What's new

Dolphin Mario Kart Double Dash screenshots!

ErotcusPrime

ector said:
PowerMacs have already been emulated. See www.emaculation.com, emulator is called SheepShaver. Only emulates early powermacs so far but macos 8 and 9 (ppc versions) apparently run.

AFAIK, SheepShaver is a MacOS runtime environment only for BeOS PPC.. Maybe I'm wrong..

And on that website it said PowerMacs have NOT yet been emulated.

Quvack

ErotcusPrime said:
AFAIK, SheepShaver is a MacOS runtime environment only for BeOS PPC.. Maybe I'm wrong..

And on that website it said PowerMacs have NOT yet been emulated.

It was ported to x86/linux, it works :) Just without extentions enabled and its fairly buggy.

CLSugarman

As for playing games...Games can be ripped using a broadband adapter and Phantasy Star Online. GCN to PC. The reverse works too, PC to GCN. You could also download an already ripped game but that's a taboo'd topic. ::cough::roms::cough:: Trust me the roms do work, (PC -> GCN) ::wink:: A few months ago a group released a way to convert the GCN sound to wave. Maybe the author can get hold of the programmer and see if he can help with sound emulation. I mean, if it converts to wave, how much more do you want?

DesktopMan

First, where the hell did the first part of that reply come from?

Second, an emulator doesn't convert files. The game itself (which is emulated) reads the file, sends commands to dsp etc. That's what the emulator needs to do, not convert the file into a suitable pc-format.

JevilKnevil

Damn, that's amazing! At this rate we'll have a working GC emulator in, say 2 years? This is really impressive stuff! :D

FloW3184

Emu_and_Mobile_Freak
I bet it uses OpenGL! Because the games running on Gamecube also are using openGL! and not direct X!
because if Nintendo would use DirectX, they would have to pay "some" money to Microsoft... and this is the last thing Nintendo would do!
(excuse my english ;))

Clements

Nope, it really uses DirectX 9! (as Desktopman said)

OpenGL plugins are likely to come as 3rd party plugins begin to develop, so don't fret if you like OpenGL!

DesktopMan

FloW3184 said:
I bet it uses OpenGL! Because the games running on Gamecube also are using openGL! and not direct X!
because if Nintendo would use DirectX, they would have to pay "some" money to Microsoft... and this is the last thing Nintendo would do!
(excuse my english ;))

Nintendo doesn't use opengl. nor directx. N uses their own stuff. (always have) It has an OpenGL FEEL to it, but that's about it.

-Shadow-

Banned
I think the developers of the plugins will have to wait for OpenGL v 2.0 (it supports Pixel- and VertexShader like DX 9!!)

Remote

DesktopMan said:
Nintendo doesn't use opengl. nor directx. N uses their own stuff. (always have) It has an OpenGL FEEL to it, but that's about it.

What does nintendos api have that OGL doesn't? Or is it to avoid licensing fees or similiar, seems like a longshot.. ;-)

M

mainframe19

the dolphin emu is said to be made by nintendo game cube makers! you can read about this and some gc code in any dol or any apploader file found in a gcm file!

Trotterwatch

the dolphin emu is said to be made by nintendo game cube makers!

Not sure where that is said :) I'd put money on you being wrong though.... although I do believe that you may be confused with the official emulator that runs Zelda which may well be called Dolphin (it isn't this though). Anyways, so is this you denying that you are one of the authors? ;)

M

mainframe19

i wish i was able to make gc emu! or any other emu in that matter! but i know just very little of c++! and some qbasic and the old basic.which i was learning.but droped basic to go with c++ to learn about opnegl gfx programing.

all i am saying is that nintendo has aemu that is anamed dolpin! if you use edit.com and open up one the apploader files from a gcm file you will find alot of infor in there.i will post some later to let you see what i am talking about.

Remote

Please do so =) I love your signature mainframe but I haven't sleept since yesterday so that could be a big hint.. :p

Its news like this that reminds me why i ever loved emulation in the first place. The author of this has created something truley amazing, and is being very smart in staying anonnymous.

The best option is to have several front end people (a bit like smiff did for PJ64) who can deal with comments and weed out the crap, leaving the developer to receive anything useful/worthwhile. Which is what i assume is going on here.

In 2 years im willing to guestimate this will be nemu 0.7a quality, by which point we'll probably all be able to see first hand the fruits of these remarkable breakthroughs, although i always prefered emus when they start showing wireframes/textures.

Im such a geek

ector

Emulator Developer
"Dolphin" was the codename of the gamecube (like Ultra64 was the code name of Nintendo 64) and so is seen everywhere in the sdk, that's why you're finding that in the apploader :) The sdk also contained an "emulator" but it's just an API wrapper so you can compile gamecube source code for PC or Mac with heavily reduced functionality, it was only something to get the developers started while they were waiting for their first real devkits. It doesn't let you run gamecube executables on PC.
All of this has nothing to do with the emulator featured in this news post.