Did you find this Faq usefull ?

• Yes

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

WhiteX

@Blacklord, he said it is not a sure thing, sometimes it took 8 hours for him to get the problem, let it go man, he sure had way more time trying that than you did.
Moreso scottjc is like that, a guy passionate with what he does, this dispute have no point give it up, man.
EDIT: a core issue is an issue with the emulator itself.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
WhiteX said:
@Blacklord, he said it is not a sure thing, sometimes it took 8 hours for him to get the problem, let it go man, he sure had way more time trying that than you did.
Moreso scottjc is like that, a guy passionate with what he does, this dispute have no point give it up, man.
EDIT: a core issue is an issue with the emulator itself.
Yeah, that and my mother just died so i'm in no mood for his shit. Doesn't matter, i'm past caring what he thinks, i've already made my case here in Banjo-Tooie Faq, scroll down to all the final results (on the first page) and notice that they all require an eep fix which means Project64 has a core issue with the save file and I am 100% certain that is the reason it crashes. Thanks for backing me up WhiteX.

Me and 4real put in a hell of a lot of time with this game, we're inefficient? ha.

Last edited:

Trotterwatch

I can confirm that ScottJC was in the PJ64 beta IRC channel a lot a while back talking this issue over with Smiff (and a few others) and trying so many things to find out what causes the crash. He is correct, so Blacklord just leave it kiddo :p Or we'll put that usertitle under more scrutiny.

Last edited:
OP
4real

4real

Blacklord :

ScottJc and myself have done a lot of testing on this game and sorry to say that the synch to audio fix does not work.

Synch to audio can help with any jerking u might get with the game but random crashes will still happen at some point,the game can be played for a long time upto 16 hours with out any crashes.

Certain points in the game will cause the game to crash like the dynamite game.

Please feel free to show us your results and any results that are correct will be added.

As scottjc said the only emu that works well is 1964 version 8.5.

The workaround seems to work well but remb it only a workaround for pj64 1.6 and might not work on all systems.

OP
4real

4real

New update:

The faq has been fully update and the unstable test results are now added for 1.5.2 gfx in pj 64 1.6.

Taken fix out and just called workaround as this is what it is so people dont get confused.

Miretank

Lurking
Damn, someone was owned again... :D
And ScottJC, I'm sorry for hearing that. I wish good luck and force for you and your family.

Back to thread... my crashes occur randomly - sometimes after 2 hours of playing, others in just 15 mins. Core issues are damn hard to control. :\

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
My theory is that Banjo-Tooie in Project64 creates a curropt save file, and at a point the rom tries to save and completely rolls over and dies. In the fps mining level - I had managed to create a native save that would almost always crash while playing that part of the game.

I know its a weird sounding error, but at least the game is fully functional without crashes on the 1964 0.8.5 setup. I really recommend this setup because it hasn't crashed once on me, don't use Azimers Audio beta though because it causes the intro to crash.

My recommended setup:
  • 1964 0.8.5
  • Mupens Rsp
  • Schibo's Audio based on Uhle
  • Jabo's Direct3d 1.6
  • Jabos Input Plugin
To assemble this, download 1964 0.8.5 + 0.9.9 - Project64 1.6 - mupen, take the 1964 0.8.5 and put it in a folder of your choosing, "theif" the schiboaud.dll from 0.9.9 and add to your 0.8.5 folder.

"Theif" the jabo plugins from project64 1.6, and mupens rsp.dll file from mupen (rename it to rsp.dll) and enable in 1964 0.8.5

the reason I say use mupens rsp is because the game won't boot without it, and the pj64 rsp could be to blame for the crashes, i don't take no chances as I do not know, so I use mupens rsp plugin.

1964 0.9.9 would be fine but it has collison problems with the fire egg switch, as far as I know 0.8.5 has no issues with this rom. Jabos 1.6 video plugin supports all of the framebuffer effects as well (just a bit funny on the jigsaw puzzles that open the worlds, but thats ignorable).

Use schibo's audio because it seems to function in perfect harmony with mupens rsp, the audio sounds perfect and completely in sync and above all else is stable.

And finally of course enable speed sync.

