What's new

Linux Help

OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
OK, I ran the NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-4191.i386.rpm and then I rand the NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-4191.rh80up_2.4.18_18.8.0.i686.rpm

Then I opened /var/log/XFree86.0.log and found the location of the XF86Config file my system was using. Then I opened that file and changed nv to nvidia in the device section, and added Load "glx" to the module section and removed Load "dri" from the same section. Then I rebooted.

When it booted it flashed the command login several times then took me to a blue screen with a blue box in the middle with two boxes that looked like they should be buttons (basically a primitive GUI) However all the text was giberish. One of the buttons did nothing the other brought me back to the command prompt login where I could login.

OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
Basically I was following the readme file that nvidia provided. Someone at school said it was because Nvidia's latest driver is crap, if its anything like their last 4 windows drivers then I wont argue there.

OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
This might be easier if we can talk more rapidly.

ICQ 41424644
AIM AlshainB
MSN/Yahoo alshain_beta

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
You can check that the kernel module is loaded correctly (run 'lsmod').
You can also set the resolution to something standard (640*480*16bits at 60Hz) to see what happen. It has to be done
in the xf86config file...
When you are log in (in console mode), if you try to run xwindow, is there any particular error or warning message ?
Damn, nvidia drivers are really weird sometimes, either on windows or linux.... :/

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
Good question, i'd say i686 but maybe the module need to have the same settings as your kernel and i guess you didn't compile it yourself and i don't know much about the redhat distro to identify this, anyway, you can still try both of them...

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Eagle said:
Was I supposed to use the i686 or i386?

Depends on your processor. If its an older generation processor (e.g. pentium or below), use i386. If its a pentium 2 or up, use i686. If you use an athlon, use the "athlon" (not athlon64) rpm, because your processor will run it faster than the i686 drivers because of the 3dnow extensions.

All 3 of those RPMs should run on an athlon, don't think the athlon one will run on an intel though.

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
It sounds like linux is running fine. Linux was designed so that you can still do anything from the bash prompt. X-windows is merely a graphical extension that programs can take advantage of. X-windows isn't running because your video drivers are misconfigured.

OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
OK, I'm gonna try and reset the driver back to "nv" with pico and see if I can get back in.

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
i686 binary is faster for pentium 2 and better processors. Will not run on anything below a pentium 2 class. i386 will run on...well...any 32-bit x86.

Your best bet though, is always to compile the driver sources on your own, because in effect your drivers will be binary optimized for your specific system. It's not hard at all to do this, but it may confuse you if you are new to linux. There are about 3 extra steps involved, the nvidia driver readme explains it.

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
When ever you are unsure always use the lower number ;)

i386 and i686 have different processor optimizations. i386 are optimized for no processor.

i686 are optimized for Pent II and AMD k7 (durons/athlons).

Don't use the i386/i686 packs under a 64-bit processor, they won't work.

At any time you are unsure enough to post the question somewhere, just grab the source and compile it yourself. Often when you compile ANYTHING is will be faster and take up less hard drive space then a pre-compiled/package install.

Compiling = good

when you compile you can add in options that make the driver/software faster and more stable, and you can customize many of the defaults making the OS what you want it to be.

The only downfall to this is having to read the muanual that comes along with the driver and/or software to know which options you need st set, or which you can alter.

I hope you got some useable information for that gabble up there ;)

OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
Well, I have an Athlon XP so the i686 should work? It wont let me install the package again and wont let me update it since it has the same version, how do I remove it?

Is recompileing the SRPM thing its talking about?

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Malcolm said:

Compiling = good

What would be cool is if there was a gentoo/dbn style distro that has the same out of the box hardware compatibility and same ease of installation as mandrake. Would take a decade to install though :)

OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
Nevermind to all those questions I figured it all out.

Last edited: