What's new

God - Not this question AGAIN!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
/me owns a 27" hdtv, but no modern day consoles.

has a vga input on the back, use your imagination of what I use it for. BTW, pc's make the absolute best dvd players :p

Sukh

Long gone...
I'd say the following about all systems:

PS2 - Lots of games (some good, some even better :), but the console is shit as is the controller :)
GC - Some (about 5) excellent games at the moment, but not much else. However, many new games coming out soon - especially first party.
XBOX - Microsoft's test bed console. Don't expect to get much in the long run... i'd say look out for xbox 2 - MS have gone a tad bit wrong on their first console.

:p)

Gorxon

Administrator
Acorn said:
I'll go with upgrade yer PC :)

From my experince (sp?) though, gamecube would be the way to go. I don't hate microsoft, I don't love microsoft. I've got something againt Playstation but I'll get to that in a moment. Xbox doesn't offer the types of games I would play, and the controller sucks (tm). At times, it has trouble simply loading things. On the other hand, it has good features, very expandable (we already proved multiple times console expansion just looses money though), and the graphics are the second best. PS2 deff has the best graphics, hands down. Decent load times, but under gamecube for the most part (hard to compare since none of the games I was in contact with were on any two systems). Gameplay rocks, and the controller is the best of the three. By far. Waaaaaaaay far. I hates PSOne because it took away a few titles that belonged to PC. PS2, FFX is awsome. Everything you load on it looks great, and a lot have good gameplay. This system is deff the most developed for. *most* as in numbers. Gamecube has a pretty poor controller (when will they learn I want my hand to go around it, not feel like I'm trying to palm a beach ball!!). Games are the best - few above PS2 few below, but they play sooooo well.

Ok, my creditentials: I don't own any of these systems. I spend a lot of time at my cousins however, and am/was in daily contact with the systems. All three. Damn rich bastards. Played on a HDTV, so none of the artificial 1/2 of the picture missing missing blur it and it looks cool effect.

Note: Specs are not the end thing to look at... specs are not games, gameplay, or even how good it looks. Specs are potential, and nothing more.

Xbox: Most of the potential in many areas. Worst games. (How can we phrase this.... no console was bad... they were all cool).

PS2: FFx alone makes it worth it.... Damn that was awsome :) You can tell what I spent the most time on..

Gamecube: Best overall games, preformance (not equaling speed or graphics, but the way games run).

Basicly, the tally up the games and see which one wins is the way to go. BUT only tally the games you would actually BUY (not just think are cool) and give them a rating 1-10 or whatever. Assuming there is no specific game you just have to have, the most points is the one to look into deeper. Yea, I'm poor, I think and dream a lot before I buy.

Well, I have some comments on this....
First of all, FFX sure isn't worth buying a PS2 for. This is MY opinion tho, and I'm not interesting in arguing about it...most of the FF games (the old ones) are way better, although it is in no way a bad game...but it's just not as good as to expect from Square...???

And, "PS2 deff has the best graphics, hands down."....you got to be kidding me??! Sure FFX is pretty, but the Xbox delivers by far better gfx than the PS2. The GCN also have better gfx, and remember, developers haven't even started to push those systems yet...PS2 is older and programmers have been playing around with it for a long time already. But, the PS2 is doing amazingly good gfx wise considering that it's much older than the other two consoles, but it just ain't as good. Many PS2 games runs at CRAPPY framerates (GTA3 - most choppy game ever?). If the Xbox or GCN was to be put down to such low framerates the gfx would beat it even more than it does now . I know i'll get a lot of flaming for this, but I have to point out as you said, specs is not what to look at...it's the games. Everyone has a personal taste when it comes to games so when getting a console go for the one you think has the best games and/or will get the best games. All consoles (minus Xbox? :happy: :devil: ) has some must own games so you really have to own them all to be totally satisfied...that's the way it is and that's the way it's gonna be. To bad most people (including me) don't have the money to spend on getting multiple consoles...:cry:

OP
Grant64

Grant64

DC Emu Fanatic
To Stez - I like Me & My - dub i dub!!! Don't know why I can just do it obviously I don't have a crowd to perform to in my home but occasionally go into woking (Town in england) and show them what i can do

Stalkid64

Citizen(sixty)four
Critical analysis is fun...

crhylove said:
i'd have to say xbox, but most of you will read that as flamebait.

here's why: (though most of you fanboys won't even read this.)

the simple fact is, gameplay on the ps2 sucks. i've played a variety of games on it, and enjoyed ZERO. i've played many of the same titles and other titles on an xbox and loved them.

