What's new

Anyone tried NICE64 - ICE64 emulators?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imgema

Retro Hoarder
Im testing the latest beta version of ICE64 from emucr and i can say that im impressed so far. The emulator plays Resident Evil 2 and Top Gear Overdrive almost perfectly with default settings (in TGRO you need to enable a certain cheat to work). The only problem is that the audio plugin slows down many other games for me when i use sync option to fix crackling. This wouldn't be a problem if i could change plugins and use azimer's audio plugin for some games but whenever im trying to go to the change plugins window it crashes. I tried other versions and it crashes on every single one of them.

Has anyone tried these emulators and if yes, do they also crash for you when trying to change plugins? I can't find a forum for these as they are fairly new and unknown projects.

Last edited:

death--droid

ICE64 and NICE64 are both forks off the 1964 1.1 source code, technically pokefan's releases are in breach of the GPL. Im guessing that your using the RSP from project64 itself?? (I cant remember if Zilmars audio plugin works without his RSP or not) It sounds like a problem in the actual code, he must of made some dodgy change to the way 1964 loads in plugins or scans directories for them, or possibly the way it lists them. You'd be better off contacting Pokefan then posting here since theres nothing really anyone here can do about it.

Last edited:
OP
Imgema

Imgema

Retro Hoarder
You'd be better off contacting Pokefan then posting here since theres nothing really anyone here can do about it.
I followed your advise and it paid off. Pokefan just released a new version on his site that fixes this problem.

etking

The emulator is currently called STX64 and can be found here https://sites.google.com/site/stx64home/home

The GUI is very unstable and crashes often but the myglide64 video plugin is one of the best currently available and can be used with project64 and 1964, it even fixes stupid bugs that can be found in the final build of glide64, like creation of a corrupted texture cache where all textures are blue-colored in zelda oot highrez textures.

DETOMINE

The emulator is currently called STX64 and can be found here https://sites.google.com/site/stx64home/home
The GUI is very unstable and crashes often but the myglide64 video plugin is one of the best currently available and can be used with project64 and 1964, it even fixes stupid bugs that can be found in the final build of glide64, like creation of a corrupted texture cache where all textures are blue-colored in zelda oot highrez textures.

https://sites.google.com/site/stx64home/documents
I'm not able to download anything...
Is that normal?

Truth Unknown

It's depressing how this guy wanted some interest in this emulator and they just hide it. How is anyone supposed to have taken interest when it was changing names, changing sites and trying to take testers at the same.

Zuzma

My guess is the guy is paranoid. Is he afraid of having to release his source code or maybe just negative feedback? I have no idea really. Then again people can be self destructive when they don't like the work they're doing too.

Last edited:

dazey238

My guess is the guy is paranoid. Is he afraid of having to release his source code or maybe just negative feedback? I have no idea really. Then again people can be self destructive when they don't like the work they're doing too.

IIRC he was working on forks of the 1964 code and the Glide64 code - I dunno, seems a bit weird to me to want to close source a project based on open source work, but he appears to have his reasons so what are you gonna do? Shame though as I was reading here that the myglide64 video plugin has been coming on nicely....

Zuzma

Well I knew he helped with other various projects. I just thought it was very weird he kept restarting and renaming his project.

etking

Maybe he should seriously consult a psychologist. His myglide64 plugin was quite good (and can still be found on EmuCR) and I wanted to report some bugs as there are a few games such as Ogre Battle that run better with Glide64 final but if the name of the emulator changes every other day it becomes impossible to support his efforts. If the future of N64 emulation relies on such people, there is no future.

etking

The GPL license of Glide64 and 1964 requires him to release the source, no matter how much effort he put into the project.

F

Fanatic 64

He seems to be afraid of negative criticism/feedback/bug reports, and only wants to either be recognized as the perfect emulator, or not be recognized at all. He keeps changing the project's name and keeping the source code secret to avoid any such criticism. I think he may should seek for some psychologist/therapist.

But anyway, keeping the code secret is already against the license and could even be considerate copyright infringement, he is exposing himself to legal actions from the program's creators.

Status
Not open for further replies.