What's new

Gamecube not worthy, says microsoft.

blizz

Alpahwolf, you're talking about the response times of controllers, true they are better than what they used to be but they've not yet reached the accuracy and speed that modern mice have

Last edited:

2fast4u

Doomulation said:
You're bashing the wrong thing. Even my brother *cough* *cough* said it was childish gfx. But I still played it an enjoyed it, nevermind the gfx.

thats just paradox regarding your post

pandamoan

Banned
pj64er...
yes, for side scrollers a snes owns a pc, except of course for one simple thing: zsnes.

and i have a GREAT gamepad (wingman rumblepad), so that's still better on pc.

and turning on the stereo can invalidate the sounds of the game, as well as clash with the music of the game.

i really like gta3's integrative mp3 playback as a seperate radio station.
simply put, that owns.

i also like fuhquake's winamp inclusion... this works really well with the pcdj plugin, and makes my mp3s like it's own radiostation :D Now that would be hella cool to implement in another game such as gta 3.

and hey, i like truck dismount, simple game or no. i find it hillarious. and most people i show it to, prefer it (at least initially) to most other games in my house. though, as i've said in other threads, the reigning champion of game popularity at my house is still any of the super mario brothers franchise, either on real NES, or through emulation.

smb3 probably being the single most popular game, even beating out all other games combined.

not for myself personally of course, but statistically across a diverse cross section of the partiers that come over, their's and my girlfriend's included. (This is a big demographic for mario, all forms, btw).

i realize the n64 version is much better, and deeper, etc. but alot of people prefer the regular old nes version, on fce ultra, with the wingman's on digital mode POV hat. even over the real controllers with adaptoids.

i know, i know, it doesn't really stand to reason, but there it is!

jamie

pj64er

PJ64 Lubba
pandamoan said:
pj64er...
yes, for side scrollers a snes owns a pc, except of course for one simple thing: zsnes.

Before we go on, is emulation counted in this? I mean, are we discussing 'games for consoles vs games for pc' or 'what we can play on console vs what we can play for pc'? Because i dont know about you, but I view playing on emulators the same as playing on the actual system. I dont see emulating Mario 64 as playing Mario 64 for pc, i 'pretend' its on me n64.

smegforbrain

pj64er said:
Because i dont know about you, but I view playing on emulators the same as playing on the actual system. I dont see emulating Mario 64 as playing Mario 64 for pc, i 'pretend' its on me n64.

I agree. The only thing "pc" about emulation is making sure you have enough speed and memory to run the damn stuff like it was meant to be on the console.
Throw this in with a gamepad, and it might as well be a console.

OP
AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
blizz said:
Alpahwolf, you're talking about the response times of controllers, true they are better than what they used to be but they've not yet reached the accuracy and speed that modern mice have

/me is confused

What are you talking about?

OP
AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Tagrineth said:
Carmack is a notable exception, though, because frankly, while he is one amazing coder, he's a stubborn jackass who tried Direct3D 3 back in the day and couldn't get Quake to render correctly in two weeks, while getting OpenGL running in a weekend, and as a result, won't even give Direct3D anoter look today.

Actualy he successfuly made a d3d port (although it was much more of a pain in the ass), but he refused to release it for the reason that he didn't want to support a proprietary standard, and because to this day, opengl still performs better. Read, he doesn't want to lockdown his customer base to a single platform, hence keeping the alternatives alive and working.

Cyberman

Tagrineth said:
MS isn't afraid of OpenGL. They don't need to be. Look how long DX has had shaders now, and note that core OpenGL spec - excluding extensions for a moment here - still doesn't include any at all. DX is very adaptive and has come very, very far since its inception - many game developers today actually prefer D3D9 to OpenGL with extensions, not just because Windows is the dominant platform.

Carmack is a notable exception, though, because frankly, while he is one amazing coder, he's a stubborn jackass who tried Direct3D 3 back in the day and couldn't get Quake to render correctly in two weeks, while getting OpenGL running in a weekend, and as a result, won't even give Direct3D anoter look today.

Relax we aren't out to get you here! LOL

DX is gaming interface It supports internet graphics audio controller interaction.. etc. I believe Cormack said what he said about version 3 for a reason. There have been a myriad of articles comparing the two. One notably from EETimes that went over the differences in efficiency. D3D uses a lot of OS tricks to gain them. Whereas OGL did not. The idea you create a bunch of vectors for example and spew them to the card was MS's DX original. Now hardware has evolved enough that approach can work, but at the time, OGL was significantly faster because of that one difference. (It programatically created objects instead of spewing vector sets to the card).

As for which is better, it depends on what you are doing. That's my way of looking at it, I'm not a fan of DX but if that's all that you have to work with you use it. These aren't religious wars, though MS tends to do that, (have religious wars about the 3d interfaces).