Well... there's a well thought out analysis of reasons. Someone here should be writing for ONM UK... the same games are great on a different console? Uh, the same games on a different console are the same games. I'd love to know quite WHY such games are better... or a name of one, for example.
gamecube has like 2 games worth buying ATM, and may have more, but how on earth can you tell at this time? the bulk of good nintendo titles arent' out yet.
Neither apparently are the majority of the XBox ones. One year on, we still have Halo. That's it. And on the horizon... well, Halo 2 and... um... wait... any second now... which is again why the console is selling terribly.
Fact is Luigi's Mansion, Pikmin, Rogue Leader, Monkey Ball, SSBM, Waverace Blue Storm, Starfox Adventures, Animal Leader and the glorious `Sunshine gives the NGC a minimum of nine "must-play/own" games in a very short period of time. Not even adding the none-exclusive but immensely enjoyable Timesplitters 2.
Who wants to bet against Metroid Prime, Mario Kart, Soul Calibur 2, Starfox `Namco`, 1080 2, F-zero, Mario Tennis, and even potentially FF, Jedi Outcast, Medal of Honor, (great PC games both), Driver 3, and maybe even the intriguing XIII all being at least above average? The vast majority it is not a stretch to say will be must-own titles. The bulk of the `good`NGC titles as you put it, aren't out yet because the console only just recently launched in certain territories. Developers don't make games for unproven consoles with unknown sales quantities. But they're undeniably backing the NGC in droves now.
i'd say the "safe bet" is the gamecube, and the smart bet is the xbox. the lazy bet who likes to vote for the currently leading candidate goes for ps2.
I won't even argue that point other than to say someone who chooses the least likely console to do anything now the "smart" bet has a very flawed sense of logic. Would you similarly go out and buy, say, a laserdisc player now DVD is outclassing it in sales terms? Or an IMac when the PC has all the good games coming to it and is a larger platform? How is it a "smart" bet compared to even the PS2?
but hey, if you MUST own a console, you should steal it. ALL 3 corporations are INHERENTLY evil in the bulk of their transactions and support DRM. so i wouldn't give a one of them a F*$king DIME.
Hell i'd probably get physically violent on an employee of any of the 3 companys if i knew one.
So... why exactly are you in an emulation/gaming forum if you never give any money to these causes, and indeed seem to blame everything on random corporations? They're evil because they make money from entertaining people? This sad corporations-control-everything worldview is really tired and more than a little pathetic. Do you actually own a console? Or a PC? Play games? Use productivity software? Or even an ISP? Because every time you do that - shock! - you give a big company money.
Thats how people pay for services y'know. At least, in the world the rest of us live in.

Last edited:

Stezo2k

S-2K
Grant64 said:
To Stez - I like Me & My - dub i dub!!! Don't know why I can just do it obviously I don't have a crowd to perform to in my home but occasionally go into woking (Town in england) and show them what i can do

Heh, cool, I have a thing for smile DK songs aswell :) especially Mr.Wonderful on 3rd mix :) But at the moment i like:

Fixx - Vanity Angel From DDR Euromix 2
Tenth Planet - Ghosts (vincent de moor mix) from DDR Max
Max300/Unlimited from DDR Max/2
B4U - 4thmix/5th mix/Euromix 2
D2R - DDR Max 2
Burning The Floor - DDR 4th Mix/Euromix 2
Mr.Wonderful - 3rd Mix
Celebrate Nite (Euro Trance Mix) - DDR Max 2
Do It all Night - 3rd mix/Euromix (arcade)
Dam Dariam - 3rd mix/Euromix (arcade)
Japan - 5th mix
Rhythm & Police Kog3 remix - 4th mix plus/Extra mix/Solo 2000
ERA (i prefer the full version) - 4th Mix

Those are a few of my fave DDR trax :) and are really addictive to play :)

Stez

OP
Grant64

Grant64

DC Emu Fanatic
I like La Senourita from euromix arcade! Have the arcades been dumped?

