What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

Could Anyone Upload All Original Textures From Ocarina of Time?

Phantom7

Evil Spirit From Beyond
If anyone has all of the original textures for Ocarina of Time ripped, could you possibly generously upload them here? This would be incredibly helpful for texture packing and making sure all of the textures are included.

EDIT: Other games would be very nice as well. :)

jim0_0

You know what else is a violation of copyright? Downloading ROMs, you hypocrites.

@OP: To be honest, I don't give a damn about copyright laws for the most part, but I don't have a folder with all the dumped textures. If you can't be bothered to dump them all yourself you can just download Djipi's Cell Zelda pack and use his textures in place of the originals for your own texturing purposes. (Assuming you just want the texture files so it would be easier to retexture, not the original for some strange purpose.)

Seriously guys, what's with being such fucking douche bags? "Isn't that a violation of copyright?" You fucking twit, as if Nintendo gives a shit about those blurry as all fuck textures.

For fucks sake.

Surkow

jim0_0, We do not facilitate copyright infringement or help distributing copyrighted files without permission. If you have a license for the game (i.e. a physical copy) downloading it wouldn't be morally wrong (but it is mostly in a gray area). They cannot stop you from dumping the ROM yourself.

Toasty

Sony battery
You know what else is a violation of copyright? Downloading ROMs, you hypocrites.
That is why our community also does not allow users to post ROMs or links to ROMs.

You silly goofball, as if Nintendo gives a hoot about those blurry textures.

For goodness sake.
Nintendo and other game companies enjoy very few things more than taking down an emulation site. Allowing users to post copyrighted material from Nintendo's games would give them an excuse to take legal action against us.

OP
P

Phantom7

Evil Spirit From Beyond
But this entire community is based on video game emulation which is clearly not legal in terms of copyright, so technically this entire website is a violation of copyright laws. In addition, what is the difference, in terms of copyright laws, between downloading edited texture packs and original dumped textures? And what is the legal difference between spending hours dumping textures and simply downloading the original textures from this community?

So, now that I've clarified that, I prefer to edit from the original textures rather than previously edited textures because viewing the original texture makes it easier to envision what exactly the texture will look like once edited, especially if the texture pack is planned to be done in the same art-style as the game's original textures. I have been using this method for an F-Zero X retexture project, and I find it very efficient. The only truly noticeable difficulty, however, is the inconvenience of having to dump all of the textures manually (as opposed to editing from preexisting texture packs). I thought it would be necessary to do the same for Ocarina of Time, but I also thought about how incredibly annoying it would be to have to dump every individual texture in the game. But then I thought, "Hey, lots of EmuTalk members have uploaded texture packs for certain games. Someone could have all of the original textures dumped from Ocarina of Time."

You see, having all of the original textures for different games uploaded here would be very convenient for all of the texture-packers in this community. All it would take is one person to dump them all once, and everyone else could have access to it.

Last edited:

Toasty

Sony battery
But this entire community is based on video game emulation which is clearly not legal in terms of copyright, so technically this entire website is a violation of copyright laws.
Emulators themselves are perfectly legal. It's only when you acquire ROMs without the copyright holder's consent that infringement takes place. There is nothing illegal about playing a game you purchased on an emulator, for example - as long as you created the ROM or ISO dump yourself.

In addition, what is the difference, in terms of copyright laws, between downloading edited texture packs and original dumped textures?
The texture packs available here do not contain any part of the original textures. They are new creations, and the creators of the texture packs authorize their distribution here.

And what is the legal difference between spending hours dumping textures and simply downloading the original textures from this community?
One is legal (assuming you're using your own copy of the game); the other is not.

ihearpixels

But this entire community is based on video game emulation which is clearly not legal in terms of copyright

Egad!

That means the emulated games released by Nintendo on the GBA are illegal!

Lets not forget thier own Virtual Console! Double egad!

And lets not forget Valve Corporation and the bundling of DOSBox with thier DOS games for reselling! Solve that for me, Dr. Watson! (or suffer a paging fault or segmentation error)

You see, having all of the original textures for different games uploaded here would be very convenient for all of the texture-packers in this community. All it would take is one person to dump them all once, and everyone else could have access to it.

That takes all the fun out of it, don't you think. And we don't want Harry waving his nasty wand! ;)

OP
P

Phantom7

Evil Spirit From Beyond
Despite all of that, could anyone in this community guarantee that everything we do here in terms of copyright laws is legal? Of course not; it's a site for discussion on unauthorized video game emulation. So what would we be risking to upload original textures to this site? It's not like it hasn't been done before, just look at the Spriter's Resource or the Textures Resource.

And no, ihearpixels, it doesn't take the fun out of anything. Dumping textures can be tedious work, and if we can make things easier, why don't we?

ihearpixels

Again, you buy Nintendo's progaganda that emulation is illegal, even when they use it themselves.....

Of course not; it's a site for discussion on unauthorized video game emulation.

Again you are either dense or immensely stupid. There is NO law stating that emulation/reverse engineering is illegal. Take DOSBox for instance, they recieved no email threats and infact GOG.com and Valve Corp. endorse it!

ihearpixels

And no, ihearpixels, it doesn't take the fun out of anything. Dumping textures can be tedious work, and if we can make things easier, why don't we?

