What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

Converting between Rice and Jabo texture packs

q00u

Is there an existing utility for converting between rice and jabo texture packs?

As far as I can tell, this can't possibly be that difficult, unless I'm overlooking something...

Since the rice plugin doesn't work on my computer, but most texture packs are for rice, I was going to just make a converter myself, but I don't want to have to reinvent the wheel, if there's already an extant converter that people use. You know what I mean?

Clements

I can't help you with the utility, but you could also use Glide64 for texture packs instead of Rice's Video or Jabo's plugin. Glide64 has the benefit of hardware framebuffer emulation and can use Rice's Video format packs.

mudlord

Banned
Is there an existing utility for converting between rice and jabo texture packs?

As far as I can tell, this can't possibly be that difficult, unless I'm overlooking something...

No.

And yes you are overlooking some things.

Cyberman

Since the rice plugin doesn't work on my computer, but most texture packs are for rice, I was going to just make a converter myself, but I don't want to have to reinvent the wheel, if there's already an extant converter that people use. You know what I mean?
Define THAT difficult .. :D

I think mudlord said it well you are missing something, namely the way Jabo's plugin and Rice's plugin compute the identifying information is completely different. There is no easy match save by visually matching the right textures to the correct id.

Cyb

OP
Q

q00u

I was thinking more along the lines of taking texture dumps for each format, and running a program to identify identical images. With that, I have a name-map between the two schemes. After which, it's trivial to convert between them. Unless I'm overlooking something else.

Cyberman

I was thinking more along the lines of taking texture dumps for each format, and running a program to identify identical images. With that, I have a name-map between the two schemes. After which, it's trivial to convert between them. Unless I'm overlooking something else.
Yes you are completely ignoring what I said. The format's are completely different, so how do you plan on identifying the information automatically? How each program dumps them is different how the programs even compute the identification is different. Jabo MD5 Rice CRC32 (not sure which CRC off hand though). Even though they might be dumping the same textures the data in the files do not even match (IE palettes are different etc.) That pretty much sums it up. It's not that simple.

Cyb

Driscol

annoying you for over a year!
my advice is to try it your way, and if it works, yay!

and if it doesent, you have got xp for the future.

OP
Q

q00u

It's impossible because there's no automatic way to identify identical images? Really?

There are a number of freeware programs that will identify identical (or even near identical) images, regardless of format. I wasn't ignoring what you said at all; it just isn't a limitation.

Dup Detector can do it, and that program is crazy old. There are most likely other better newer ones now. And even if they weren't plentiful and cheap, image comparison is an old science, implementable by any skilled programmer. So even if I had to roll my own, I could (but I don't like to reinvent the wheel).

So, say texture x is dumped as 243A26F6D4999E2347CEFB528D124466.png by Jabo and SUPER MARIO 64#CD5F7595#0#2_all.png by Rice. Are you saying that if I just take the SUPER MARIO 64#CD5F7595#0#2_all.png file out of a Rice texture pack, move it to the Jabo folder, and rename it 243A26F6D4999E2347CEFB528D124466.png, it won't work?

Wait, I did that, and it totally does.

But whatever. The negativity in this group, sheesh. I guess I'll keep my converter to myself, so you all can continue to lament how impossible it is, since you seem to enjoy that so much.

Thanks for all your help, guys. You've been really inspirational.

Cyberman

Believe whatever you like you will anyways even if you think you have come up with something new, I'm afraid it's not.

The amount of effort needed to do it was a bit more extraordinary than anyone was willing to do (at least more than I was willing to do). Spare time is a luxury for me and I suspect quite a few other people here. I've been trying to find some for the last year unsucessfully. I've already got my eyeballs covered in big projects.

Cyb

Toasty

Sony battery
I had a few similar ideas for a conversion utility a while ago too, but without access to Jabo's hi-res plugin (or at least some textures ripped by it) I haven't really had an opportunity to experiment with any of them. Once the plugin is publicly released, I'll have to see what all the fuss is about. :p

Gonetz

Plugin Developer (GlideN64)
q00u,
yes, if you will rename hires texture properly, it should work.
Thus, to convert from one format to another you must know, how the particular texture is named in both formats. The only way to do it for each texture is to play a game throughout with both plugins, to dump all textures in both formats. Then you may build the table of correspondence between two formats. Using this table you may easily convert from one format to another. You probably will not have to write special program for it, it can be done with shell script. There are plenty of people with plenty of free time, which can help you to dump textures. Texture designers can share with you their collections of dumps. In any case, managing such a project will take a lot of your time.

mudlord

Banned
Wait, I did that, and it totally does.

But whatever. The negativity in this group, sheesh. I guess I'll keep my converter to myself, so you all can continue to lament how impossible it is, since you seem to enjoy that so much.

Thanks for all your help, guys. You've been really inspirational.

Huh...

Jabo bet you to it. He made a private converter that operates pretty much how Gonetz described it, using a SQL database to store texture information. He used that to help port some packs to his plugin. And he had to do a lot of manual work too. So, he gave up on it, since it was so convolted and downright tedious..

And since your acting so snide: Your welcome :rolleyes:

Toasty

Sony battery
Thus, to convert from one format to another you must know, how the particular texture is named in both formats. The only way to do it for each texture is to play a game throughout with both plugins, to dump all textures in both formats. Then you may build the table of correspondence between two formats. Using this table you may easily convert from one format to another.
That's been my (and apparently q00u's) idea all along! And everyone thought I was crazy... :rolleyes: (Well, maybe I am, but not in this instance!) Now I'm even more anxious for the release of Jabo's new plugin. :p