OK here is my decision a friend gave me a few PS2 games free!!!! so I am gonna find a PS2 and cube for about 200 quid! and then get mario sunshine and star fox adventure!!!

PS - I have my keyboard set like a USA keyboard. Can someone tell me how to change it back

Stezo2k

S-2K
Grant64 said:
I like La Senourita from euromix arcade! Have the arcades been dumped?

yeah i used to like that, but i played it too much :)

i'd be the 1st to know if the arcade version has been dumped heh, and i dont think it has.

And theres no real point when we have stepmania for PC ( www.stepmania.com ) Stepmania is a DDR simulator for PC and is nearly 100% DDR Max Like.

PPL create files called .dwis for these, these are the step information of the music, usually comes with a Mp3. This allows ppl to emulate the arcades' songs on the pc, and for ppl to create steps for non-ddr songs

heres where u can get a few DWIs and This should have all the info u need :)
Ill post some pics if u want :)

http://ddrmaniax.net/

Stez

DuDe

Emu64 Staff
Re: Critical analysis is fun...

Stalkid64 said:
Neither apparently are the majority of the XBox ones. One year on, we still have Halo. That's it. And on the horizon... well, Halo 2 and... um... wait... any second now... which is again why the console is selling terribly.
Fact is Luigi's Mansion, Pikmin, Rogue Leader, Monkey Ball, SSBM, Waverace Blue Storm, Starfox Adventures, Animal Leader and the glorious `Sunshine gives the NGC a minimum of nine "must-play/own" games in a very short period of time.[/B]

That`s your opinion. I believe that the average X-Box/PS2 owner would disagree that any of those games are a "must have". You see, as amazing as it may sound to you, but just because you choose to define a game as a masterpiece, doesn`t mean that it`s actually true.

RatTrap

GODLIKE
DuDe.. it's like with cars.. you can like a nice looking well known ferrari that would make you seem to be above common folks :p.. and also feels good.. and is all that..

or.. you could be the type that prefers a Mustang GT500 :p..

normally when it comes to cars.. you would be thought of as a connoisseur.. like Nicolas Cage in Gi60s.. but the thing with games is.. there are games.. that apeal to you.. only.. and there are games that don't apeal to you.. but apeal to the mayority..

now what makes the diference is looking beyond the colors and the rumpkicking 3d sounds.. and the massive crowd the game gathers.. and instead.. catch the feel of the game.. look at the originality.. and the control.. the ambient it producess in conjunction with the sounds and looks.. as in you would'nt want to see cute kittens playing in the corner in a room and hear some really cheerfull mario music while playing a horror game now would you :p.. (ok.. extreem example.. but you get what i mean).. or have horror-ish type sounds ambient or music in a rally or racing game.. (with the exeption of mario kart.. where this actually has a level where it works)..

consider this.. castlevania games:
best one when it comes to the story would be the second one.. and most ppl that have played that game.. will feel the same.. just ask around..

when it comes to controlls.. the best one.. or at least closest to be the best one.. was Castlevania 4 on the SNES.. after that title.. all the controll that was given.. was taken away in the Genesis game and then in the next SNES game.. only to be somewhat(not all of it is there and it's not used the same way.. mostly to balance the game) reinvented in the newer GBA games..

if you can play a game.. and find no.. "flaws" in it.. then it could very much well be thought of as a damn good game.. even though nobody else plays it but you.. i'm saying no "flaws" with the "'s.. because that's very relative.. i mean maybe you can't come up with faults about a game.. but someone else can and vice versa..

the way to go.. is make an original.. if it's not been donne b4.. then you have nothing else to compare it with.. and yes.. you can think of things they could add.. but surelly.. as things are today.. it's damn hard to come up with something original for game companies.. not because it's hard.. but because it might not sell at all.. and nobody can make it go around if they make an incredible game.. and it then don't sell well..

usually good games are N games.. because.. they DO add things you would'nt have thought of.. if you ask me.. the watertank/gun is a stroke of genious.. the gameplay is the same.. and it's got added.. and it's fun.. works with the whole familly.. wich is what a mario game needs.. and also.. it's tricky to learn but once you get the hang of it.. you just simply can't go wrong.. they are pioneering the game dev market.. braking new ground and adding new things.. making new games out of old ones and doing a good job of it..

normally.. you'll see 1 good game.. then 10 copies or even more..

