'm installing Linux, but I want to learn one distro for now, I'll work on Gentoo after I learn Red Hat.

OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
Found those files for download on the web. Sorry if it seems like I'm talking to myself, but at least I'm starting to solve things myself.

OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
More problems, I cant get the krb-libs to install. It doenst say, why just that it cannot install it.

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Your better off running the install again (not a full reinstall, just add packages) and adding the developer packages. In fact, I always install everything. But then of course I keep massive hard disks sitting around as well :)

BTW, you have just found the exact reason why most linux veterans call RPM evil.

OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
OK, well Ive just about had it with Linux already. I recompiled the source for the nvidia drivers, now it flashes the login for the console and goes black. Cant even get into the login this time. And here you people say linux is so much better, but it seems like nothing but trouble.

Slougi

Eagle said:
OK, well Ive just about had it with Linux already. I recompiled the source for the nvidia drivers, now it flashes the login for the console and goes black. Cant even get into the login this time. And here you people say linux is so much better, but it seems like nothing but trouble.
Well, that is what you get for using redhat :p
I seriously suggest Gentoo if you have the patience to compile from source. Just make sure you have a printed installation manual and desktop configuration guide. On the other hand you can browse the net from the command line, so it does not really matter. It was the first distro I installed as well...

Anyway, as for your problem, try addding the module "NVdriver" to /etc/modules.autoload. The latest nvidia drivers seem to need this for some reason (they do not support devfs correctly, that is dynamic module loading).

OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
Well, if I have to compile it from the source, what makes that easier than Red Hat, still seems like a lot of trouble with stuff I dont know how to do.

As for the NVdriver thing, I cant get into Linux at all anymore. I'm not reinstalling it and I'm not trying another distro, if I cant get into it, its gone and I'm sticking with Windows.

When I started this project I was worried about compatibility and this is why. It seems the world is ready for linux, but linux isnt quite ready for it. Maybe in the future they will make more & better drivers for it, but right now its looking grim.

I'd still like to recover this so any help is appreciated, but like I said, I'm not reinstalling, and I'm not getting another distro.

Slougi

Eagle said:
Well, if I have to compile it from the source, what makes that easier than Red Hat, still seems like a lot of trouble with stuff I dont know how to do.
Because gentoo handles dependencies for you. For example you needed the kernel dev tools to compile the nvidia driver, gentoo does that automatically. And the install is not as hard as it is made out to be. If you can use fdisk to make partitions, you can install gentoo.

As for the NVdriver thing, I cant get into Linux at all anymore. I'm not reinstalling it and I'm not trying another distro, if I cant get into it, its gone and I'm sticking with Windows.
Well, as Alpha said the learning curve is steep :) However once you work a little on it and get it to work, it really makes sense. However with redhat you will never learn what Linux is all about, since it hides the command line from you.

When I started this project I was worried about compatibility and this is why. It seems the world is ready for linux, but linux isnt quite ready for it. Maybe in the future they will make more & better drivers for it, but right now its looking grim.
Well, my mother uses linux, my brother and father as well. If you can set it up correctly it is quite ready :)

I'd still like to recover this so any help is appreciated, but like I said, I'm not reinstalling, and I'm not getting another distro.
Well, if you cannot boot into it at all get some linux bootdisk. Try tomsrtbt if you want a boot floppy, or a gentoo install cd (version 1.2 is only 16MB).
Boot from it, mount the correct partition and reverse the changes to XF86Config. If you need more help, someone else will have to help since I need to go to school now :S You could ask in the gentoo forums even, they are quite newbie friendly.

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Linux isn't designed to be user friendly, in fact hardly any effort has gone towards user friendliness at all. Linux is designed to be powerful, robust, stable, and secure. Thats exactly what it is, and exactly why many like it.

That user friendliness will come in time, some companies are already investing in the user friendly portion, and IMO it has gone a long ways in the last 2 years. (it's already more newbie friendly than windows 3.1/dos, which had 8 years in the making before they got where they were)

But yes, I agree with slougi, redhat kinda sux.

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
Never ever configure linux to run xwindow at boot time....
It's so easy to do it manually or add it in your .bashrc and if something goes wrong you can still repair it on the console.

I didn't try any redhat distro for a while, but last time i tried i was able to hit some key during startup process ('I' if i remember right). It'll ask you for each services, if u want to run it (similar option as dos, w95 and w98 had). Say yes to everything besides xwindow thingy.

Could u say exactly what happens during xwindow startup ? Even little glitches that doesn't seem important, maybe it'll give us an idea on where exactly is it crashing as xwindow is running several layer (nvidia module, then xwindow in itself, and finally window manager)

And one last thing, nv open source driver provided by xfree guys is not that bad if u don't want to use 3d applications. It's shame nvidia didn't provided more support to third party developper like other manufacturers did....

Last edited:
OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
Yeah, its not that I'm opposed to the user unfriendliness, but one of the reasons I'm trying it is becuase people keep telling me its gotten so much better and I was looking for a viable alternative to Windows for my parents who aren't very good with computers. I dont think that will be possible with Linux.

Also I'm using RedHat cause my school uses that, I dont want to do anything else right now becuase I dont want to switch between three OS styles, two is enough.

Anyway, I think I was tired last night and I was pissed that it wasnt working so that may account for the hostility in my last post :p

Oh and Slougi, It doesnt hide the command line at all. It has Terminal that is the same thing, or you can login at the command line without the terminal.

I made a boot disk when I installed, I didnt think of that.

Hactarux, I'll try to access the logs if I can get back in to the console, but Ive told you exactly what it does. It reaches the xwindow start up and goes black. I can let it sit there and it just stays that way.

Cyberman

Well I have been using slackware for 8 years the most user unfriendly of them all. Anyhow
Cyb's how to set up Xwindows:

1) use the Xfree setup program to get the proper modes for your video card. Editing the video crap can drive you insane, don't do it unless you are POSITVE you know what you are doing. I did it for a number of video adapters (from PVGA to Daimond Stealth 3d) that way. Nividia is a horse of a different color, rather trying to install there stuff.

2) EDIT STARTX.. do not assume it's setup right to begin with.. big pain no it takes a few minutes.

3) you can switch to your console FROM X be SURE to have a ROOT login on one of your virtual consoles and then login as a user. do NOT run X as root or assume root is your user account (it's not and that could be a fatal error).

4) run startX You should be able to switch to your root console if things go weird and then nuke the window manager.

The details of the later aren't comming because I haven't setup X in a year. My memory is good but not that good :) I learned all this from the man pages and looking specifically for what I can do if something goes nuts.

You should have a BASIC window manager.. TWN works fine to start with. Running GNOME is kind of scarey because it's huge. Looks cool though :)

Cyb

OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
I got back in, and I just finished installing everything but I will probably uninstall the server stuff, so I have KDE and everything else.

1. XFree setup isnt cutting it, it wont set up properly, I cant even enable the 3D Acceleration. I do have Nvidia Geforce 3 Ti200.

2. What do I edit in StartX?

3. So your saying dont log into the GUI as root at all? How would I set things up for the GUI if I cant login as root?

4. What?

I'm sorry, remember I dont know a lot about this, and I cant quite understand what your saying.