-- Below is optional --
You can even boost the performance of BT by changing the counter factor to 1 in my setup (yeah i tested it, its stable). Disable Advanced Block Analysis too and link blocks.
---------------------

That's my solution for Banjo-Tooie, it works for Kazooie as well, banjo-Kazooie performs better on this setup as well. but it has no probs in pj64

MiretanK.O thanks for your concern for my family, I took it pretty hard (still am but i'm fine for now) - hence my absolute rage eariler in this thread - again i would've acted that way anyway because i've spent months working this game out in the past and finally figured out the solution to making it work the way I want it to.

To be honest 1964 has always had better timing for the rareware games anyway. (except for Dk64 of course, which is the best on PJ64) hope you found these instructions helpful. To be honest I am completely sick of looking at Banjo-Tooie but I am damn proud I got a result I can be proud of.

I wish I could pack all of this together (without the rom) and give it to people but I can't sorry, its a bit of a pain in the ass to get going but it is worth it if you love this game, or even like it. Try it MiretanK.O you won't be disappointed :D

Last edited:
OP
4real

4real

Update :-

The final release of the faq is now done for now that is.

All results and tips added and ScottJc rec settings added.

Sorry to hear about ya mum scottjc ?

I'm all Banjo tooied out, now time for a rest i thimks lol

Typify

Nolife
I have beat Banjo-Tooie 100% two times with Project64 1.6 with all default plugins and the latest RDB and experienced about 10 crashes while playing. Maybe more, maybe less. It might be because of my computer specs, too.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Typify said:
I have beat Banjo-Tooie 100% two times with Project64 1.6 with all default plugins and the latest RDB and experienced about 10 crashes while playing. Maybe more, maybe less. It might be because of my computer specs, too.
No, its a core issue - i believe the native save curropts; apparently if you start your game in 1964 and take your native save over it doesn't crash at all.

The game must try to write to its native save, see that it is curropt and just crash because it got data it wasn't expecting - that would explain why its happened while i've walked through doors before.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
wow ive been away for a while but thanks a lot everyone who spent time on this - one of the nastiest things to track down we've seen... so the issue for pj64 is definately native save related? hopefully we can get somewhere fixing that.
although, its still a mystery how zilmar was able to play through the game (and he had to play pretty much the entire game to make the LUT for the copy protection) without seeing the hanging.. perhaps it didnt use to hang in PJ64 v1.5 and something with saves broke since?

(the rdb update, btw, did fix a different crash, to do with SP hack. i think)

edit: one more thing, can someone please attach a "good" native save - made from 1964 or whatever - that they have played in PJ64 and know does not crash. that would be very useful! (it will confirm this diagnosis, and zilmar can use it for comparison)

Last edited:

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Well in the past, when i've got it to crash...the game would crash again and again quicker from then on... and that is from loading from a native save so thats why I blame native saves. Haven't really touched the game much but when I get the time i'll grab you a native save for BT from 1964.

I believe I posted a native save somewhere before that causes crashes... maybe see if I can dig it up.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
heh, i have a save that causes crashes ;) was hoping for one that can be played from w/o crashes. please anyone

OP
4real

4real

I have posted a native save on the faq that i have had no problems at all.

But this does have no parts of the game so u have to start from the start.

I do have a native save at a further part of the game if u need it and is further into the game.

Just let us know

Last edited:
OP
4real

4real

Update:

Banjo tooie faq is on its own website now, i will be adding more things to the site as time goes on and hoped to have a better host site for it.

cheers 4real

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Here's some info on how I managed to produce the crashes [PJ64] in the past in case nobody believes me,

1) Run around like a maniac, through as many doors as possible, don't stop for any reason to talk just keep moving
2) Play the First person shooter levels as often as possible, especially the TNT level, I was almost guarenteed a crash playing that level
3) Play it as normal for an extremely large amount of time, i'm not talking an hour or two but 5-10 hours without stopping.

But due to the nature of random crash, you might be incredibly lucky and miss a lot of the crashing. Definition of random crash for people like Blacklord: "Something that doesn't happen in the same place or time" i.e. why the term is random crash.

The 1964 0.8.5 is a more pleasent setup anyway because it has better timing for the Banjo games than Project64 does and you can use the latest jabo plugin without worry too. I like to use CF1 and play the game at really smooth framerates without worry of crashing.

I wonder if I used Mupens RSP project64 would crash? hmm, dunno... I doubt it would help. My theory is the native save curropts in the game. Not to be completely negative of Project64, I definitely believe PJ64 is better for Zelda and Donkey Kong 64.

Last edited: