What's new

GameCube emu loading Freeloader!

Remote

Probaly, since there's no way of running GC discs in DVD readers. Has anyone tried to hijack a Panasonic Q drive and connect it to a computer?

Grant64

DC Emu Fanatic
Don't think this is possible Remote - But interesting to try?

How long has this emu been in development? It must have been a while already? This sort of thing doesn't happen overnight

DesktopMan

Well, developers don't get low level info on GameCube. And as far as I know, no such info is out. That's why sound and gfx (the 3d functions) are so hard to emulate/use in homebrew.

The only guys giving out that would be Nintendo research and development. Don't see them sending out docs anytime soon.

Remote

Really? Didn't the refuse to give out info to developers also with the N64? And kept it to themselves to make blockbuster games:p And it sounds like they are making the same mistake again...

R&D are probaly holding on to those way, way after the fat lady sings.

Last edited:

Trek234

"Well, developers don't get low level info on GameCube. And as far as I know, no such info is out. That's why sound and gfx (the 3d functions) are so hard to emulate/use in homebrew.

The only guys giving out that would be Nintendo research and development. Don't see them sending out docs anytime soon."

Look - I'll "leak" some technical designs right now for you -

http://www.uspto.gov/web/patents/patog/week39/OG/html/US06456290-20020924.html interface for a graphics system - Nintendo

http://www.uspto.gov/web/patents/patog/week48/OG/html/1264-4/US06485369-20021126.html - Video game apparatus outputting image and music and storage medium used therefor - Nintendo

http://www.uspto.gov/web/patents/patog/week29/OG/html/US06421058-20020716.html - Graphics command stream for calling a display object in a graphics system - Nintendo

http://www.uspto.gov/web/patents/patog/week39/OG/html/US06454652-20020924.html - Video game system and method with enhanced three-dimensional character and background control due to environmental conditions - Nintendo

http://aiw2.uspto.gov/.aiw?Docid=20...ageNum=&Rtype=&SectionNum=&idkey=84C87E694543 - Our friend the game cube

There are THOUSANDS of patents and other documents detailing the inner most workings of ALL the nintendo consoles. (and any other console for that matter) Each one usually comes with pages (sometimes hundreds) deatailing EVERYTHING in simple english. Here is but one line from a document with tons of pages explaining how mario 64 works

"If the check at 943 reveals that Mario did not touch a door to the second door then, as shown in FIG. 15B, a check is made to determine whether Mario touched door 1 of the first floor. If Mario hit door 1, then Mario is permitted to enter course 1 by leaping through the course 1 picture, without any goal achievement requirement. "

"The PCHCLK signal is the basic clock signal which may, for example, be a 15.2 MHz signal utilized for clocking communication operations between the coprocessor 200 and the peripheral interface 138. The PCHCMD command is utilized for reading and writing from and to RAM 264 and for reading from boot ROM 262. The peripheral interface 138 in turn provides a PCHRSP response which includes both accessed data and an acknowledgment signal. " Wow that's neat I didn't know that before!

(if you want to see these pages click "full text" on the patents)

All straight from Nintendo to you from the US patent office.

Make no mistake though - by no means are all patents put on the patent web site (that would take far too much time) but you can order them via paper mail from the office its self. A huge number of them are on the web though.

Last edited:
Whatcha mean

Nick_kidid0 said:
let just focus on reading the discs first i say :/
.. although this is great news too.

What do you reffer to??? some ripped GC games r available for download in p2p programs

ector

Emulator Developer
Yep, there's some useful stuff in the patents, but LOTS of important information is missing from them.. they could still help out a bit though :)

Trek234

ector said:
Yep, there's some useful stuff in the patents, but LOTS of important information is missing from them.. they could still help out a bit though :)

If you need more info there are other nations that have a similar "patent" system that require *far* more information to be put in them. Even more info can be read from those.

Unfortunately some are in non-english speaking nations, so translation can be a problem.

DesktopMan

I new about the patents. Hell, lots of emulation would be impossible without patents. But it's not complete, and it's in bits all over the place.

M

mainframe19

why not just make it read the cube game cds, and

DesktopMan said:
It's not impossible to emulate it, since docs can be obtained from ibm. (free, legal) Knowledge and experience is required though.

And on another note, yes it's real. And no, those wishing to play free cube games!!!!!!11 on their computer will be disasspointed. But it's great for home-brew nonetheless, and that's what I care about.

And as for StarCube's releases beeing real, both Freeloader and Action Replay has been booted with the pso hack. Does that answer the real/fake question?

load and read the game data from the game cubed cd.

it whould keep the do it legal.by reading the game cube cd only.and blocking out isos.and copys of game cube cds!!
me i whould just love to play my game cube cds on your emu with my pc.

i whould make like epsxe! where the emu use the bios and reads the psx
cds.

evlcookie

some of the small iso releases can be played by sending the .dol file from the iso to the gc. so far the program that allows this can only do .dol files of max 2mb. there is even a trainer for metroid prime, which is streamed from the pc to the gc then u insert the original metroid game into your gc to get the trainer working.

im suprised this emulator is working as well as it "seems" to be. both the xbox and gc emu's seem to be coming along well which is always a good thing. keep up the good work!

M

mainframe19

when i see it runing a game cube game than i will call it a game cube emulator.and when i can play acube iso or dvd on my pc, till than i am saying that it might be areal game cube emu or might not.only when i can run a game cube game than it's areal game cube emu.

not till then!

cajuncook

The Cook
mainframe19 said:
when i see it runing a game cube game than i will call it a game cube emulator.and when i can play acube iso or dvd on my pc, till than i am saying that it might be areal game cube emu or might not.only when i can run a game cube game than it's areal game cube emu.

not till then!

That's kind of sad, man. All signs say that it's a real Gamecube emulator - it's running the games programmed for the Gamecube (the Pong, and the other ports of games) just fine. Just because it's not playing commercial games (quite like cxbx, eh?), it's clearly not anything like an emulator that runs Gamecube applications. While I agree that it is not as cool as something that runs backup games, it's a start and it isn't something to be shunned like that.

EDIT - Oh, wait, I forgot, Freeloader is a real NGC game. Sort of. It was at one point written to a disc and it can be loaded on a real GameCube. Isn't that a real game?

Last edited:

Remote

mainframe19 said:

not till then!

What a load of bullshit! I bet when you were little you had to learn to crawl before you learned to walk and I'm sure your parents still called you a human child. :p It has to start somewhere, that's pretty obvious. And like every other emulator out there it starts with homebrew software, small graphic demos demonstrating various effects and small games. That this GC emu can run commercial code at this point of development is simply amazing, Freeloader perhaps isn't a game but it's being sold commercialy hence it's commercial code.

If I were behind a GC emulator and read posts as stupid as yours I would be tempted to keep it to myself, it has probaly happened before and sadly it will probaly happen again. But hopefully they / he / she / it? will continue to work on this "Fire" as long as they find it fun and challeging and if they reaches big milestones tease us with screenshots and / or video.

And just as a sidenote, CXBX doesn't play commercial games at this point and I'm pretty that you still call it a Xbox emulator?

nephalim

Psychic Vampire
I remember there was no sound in the SNES emu's for a LONG time, they had perfect graphics before they had sound. And then *boom* all of a sudden there was tons of sound. I don't remember, but I think the papers were leaked for the custom chip they used.