What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

hi rez textures support and detail texturing!

ShizZy

Emulator Developer
What would really be interesting would be an optional normal map for dot product bump mapping, or simply just a detail map. It would be too cost efficient (and probably not even possible with the N64) to get the bump mapping to react to the dynamic lights, but directional lighting is certainly possible (and without using pixel shaders).

If done right, that would make old games really shine.

KMan

The Wu Tang Master
MuhMuh said:
Can't somebody help me?
When i try to use them, that is what i get:

I'm having that problem with color index images with less than 256 colors in it's table. I had to go into paint shop pro and load in the original images color table and then save. Then it came out fine. It seems that Photoshop has problems with this.

Hope this helps.

_pm_

Pathetic Member
Federelli said:
Indeed, i can't get photoshop to force the 47 color palette (for example), once i've edited a texture :(.
Use the "copy-to-paint" method I mentioned in the SSB thread (yes, it's pretty annoying but it's a workaround anyways).

Btw, I recommend using Paint Shop Pro for ci textures. You can work with palettes without such problems.

Last edited:

_pm_

Pathetic Member
Federelli said:
Indeed it's nice using paint, but it's also nice for the software you pay for to work as it should :).
Good point, although it's not very nice for me using paint for retexturing, hehe :) I wonder why the PhotoShop developers didn't "consider" adding better palette support for color-indexed image formats.

JttL

Photoshop CS

Photoshop itself doesn't have good palette support, but if you need to work with paletted pictures use ImageReady ( comes with Photoshop CS ). It's very much like photoshop but tool palettes are a bit different and elsewhere than them used to be in Photoshop. It's takes few hours to get used to it but I can promes it will do what you need.

xamenus

Shouldn't priority in emulation be towards emulation accuracy? Emulation is about preserving games and playing them exactly (or as closely as possible) as the real console would, not re-making them. A "re-made" N64 game being played on an emulator is not nostalgic and isn't faithful to the idea of remembering past experiences of gaming on the real system.

I, for one, don't agree with this hi-res stuff being prioritized, since my N64 is not hi-res. Not to shoot down anyone's ideas, but accuracy should come first, hi-res second. Not the other way around. Just my two cents.

Trotterwatch

Emulation is about preserving games and playing them exactly (or as closely as possible) as the real console would, not re-making them

Emulation is what the authors and users want it to be. MAME takes the documenting hardware route very seriously. N64 emulation has that, but you've got to realise the authors may want to have fun doing something else than bashing their heads against brick walls to solve an issue.

You can guarantee that the authors will not let bettering their plugins be sidetracked by frivolities such as this. At the moment people enjoy this, much as I've noted you enjoy using filters in Snes emulation etc (remember the filters were not on the actual machine).

If you want the actual experience, go out and buy a 2nd hand console with the game of your choice.

Maybe some of this frustration comes down to the textures maybe not looking the best on your card eh?

Last edited:

xamenus

Trotterwatch said:
Emulation is what the authors and users want it to be.
True, the authors and users can make it go where they want. But I still think it's unfortunate when emulation becomes just a big "hack". ;)
MAME takes the documenting hardware route very seriously. N64 emulation has that, but you've got to realise the authors may want to have fun doing something else than bashing their heads against brick walls to solve an issue.
I guess you have a point. And plus, at least hi-res isn't "enabled by default". :)

I've noted you enjoy using filters in Snes emulation etc (remember the filters were not on the actual machine).
Actually, I never said that I like filters in that post. On the contrary...

Maybe some of this frustration comes down to the textures maybe not looking the best on your card eh?
I do realize that I don't have a top-notch card for N64 emulation, but I can accept that. :p Jabo's and Glide64+eVoodoo are IMO sufficient for gameplay. :)

Last edited:

_pm_

Pathetic Member
IceFox said:
Shouldn't priority in emulation be towards emulation accuracy?
But I still think it's unfortunate when emulation becomes just a big "hack".
If it wasn't a "big hack", the system specs would be really high. For example, video would be probably emulated 100% in software mode for a close-to-perfection emulation (and to make it look exactly on every computer, without depending on your video card 3d capabilities), like the MAME Team is doing with their emu. This way, video compatibility is almost perfect, but it is also extremelly slow (I mean, for 3d games). And I don't think anybody here wants that.
Btw, I don't think the term "big hack" is appropiate, I think it's offensive. :plain:

Last edited:

hizoka10

Hi rice,
Thanks a lot for implementing ciByRGBA textures. It relly helps and look really better.
Would it be possible to reintroduce texture updating while switching windowed/fullscreen, because it really was simplifying textures test step and was allowing 16x textures and, as you can see on my screenshots some 4x textures are allways a bit blur.
On other screenshot (with red ellipse), you can notice that there is a little texture placement problem that cause floating part cause the texture start to repeat itself near transparent part. It doen't appear on Jabo's plug-in so it should not be game's bug.

neo64

Would't detail-texturing be possible? Perhaps this can be added to the plugin by attaching another string to the hires-texture-files referencing to the appropriate detail texture.....

Mojo Man!!!

texture thief
4x texture limit work around

This process allows you to replace textures with new ones up to 1024x1024 in directx and larger in ogl. The first step is to take a 4x resize of the texture and copy it. Then take that copy and edit it how you like at any resolution. Then rename the 4x texture to something like 4xLegend of Zelda... Then rename your new texture to that of the 4x one. Here is a picture of grass in LOZ:OOT scaled from 32x32 to 1024x1024 :p

THIS ONLY WORKS IN RICE 6.1.1 or older!

Last edited:

hizoka10

Thanks for your trick but it was what I was talking about (when switching windowed/fullscreen mode), but I can't have it working with beta 10, and even with older versions, each time you want to have textures greater than 4x you must load 4x versions before and then change those 4x with 16x textures and it's a bit borring when playing.

Federelli

Beta Tester
Anyway, more than 4x for every single texture is overkill, you'd end up using a bunch of 1Kx1K textures, which would kill your vid.

_pm_

Pathetic Member
Mojo Man!!! said:
...Here is a picture of grass in LOZ:OOT scaled from 32x32 to 1024x1024 :p
Sorry to say, but I don't think that using 32X textures (32x32=1024) is a good idea, using probably one or two 32x textures may be fine, but, as Federelli said, a bunch of textures would EAT your video card memory. :plain:

Second, I think Rice corrected the new betas to avoid that "more-than-4x" workaround, and to prevent a "more-than-4x-mania" in the texture packs for textures which actually don't deserve too much "detail".

And last but not least, the DirectX renderer doesn't handle correctly textures with more that 1024 pixels wide/high.

Last edited:

Mojo Man!!!

texture thief
Have you tried it? It works fine with my Geforce 4ti 128MB.
I didn't say that you should use 32x textures for everything I just wanted to show what it would look like and to say that for some textures (like grass) 4x in my opinion isn't enough.

Kolano

I still feel that limiting texture size should be up to the texture authors, rather than forcing only 4x. 4x is simply not enough resolution for many textures, and with 256m+ video cards availible these large textures will certainly NOT be a big issue. Moreover if they are it is certainly up to the user to not use them.