What's new

Glide64 Screenshots

LD.

*poke*
*drool*

You fixed large textures! Oh my lord you managed to do it!

Do you mind if I ask how?!

Dave2001

LD. said:
*drool*

You fixed large textures! Oh my lord you managed to do it!

Do you mind if I ask how?!

Well, I have NEVER seen textures that are large in the y-axis, so that removes the possibility for dual-axis splits, making things MUCH easier. Splitting a triangle based on one axis only is quite simple, even when splitting it multiple times in that axis. It's just a bit of linear algebra to find the points where it needs to be split.

By the way, I have only done it with texrects so far, and texrects are much easier than triangles since they are just rectangles. I do have triangles planned out though, and it will come before the release also.

Also, instead of loading two seperate textures, I actually load the >256 part below the other and multiply the height by two.

so this is what the texture looks like in texture memory:
1=0-256
2=256-320, etc
0=past the end of the texture, leave blank

Last edited:

LD.

*poke*
Wow, and it sounds so simple when you put it like that. I think it's pretty safe to say that you're a cleverer man than I am :)

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
LD. said:
Wow, and it sounds so simple when you put it like that. I think it's pretty safe to say that you're a cleverer man than I am :)
It's just that he learned directx, and later went off inte programming emulation. That's why he's so smart. If you'd do it, I'm sure you'd understand it just as much as him.

mesman00

What's that...?
Originally posted by LD.
Wow, and it sounds so simple when you put it like that. I think it's pretty safe to say that you're a cleverer man than I am

anyone who knows cleverer is not a word is more clever than you :p

j/k

Dave2001

and I quote myself

Well, I have NEVER seen textures that are large in the y-axis, so that removes the possibility for dual-axis splits, making things MUCH easier. Splitting a triangle based on one axis only is quite simple, even when splitting it multiple times in that axis. It's just a bit of linear algebra to find the points where it needs to be split.

By the way, I have only done it with texrects so far, and texrects are much easier than triangles since they are just rectangles. I do have triangles planned out though, and it will come before the release also.

Also, instead of loading two seperate textures, I actually load the >256 part below the other and multiply the height by two.

so this is what the texture looks like in texture memory:
1=0-256
2=256-320, etc
0=past the end of the texture, leave blank

Another reason multiple-axis splits cannot occur is that texture memory is only 4 kilobytes big. It can barely handle a 64x32 texture. This is the reason title screens need many long and thin textures. If it can't handle a 64x32, it obviously can't handle a 640x480 in one triangle.

2bzy4ne1

Mmmmm....Beeeeerrrr
It's been pretty quiet here. I would like to make a screenshot request of Gauntlet Legends if you please...:)