CAPCOM.. stf1 was an ok game.. but sft2 was SO popular.. it started a massive new genre.. how many copies of that game didn't come after it?.. some better some worse.. but all pretty much the same.. and capcom themselfs released like 50 diferent types of that game..

so good games are not in the sales.. generally.. they are in your own eyes and taste.. but you CAN say that a game is good.. and that another isn't.. some games are money games.. some are original.. some games are just incredibly well made.. and some are big hits games.. that have to be both original and money games and well made.. again.. the big N usually pulls this off.. and yeah.. PC games are great.. but honestly.. console games have a charm that you can't really defeat with a mouse and keyboard..

Last edited:

crhylove

Banned
/quote I won't even argue that point other than to say someone who chooses the least likely console to do anything now the "smart" bet has a very flawed sense of logic. Would you similarly go out and buy, say, a laserdisc player now DVD is outclassing it in sales terms? Or an IMac when the PC has all the good games coming to it and is a larger platform? How is it a "smart" bet compared to even the PS2? /endquote.

stalkid, u r a moron (see above self contradiction, complete lack of grammar, and overall rant quality). jaz, no i didn't like gta3 on ps2, compared to my pc, it just plain sucked a salami.

i want to revote, and agree with alphawolf and several others, and say you oughta upgrade your pc. here's a link to get you started burning that $300 (UK funny $):

www.pricewatch.com

oh, and alphawolf, didn't u mean that the pc makes a great DIVX player? who watches dvds anymore?

(oh yeah, and maybe that's another good anti stalkid point. i'm not talking laserdisc vs. dvd. i'm talking dvd with divx playback vs. plain old dvd. so now what's your advice?)

lol

rhy

crhylove

Banned
Re: Re: Critical analysis is fun...

DuDe said:
Stalkid64 said:
Fact is Luigi's Mansion, Pikmin, Rogue Leader, Monkey Ball, SSBM, Waverace Blue Storm, Starfox Adventures, Animal Leader and the glorious `Sunshine gives the NGC a minimum of nine "must-play/own" games in a very short period of time.

That`s your opinion. I believe that the average X-Box/PS2 owner would disagree that any of those games are a "must have". You see, as amazing as it may sound to you, but just because you choose to define a game as a masterpiece, doesn`t mean that it`s actually true. [/B]

i completely agree dude, my orig statement still stands... i see 2 games in that list that i would buy a gamecube for: mario sunshine and (maybe) monkey ball. rogue leader and the mansion game both sucked imho.

rhy

UltraThing

Yes, well see what you and DuDe are both ignoring is that StalkId is entitled to his opinion, and you are entitled to yours. But that doesn't mean either of you are entitled to ridicule his opinion. His statement that there are 9 must-have games on the GC is no less valid than you guys saying there's only two. Show a little respect, or don't expect any (DuDe).

Yes, we know, we know, youre a MODERATOR and you have your finger on the button.

crhylove

Banned
ultraThing, though you are lucid and valid, you are missing many other threads that these comments also pertain to regarding stalkid..... but other than that, you are dead on, so i'll just shut up now.

/offtopic... how do i do the timed level (death mountain) in zelda:eek:ot? i'm a zelda n00b, but i like it so far.

rhy

UltraThing

Well, fair enough. But the original poster only sees a flame, he doesn't know/care about issues you and DuDe may have with StalkId. DuDe would be the first to suggest that a personal comment like that be handled by PM, so why does he post it on the forum instead?

OP
Grant64

Grant64

DC Emu Fanatic
Stez - Is it possible to take your own MP3 files and add a dance tune - That would be awesome!!! Can u tell me how???

Status
Not open for further replies.