What's new

Calling All Programmers!!!

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Ah, well yes... I think I know the issue. Quicklinks will attempt to find the file or folder specified UNLESS it starts with "http://".
That means, no "https://" or "ftp://". It's a bug - I will fix it.

OP
Xade

Xade

Irrelevant Insight
..."An unsupported operation was attempted."

A bizarre error I encounter when I try to run your new build. Any ideas what's going on?

For reference, I've been in London recently but I'm back again now and I should have everything you need in the way of the readme and icons soon.

Doomulation

Now that is strange... but let me investigate and get back to you on that tomorrow. In the mean time, I have another interesting thing to try out:
http://www.eluni.net/downloads/Quicklinks.7z

This is the newest build of post 1.0. But the thing is that it includes a setup. Download the package, extract and run setup. The new build is compiled with Visual Studio 2005 IDE (as compared to 2003 before), and also is dependant on the .NET Framework 2.0 (will migrate to this in future releases). Setup should automatically detect if these are installed (runtime and .NET Framework 2.0), and if not, it should download and install them.
This will make a nice and easy setup if it works! But I'm still a n00b in creating setup projects, so try it out and see if you can find any issues. Also try uninstalling it.

As of writing, however, the server (eluni.net) is down. So also is the domain of my service provider, so you might have to try it a little later.

EDIT: Server is no longer down. Also updated the package to solve an issue I noticed. Still, download and run Quicklinks.exe in package. Setup will download the installation files.

EDIT2: Here is a new, fixed, version.

EDIT3: I found some more string if you want to translate:

Code:
	m_ToolTip.AddTool(&m_treeCommands, "Here your commands are listed, Master. Double click on a command or click the plus sign beside it to expand the command and see the details of it.");
	info.lpszTitle = "Master, select your file or folder!";
	ErrBox("I failed to select your command, Master. Sorry.\nMore information as to why it failed can be found in the error log.", this);
					ErrBox("Sorry, Master - I was unable to find the command in the list. I will continue to add your command anyway, but the list won't be updated until you re-open the dialog.", this);
		ErrBox("Master, I failed to add the command to the list, but the command was saved.\nBut I don't understand why it failed.");
			strcpy(traydata.szInfo, "I'm retrieving your commands now, Master. Stand by!");
					ErrBox("Sorry, Master - I was unable to find the command in the list. I will continue to modify your command anyway, but the list won't be updated until you re-open the dialog.", this);
			ErrBox("Master, I failed to add the command to the list, but the command was saved.\nBut I don't understand why it failed.");
	m_ToolTip.AddTool(&m_chkStartWithWindows, "Master, if you check this option, this application will start when windows starts.");
	m_ToolTip.AddTool(GetDlgItem(IDC_MODIFIER_SHIFT), "Master, if you check this, you need to hold down the SHIFT button and press the shortcut key to use the shortcuts.");
				InfoBox("Master, welcome! Hi! Since this is your first time... take some time to configure your options... and add some commands.");
	strcpy(traydata.szTip, "Ready when you are, Master!");

Last edited:
OP
Xade

Xade

Irrelevant Insight
[Computer got trashed... I was sick all over it... a terrible night...]

MOVING ON... :D :

Okay, the installer works flawlessly, with the exception of repetition of 'Setup'. So, the setup asks whether you want to install 'Quicklinks Setup', when in fact you're installing the Quicklinks executable. This happens a number of times; "Quicklinks Setup Setup" etc...

That aside, the new version seems alright, although a number of strings remain unchanged, including tooltips, the 'Ready when you are, Master!' string (or the one with words to that effect). More worryingly, every time I attempt to apply settings, the 'Integrate with shell' option is unusable, and I receive the following error when closing the box:

'Failed to unregister the 'Shell.dll' file with the system. DllUnregisterServer returned an error. See the 'error.log' file for further details.'

...The error log is blank.

Ideas?!?!!!

EDIT: The one on the C: drive stated:

pManageDlg->ShowWindow(SW_SHOW) FAILED in [Register Command].

...Hmm.

Last edited:

Doomulation

Don't worry about the new build, just worry about the installer.
I'm doing a port of it to the .NET Framework 2.0, which means there will be a lot of testing later. But let's get back to the 1.0 build instead...

OP
Xade

Xade

Irrelevant Insight
Xade said:
..."An unsupported operation was attempted."

A bizarre error I encounter when I try to run your new build. Any ideas what's going on?

For reference, I've been in London recently but I'm back again now and I should have everything you need in the way of the readme and icons soon.

...Doom, are you around?

Both of the latest versions of Quicklinks haven't worked properly, and I was thinking there might be a new, fixed v1.0 build around the corner to get stuck into?

Hit me back if you can.

Doomulation

I believe the build I posted on the 27th fixed that problem. Yes, I'm always around.
If it doesn't work, then well... post the feedback >_<

OP
Xade

Xade

Irrelevant Insight
Hey-hey,

No, the problem was reported after that build was posted. There was another problem with the version of Quicklinks your installer installed, too.

If you think both issues are fixed, if you wouldn't mind posting the latest build, without an installer, I'll check it out. Oh, and I'll modify those additional threads tomorrow after work.

OP
Xade

Xade

Irrelevant Insight
...Alright.

No other flaws *seem* to be present now barring one...