Bandwidth? I don't want to make a texture mirror just to service the puny n64 community. What have they done for me lately when I did so much?

OP
P

Phantom7

Evil Spirit From Beyond
Bandwidth? I don't want to make a texture mirror just to service the puny n64 community. What have they done for me lately when I did so much?

Well, I wasn't speaking to you specifically. And maybe you should be thinking more about the betterment of the community rather than yourself and your precious bandwidth.

Unauthorized emulation plus the use of unauthorized ROMs is illegal. And it's not even possible to run texture packs or dump textures without an unauthorized emulator and a ROM, so please, stop the legal arguments and if you don't have the original textures, don't bother with it.

ihearpixels

And maybe you should be thinking more about the betterment of the community rather than yourself

Why?

What has the Nintendo 64 community done for me lately? I am not concerned about texture packs.

Fine, if you really want the textures, what format? Jabo's or Glide64s?

Toasty

Sony battery
Despite all of that, could anyone in this community guarantee that everything we do here in terms of copyright laws is legal? Of course not; it's a site for discussion on unauthorized video game emulation. So what would we be risking to upload original textures to this site?
The risk is that the copyright holder would take legal action against the site.

Unauthorized emulation plus the use of unauthorized ROMs is illegal. And it's not even possible to run texture packs or dump textures without an unauthorized emulator and a ROM, so please, stop the legal arguments and if you don't have the original textures, don't bother with it.
How are the emulators here "unauthorized"? Copyright laws do not apply to hardware interfaces, hence we don't need authorization to write an emulator for a console.

On the other hand, downloading a copyrighted ROM without the rights holder's consent is infringement, as is downloading copyrighted textures without the rights holder's consent. That is why we do neither of those things here. It is not the site's responsibility to ensure that its members do nothing illegal. It is the site's responsibility to ensure that nothing illegal takes place on the site.

I'm sorry to reiterate what's already been said, but you are continuing to ask people to violate board rules, so I'm thinking this hasn't been adequately explained yet.

OP
P

Phantom7

Evil Spirit From Beyond
Although, it is mandatory to own an illegal ROM for game in order to dump textures and load hi-res textures. Am I correct? So let's rethink this. Is texture packing legal in the first place? Apparently not. By uploading unedited textures to this community, we are at little to no risk.

So, if a copyright infringement must take place to create and run texture packs and the board rules forbid copyright infringements, then simply by providing and encouraging texture packs, we are breaking board rules. Again, we are at no risk uploading original textures.

And to throw in one more detail, I've found unedited textures mixed in with edited textures in texture packs I downloaded from this community. Did anyone punish them for including those original textures? Not that I am aware.

ihearpixels

to own an illegal ROM

how is owning a ROM dumper, to make a ROM from the actual cartridge, like the Retrode illegal?

Alright, I am willing to host these textures for you, to stop this pissiness and stop your pathetic ranting. I'll just come running to YOU if I get a infringement notice.

OP
P

Phantom7

Evil Spirit From Beyond
@ihearpixels: You really don't have to provide these textures if you don't want to, even though it would be a huge help for texture editing. I'm not forcing you to do this, but if it's no problem for you, go ahead. I was just trying to explain that I don't believe the community would be at risk by uploading these textures, so I'm sorry if I sounded harsh.

Toasty

Sony battery
Although, it is mandatory to own an illegal ROM for game in order to dump textures and load hi-res textures. Am I correct?
No. It is perfectly legal for a person to use a ROM that he dumped himself from a legitimate cartridge, or an ISO that he ripped from a legitimate disc. People often do not go the legal route, but that doesn't mean that there isn't one.

Is texture packing legal in the first place? Apparently not. By uploading unedited textures to this community, we are at little to no risk.
There's nothing in copyright law that would prevent an artist from creating his own textures to go with an existing game. There would also be nothing wrong with his distributing said texture pack to other people - it's his own creation and he has the right to distribute his works to other people. However, if he distributed the original work (to which he does not own copyrights) with the texture pack, that would be infringement.

So, if a copyright infringement must take place to create and run texture packs and the board rules forbid copyright infringements, then simply by providing and encouraging texture packs, we are breaking board rules. Again, we are at no risk uploading original textures.
Copyright infringement need not take place in order to create or run texture packs. Again, many people do not do things the legal way, but that doesn't mean that no legal way exists. We do not encourage people to commit copyright infringement on this board. (We would be doing that if we provided downloads to copyrighted ROMs or texture packs though, and we would be at risk of a lawsuit.)

And to throw in one more detail, I've found unedited textures mixed in with edited textures in texture packs I downloaded from this community. Did anyone punish them for including those original textures? Not that I am aware.
If you've found original, copyrighted textures mixed in with any remade textures on this board, the safest course of action would be to report the issue - first to the pack's author so they have a chance to fix the problem, and then to the mods if the author fails to do so. There is no reason to distribute original textures in a texture pack; they would just waste space and present legal issues.