What's new

Grand Theft Auto Bad!

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
According to a news article I got from Super Play.NET (swedish magazine, I know :p), I found some interesting news. It seems that the grand theft auto games are NOT good at all! In fact, it seems they've caused a little incident... hehe... the original article is in swedish, but I translated it a little quickly, so I'll post both of them:

En amerikansk pojke har skjutit tre poliser efter att ha gripits och förts till polisstationen i Fayette, Alabama, varefter han flydde i en stulen polisbil. Spelanknytningen i det hela är att han enligt föräldrarna spelat extremt mycket Grand Theft Auto-spel innan det hela skedde, och därför stämmer de nu helt ”logiskt” Wal-Mart, som sålde spelen till deras då 16-åriga son (spelet har 17-årsgräns i Alabama). Enligt familjens advokat bidrog de fyra inblandade företagen i distributionskedjan till att ”träna pojken att döda tre män”. De fyra företag som nämns är Take 2, Wal-Mart, Gamestop och Sony (eftersom spelet spelas på PlayStation2).

An american boy have shooten three police officers after having been arrested and taken to the police station in Fayette, Alabama, whereafter he fled in a stolen police car. The game connection in the whole is that he, according to the parents, had played extremely much grand theft auto before the whole incident and therefore they now "logically" sue Wal-Marts, which sold the games to their 16-year old son (the game is from 17 years and up in Alabama). According to the family's lawyer, the four involved companies that distrubuted these games helped to "train the boy to kill three men." The four companies that are named are Take 2, Wal-Mart, Gamestop and Sony (since the game is played on Playstation2).

Now that's neat... I must say, I never did like those games. Now it seems all the more reason those games should be banned o_O

Last edited:

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
heh, anyone who takes games litterally shouldn't be allowed to live. This kid was 16, you are supposed to be 18 to play this game... theres a reason for Age stickers you know! I for one do not give a rats shit that a kid took a game too far.

I am a fan of Grand Theft Auto and yet I have never, never... ran someone over.. shot someone etc.. I think you'll find you're one of the minoritys who doesn't like this game... nobody is forcing you to play it either so don't spoil it for the rest of us by trying to get it "banned" although you'll ultimately fail.

Why should it get banned anyway? that kid could've gone and murdered someone whether he played it or not. It just proves thats the how unmentally sound this kid was in the first place.

There was murder before GTA and there is murder after it as well. It is nothing new. I hate people who tell me why I shouldn't play a perfectly harmless game "Because a kid killed someone you could too"-ha.

Shpongled

News Junkie
Wow, that's too bad. I personally love GTA, but the game developers shouldn't be to blame. As-if anything in that game can't be seen on television already? Please...

Next there'll be an article about someone playing too much Mario Brothers, running around killing turtles, eating mushrooms, then hiding in sewer pipes.

OP
Doomulation

Doomulation

Hehe, that would be fun. I'm not a big fan of gta, but it's just my personal opinion. The thing is, though, that it was the game that caused the guy to do it. I don't that if he was 18 years of age, it would have mattered.

The gta games are just over the line, if you ask me. Too violent, and gives too many bad ideas. As for me... I tend to stick to fantasy or adventure games.
Well, well...

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
You're forgetting of the positive effects GTA can have, asides from moronic kids taking it too seriously, if you ever have the urge to steal a car without any consequences.. you can do it in GTA... the whole point of games is being able to do things you cannot do in real life...

GTA is not the only violent video game... hell Metriod Prime is violent too... you shoot things in there... so its ok for me to blame that for my Mass murderings? NO it is not.

Trotterwatch

Hehe, that would be fun. I'm not a big fan of gta, but it's just my personal opinion. The thing is, though, that it was the game that caused the guy to do it. I don't that if he was 18 years of age, it would have mattered.

GAMES DO NOT CAUSE PEOPLE TO KILL

To kill you need to lack a basic function that actually gives you rational thought, of right and wrong, of action and consequence. If parents fail to spot their children are psychopaths then it is they who are responsible.

The gta games are just over the line, if you ask me. Too violent, and gives too many bad ideas.

If children need a games series such as GTA to get these type of ideas, then to be fair their schooling must be incredibly sub standard. Personally I think they should ban news reporting as anyone who sees that (and children can) will no doubt wish to re-enact what is happening.

Bottom line, if people wish to kill they will kill. Games are just the medias scapegoat for the moment. I can only think of one (mainstream) game that deserves to be vilified and that is Manhunt; for it isn't even much of a game :D

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Hey, I like manhunt :p

Its fun. Seriously a Human-Being is responcible for his or her own actions, GTA is not the first violent thing I have ever seen and it is by far the last. Notice I am not compelled to kill anything?

Like trotter says:
GAMES DO NOT CAUSE PEOPLE TO KILL! :D

Eagle

aka Alshain
Doomulation said:
The thing is, though, that it was the game that caused the guy to do it. I don't that if he was 18 years of age, it would have mattered.

Just because he (or the press) says it was the game that caused him to do it, doesn't mean it was. Its a lack of proper parenting that leads kids to do things like this. Parents don't want to take responsibility for their actions so they find what looks like it might be a target to shift the blame to. Honestly, the Matrix series had more gunfights than I could count and yet I dont recall ever hearing about a person jumping off a roof with a gun cause he thought he could make it to the other side.

Parents who blame video games for their own lack of parenting skills should be forbidden to have kids.

Shpongled

News Junkie
I swear, I was just now playing "The Simpsons: Hit & Run" and I had to ALT-TAB out to share this.

At the end of level 1, Marge makes Homer take all the copies of the latest "violent video game" from the delivery truck, because she believes it will corrupt the young gamer minds.

The first mission in level 2, you are Bart Simpson and you have to get to the store and grab the last copy of the cool video game, but when he gets there there aren't any because Marge & Homer destroyed most the copies.

Then Bart says "When will people learn. Video games don't kill people, they just kill their minds!"

Just found it appropriate since this conversation was started today. BTW, Hit & Run rules. :)

smcd

I agree with most people here - video games have ratings for a reason, and people kill people, not video games, guns, etc. Parents should be more responsible, it isn't the game maker's fault, nor the stores. True, most stores (At least not here) don't check ID when buying mature games, but they do with movies and occasionally music, which is weird, but the stores shouldn't be responsible to pick up responsibilities of a parent.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Hey guys, I just went out and killed 5 people with a light saber.. I saw it on Star Wars so its George Lucas' fault! ;)

smcd

You had to vent your frustrations regarding the ALL NEW TOTALLY REMASTERED t3h R0X0R editions? I don't blame you, they make me want to kill someone too ;)

tkf

If that kid´s parents failed to give him SOME common sense by the age of sixteen, I think they should be jailed. Shit, you don't have to be a genius to know that real life is not a game.

WhiteX

I would like to ask if the kid found the gun with wich he perpetrated the murderous acts inside the GTA box or if sony provided him with some sort of projectile shooting gamepad.
Jokings aside, video games do not kill ppl, lack of parent responsability, lack of love and self respect and most of all the basic moral teatching that should be given home kill ppl.
As for the video game setting example, i am a huge megaman fan since i was 12 but i never severed my arm in order to install a gun into my body.

OP
Doomulation

Doomulation

They're all against me :( Oh well, what does it matter? I suppose video games do not kill people, although it might give them ideas on doing stuff. But nevertheless, video games can cause other things, such as people copying the bad language of gta, which is extremely annoying.