As for shaders ummm.. err these are bleeding edge technologies. By bleeding edge I mean you loose more than you gain by using them. Until it's quanitified and qualified enough (IE people have enough experience using them) the technology is only a 'nifty' thing. This is a good way to look at a lot of things Microsoft and other companies say. If it makes the game look good and more playable fine, if it slugs the game down so you can't enjoy playing it NOT fine. Simple huh? :)

I like Open GL.. and to be honest Direct3d looks a lot more like OpenGL these days than originally. MS revises it continually. As for which is 'superior' I prefer OpenGL because it's supported by more than just Windows (whose support for it is quite close to crap still not sure if my code is setup right to access my cards OGL libs properly or not BLEAH). Unfortunately OGL has instantiation for the display context system dependant. Meaning prior to actually calling OGL functions start up is kind of whatever works.

Heck with a little bit of porting you could run OGL on a GBA (1 fps maybe) but you still could. DirectX is not quite that portable. My main contention with it is it lacked and still lacks a LOT of forethought (it's a hack what can you say about that :) ).

Anyhow.. no nore religious wars about API's ;)

Cyb - Kill everyone who disagrees (snicker).

pandamoan said:
even if i were to concede all of your points (not gonna happen), this still makes you unbelievable. there is simply NO valid comparison between pc fps and ANY console fps. the mouse/key combo simply owns any kind of controller for fps. this alone makes it ridiculous to argue against. never mind the graphics, the online thing, the ability to play YOUR OWN CDS, etc etc. Come on, concede that pc fps owns console fps end of story.
I just like too add two thing's here:
First:
Yes, a mouse is better for aiming. But most games are mapped for right handed people. So since I'm left handed, I have to change every keyboard key in any PC game, so I can play that PC game. So no, the keyboard is a poor excuse for control for any FPS.
Second:
Have you ever played Perfect Dark, and sneaked up behind a guard with a Falcon 2 pistol?
If so, you would know how Jo aims her pistol at that guard?
If you don't know, she cocks her pistol(s) inwards for better precision.
Also when you aim your gun in GoldenEye/Perfect Dark, your gun will move on screen and not stay still like in PC FPS.
So you can say that console FPS are more detailed then PC FPS in this area.

pj64er...

As said from a boy who never owned the real thing.
I own both a SNES gamepad adapter and a Wingman RumblePad.
First:
The Wingman's POV control sucks compared to the SNES's D-Pad.
Second:
Any hard core gamer (such as you) would have them self shot for saying that a Wingman RumblePad is "GREAT" for SNES emulation.

and turning on the stereo can invalidate the sounds of the game, as well as clash with the music of the game.

i really like gta3's integrative mp3 playback as a seperate radio station.
simply put, that owns.

i also like fuhquake's winamp inclusion... this works really well with the pcdj plugin, and makes my mp3s like it's own radiostation Now that would be hella cool to implement in another game such as gta 3.
Then what's the point in listening to MP3's well playing a PC game, same thing.
Have you always contradicted you're self?

i realize the n64 version is much better, and deeper, etc. but alot of people prefer the regular old nes version, on fce ultra, with the wingman's on digital mode POV hat. even over the real controllers with adaptoids.
AFAIK, there is no such thing called a "NES Adaptoid".
I no know one who would say that they would prefer a Wingman RumblePad over a real NES gamepad for a NES game.

OP
AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
URAMetroid said:
I just like too add two thing's here:
First:
Yes, a mouse is better for aiming. But most games are mapped for right handed people. So since I'm left handed, I have to change every keyboard key in any PC game, so I can play that PC game. So no, the keyboard is a poor excuse for control for any FPS.

Only if your left handed :p

But you know, the same applies with consoles. Console controllers assume that you have better fine motor skills in your right hand, thats why the thumb buttons are on the right side.

And so far as re-assigning the buttons in games, even though I am right handed, I always find myself doing this anyways. Most people like to use the mouse button to fire, and the w button to move forward, among several other things that I simply hate.

I don't know why you are complaining much either, as I know several left handed people who play just fine with the mouse on the right side and their left hand on the asdf keys.

I think the problem you are noticing is that PC controls have much more depth of control, and therefore are much more complex than a simple controller. Controls on a PC allow 11 simultaneous actions at any given time, as well as multi-dimensional movement, whereas controllers at best allow 4 with only linear movement. Think about what that means in terms of what all your brain is trying to do at one time. I don't know one person who has been able to instantly adjust to using a mouse/keyboard combo for games, it usualy takes a while. I think in your specific case, you just gave up with the thought that "its not designed for left handed people".

URAMetroid said:
Also when you aim your gun in GoldenEye/Perfect Dark, your gun will move on screen and not stay still like in PC FPS.
So you can say that console FPS are more detailed then PC FPS in this area.