'Failed to unregister the 'Shell.dll' file with the system. DllUnregisterServer returned an error. See the 'error.log' file for further details.'

This happens whenever I reset all options after having Quicklinks register with the registry; when I click '...reset...', then click 'OK', I am presented with that message, but nothing is specified in the 'error.log' file.

I really can't understand what's gone wrong. Ideas?

EDIT: Replacement strings:

Code:
m_ToolTip.AddTool(&m_treeCommands, "Here are all previously entered Quicklinks. Double-click one of them or click the '+' next to it to check its details.");	

info.lpszTitle = "Please select a file or folder.";

ErrBox("The Quicklink couldn't be selected.\nInformation as to why  can be found in the 'error log' file.", this);

ErrBox("The Quicklink specified could not be found in the list. It will be added, but may not appear until the 'Manage Quicklinks' screen is reloaded.", this);

ErrBox("The Quicklink specified could not be added to the list, but was saved.\An unknown error occurred.");

strcpy(traydata.szInfo, "All previously saved Quicklinks are being retrieved. Please stand by.");

ErrBox("The Quicklink specified could not be found in the list. Modification of the Quicklink will continue anyway, but the list won't be updated until the 'Manage Quicklinks' screen is reloaded.", this);

ErrBox("The Quicklink specified could not be added to the list, but was saved.\An unknown error occurred.");

m_ToolTip.AddTool(&m_chkStartWithWindows, "Enabling this option will have Quicklinks load along with the operating system.);

m_ToolTip.AddTool(GetDlgItem(IDC_MODIFIER_SHIFT), "Enabling this option will require the 'Shift' key to be held while pressing the Quicklinks shortcut key in future.");

InfoBox("Please take some time to configure Quicklinks.");

strcpy(traydata.szTip, "Quicklinks is ready.");

Last edited:

Doomulation

I must admit - I've only tried to uncheck that box and click OK and never reset. It might be the same, but I might as well TRY to see why it fails - because it shouldn't...
I hope you're not on a limited user account, because DllUnregisterServer, as you know, modifies the registry.

OP
Xade

Xade

Irrelevant Insight
No, no... I'm on an admin account with full capabilities - it's my PC!

It's bizarre, because in earlier incarnations it never used to come up with that error...

Doomulation

Yes, it is very bizzare. One more question though: does it success even though it displays an error message? Do the "Shell" entries disappear from the context menu at all? Perhaps it is merely a logic error (it displays an error message when it shouldn't).
I didn't look into it last night, but I will! >_<

EDIT: I found the issue you described. It seems to happen when you unregister the shell and try to do so again. For now, ignore it. It seems to happen outside my code - by code in the ATL Library. It tries to delete the type library information (but fails since it is already deleted), or something like that. It might be a problem with my registration script - I will have to look into that! But, just ignore it for now.

Last edited:
OP
Xade

Xade

Irrelevant Insight
Understood.

When do you feel the time would be right to enter into a public beta stage? Oh, and did you add those strings I changed?

Doomulation

Err... no, I haven't... Ahahaha. But I did make a workaround for the other error. Any time is alright. When the next bug surfaces, I'll be sure to include the strings in it as well.
Go ahead!
...Btw, I was thinking about adding a channel #Quicklinks (or similar) to EFNet, since you seem to be around so little. That way, you could report bugs realtime and get much work done each time you are around. The same goes for the beta test.
Yes, #Quicklinks is free. I'll be there if you want to reach me.

OP
Xade

Xade

Irrelevant Insight
Yeah, I apologise - university's been a total bitch recently.

I'll see if I can spy any more bugs, and yeah, if you get the chance try to incorporate those strings et al.

I'll (hopefully) be around a *lot* more now, but I might still give the channel a go, too.

I'll keep you posted with any more developments...

Doomulation

On second note, if you decide to show up on IRC sometime, I think that if an IRC channel is a good thing, then I will probably set it up on another network such as Newnet or the like, since I can't have bots running to keep the channels.
EDIT: I set one up on Newnet if you are interested. #Quicklinks it is. My host won't allow me to use bots, so...
If you don't want one, we'll just dismiss the channel.

Last edited:
OP
Xade

Xade

Irrelevant Insight
Hey-hey,

I've been trying to use the channels for several days. The problem? THE UNIVERSITY NETWORK!!!

Arrrgggrgrgrgrrrrgrrgrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh.

The firewalls must just be set to some insanely high level of protection.

Anyway, the conclusion being, of course, that the channel's useless for me while I'm here. Fortunately I *am* back at home for the next five weeks, starting the end of next week. So I could be around then.

Alternatively, if you have an instant messaging program you like using, get me your ID and I'll add you - MSN, AOL, the usual...

As for the bugs... we're 100% now as far as I can see. The next logical step *is* the public beta. This, of course, is only assuming you've fixed the other two issues I told you about, and put those strings in... :p

I've said this for ever and a day, but, assuming that's our final version, save for bugs being found, I'll have you the readme for tomorrow. And that's actually a promise. The icons (I made eight) I've scrapped. I'll work on those tonight.

I'm really sorry about these past few weeks - I've been all over the place. I figure if we get some sort of instant messaging worked out, progress would be a lot smoother...

Doomulation

You can connect to IRC servers at many different ports - or at least, some. As for IM, I have msn, so I can pm the email to you.
Don't worry about the delay - I have been working on other things.