I dunno, thats a bit fake to me. When carrying larger firearms, I always shoulder them (or keep it braced against my body somehow), keeping them aimed strait in the direction my body is facing. If you don't shoulder it, your aim is going to be crap, even if you are simply spraying rambo style, because the recoil will bounce your arms around like rubber. So far as smaller firearms are concerned (e.g. pistols), its not smart to hold it in front of you like james bond does on goldeneye. Why? well, lets just say that charlie around the corner gets a visual warning when you are about to walk in front of him, because he sees the end of your barrel pop around the corner before you ever even know hes there (and even worse, in the case of goldeneye64, he gets to know which direction you are about to turn because you always aim your barrel in that direction before you turn that way :happy: ). And if hes close enough, he can grab the barrel with his opposite hand, turning it away from him, and then jam a knife into your neck.

Last edited:
AlphaWolf said:
Only if your left handed :p

But you know, the same applies with consoles. Console controllers assume that you have better fine motor skills in your right hand, thats why the thumb buttons are on the right side.
I don't mind console controllers.

And so far as re-assigning the buttons in games, even though I am right handed, I always find myself doing this anyways. Most people like to use the mouse button to fire, and the w button to move forward, among several other things that I simply hate.
First, I like to use the left mouse button to fire.
Second, I also hate the "W, A, S and D" keys for movement, so I always have to re-map those keys to the 8, 4, 5 and 6 keys on the number pad, along with other keys.

I don't know why you are complaining much either, as I know several left handed people who play just fine with the mouse on the right side and their left hand on the asdf keys.
First: I can't move my mouse to the right side of my keyboard.
Second: Most left handed people have gotten use to using there right hand for most things, that includes the PC.
Third: Ask one of your left handed friends who can play games with there right hand on the mouse, to write there name's down in MS-Paint with the mouse in there right hand. If they have been using a mouse in there right hand for long, it should look passable.
Then ask them to write with there left hand, then you try with your left hand. How well do you think it will look?

I think the problem you are noticing is that PC controls have much more depth of control, and therefore are much more complex than a simple controller.
I don't mind complex control.

Controls on a PC allow 11 simultaneous actions at any given time, as well as multi-dimensional movement, whereas controllers at best allow 4 with only linear movement. Think about what that means in terms of what all your brain is trying to do at one time.
Your right, but I don't have 11 fingers.

I don't know one person who has been able to instantly adjust to using a mouse/keyboard combo for games, it usualy takes a while.
I agree.

I think in your specific case, you just gave up with the thought that "its not designed for left handed people".
No I didn't give up, I still play PC games. You want an example? Just look at my avatar, it's one of my favorite PC games (No One Lives Forever 2). But I have played one free game that was not designed for left handed people (the free Alias game).

I dunno, thats a bit fake to me. When carrying larger firearms, I always shoulder them (or keep it braced against my body somehow), keeping them aimed strait in the direction my body is facing. If you don't shoulder it, your aim is going to be crap, even if you are simply spraying rambo style, because the recoil will bounce your arms around like rubber. So far as smaller firearms are concerned (e.g. pistols), its not smart to hold it in front of you like james bond does on goldeneye. Why? well, lets just say that charlie around the corner gets a visual warning when you are about to walk in front of him, because he sees the end of your barrel pop around the corner before you ever even know hes there (and even worse, in the case of goldeneye64, he gets to know which direction you are about to turn because you always aim your barrel in that direction before you turn that way :happy: ). And if hes close enough, he can grab the barrel with his opposite hand, turning it away from him, and then jam a knife into your neck.
Good point, you can't fire large firearms one handed, like in GoldenEye.
But I prefer Splinter Cell's style of shooting over most FPS.

OP
AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
URAMetroid said:
Third: Ask one of your left handed friends who can play games with there right hand on the mouse, to write there name's down in MS-Paint with the mouse in there right hand. If they have been using a mouse in there right hand for long, it should look passable.
Then ask them to write with there left hand, then you try with your left hand. How well do you think it will look?

I just tried to write my name in mspaint with my left hand, and that was probably the first time I have ever done anything with the mouse using my left hand, and I wrote it fine :p

AlphaWolf said:
I just tried to write my name in mspaint with my left hand, and that was probably the first time I have ever done anything with the mouse using my left hand, and I wrote it fine :p
Compared to your right hand?

pandamoan

Banned
URAMetroid said:
Compared to your right hand?

all of this is a strawman. i've seen a guy play guitar (well) with his feet, but i still use my hands for any activity like that.

and i use BOTH hands for.....

pj64er

PJ64 Lubba
lol, forget the control thing guys. I think its universally agreed that mouse/keyboard is best for fps. But what I think URAMetroid is trying to say is, its tedious to set up controls for every PC game. Which is true, I dont remember the last game where I didnt have to reset them, and Im-right handed! Consoles, on the other hand, usually have intuitive controls. Learning and getting used to the controls of a console game takes no more than three or four minutes.

Hyper19s

Banned
agreed keybored and mouse kicks the shit out of any gamepad ever made.thats why computers
are known for there fps games!!