What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

_pm_ Super Smash Bros.

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
Resolution limitations have nothing to do with your CPU. It's all about your videocard's fillrate/memory bandwidth. With an M(e)X(ican)440, those numbers aren't suprising. Chances are you have a 64-bit RAM version which makes matters worse.

gandalf

Member ready to help
cooliscool said:
Resolution limitations have nothing to do with your CPU. It's all about your videocard's fillrate/memory bandwidth. With an M(e)X(ican)440, those numbers aren't suprising. Chances are you have a 64-bit RAM version which makes matters worse.
Do you know, how an MX440 works?.
An FX5200?.
So, please don´t talk if you don´t know.
I played some games with an MX 440 onboard with an athlon xp 2200, and the results were nice, any slowdown in any moment, 1280x960 res.
So...that MX 440 can be an 128-bit version, little difference in performance.
You got something with mexicans?

Dysprosium

Graphics Designer
cooliscool said:

I can see what you're getting at, it is only a 64mb. But, there still shouldn't be much slowdown. There isn't any slowdown without enhanced textures even in the highest resolution, but sometimes I get slight slowdown on some resolutions with high-res.

I don't know, it doesn't effect at 800x600 so I'm fine. :p

_pm_

Pathetic Member
Just a comment: I'm testing SSB with a Geforce FX 5200 64-bit w/128MB at 1024x768x32 (OpenGL renderer) and I didn't notice any major slowdowns (if any) with the hirez 4X replacement background (about 40 textures at 1200x24 each) moving all the time. The 64-bit memory bandwith is not a problem for me.

Rice, you're right, the original background is big enough to consider if there's a really need for a 4X hires replacement. I think 3X would be the best option for 1024x768 and lower resolutions, although a new texture might look good even at 2X.

gandalf

Member ready to help
_pm_ said:
Just a comment: I'm testing SSB with a Geforce FX 5200 64-bit w/128MB at 1024x768x32 (OpenGL renderer) and I didn't notice any major slowdowns (if any) with the hirez 4X replacement background (about 40 textures at 1200x24 each) moving all the time. The 64-bit memory bandwith is not a problem for me.

Rice, you're right, the original background is big enough to consider if there's a really need for a 4X hires replacement. I think 3X would be the best option for 1024x768 and lower resolutions, although a new texture might look good even at 2X.
I have an fx5200 64-bit with 128 ram,and the same, any slowdown, and i set the plug-in to work with 4xAA and 8xAF (1024x768)

loopsider

_pm_ said:
Well, I picked an image at random and applied on Hyrule Castle's background to test if replacing the background with a 4X image was possible. It seems that it can be replaced without any noticeable problems (I have no idea if these enhancements "eats" your video cards, working fine here).

It would be nice to find/make a decent replacement background as close as the original as possible. I post the original one if for some reason someone can improve it or find a decent replacement.

Anyways, I'll continue with the regular textures for now :)

EDIT: I figured that the background is missing the top and bottom textures. I'll upload the correct dumps later :huh:
That looks awesome. I dont care if it isn't hyrule, thats an awesome background to play in.

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
gandalf said:
Do you know, how an MX440 works?.
An FX5200?.
So, please don´t talk if you don´t know.
I played some games with an MX 440 onboard with an athlon xp 2200, and the results were nice, any slowdown in any moment, 1280x960 res.
So...that MX 440 can be an 128-bit version, little difference in performance.
You got something with mexicans?

Actually I know exactly how the two work 2x1 Pipes on the MX440, 4x1 on an FX 5200. 128bit or 64bit memory bus for either depending on manufacturer. I also know alot of other info which doesn't really matter in this topic. I used to own a M(e)X(ican)440 with 64MB 64-bit DDR, and it was an absolute piece of junk.

Using hi-res textures obviously eats VRAM, and with his 64MB it's obvious why it's laggy above 800x600..

I really doubt you played anything other than N64 emus @ 1280x960 with no slowdown on a M(e)X(ican)440. :) Nothing against Mexicans per se, it just seems fitting. :p

optimus$prime

_pm_ said:
Well, I picked an image at random and applied on Hyrule Castle's background to test if replacing the background with a 4X image was possible. It seems that it can be replaced without any noticeable problems (I have no idea if these enhancements "eats" your video cards, working fine here).

It would be nice to find/make a decent replacement background as close as the original as possible. I post the original one if for some reason someone can improve it or find a decent replacement.

Anyways, I'll continue with the regular textures for now :)

EDIT: I figured that the background is missing the top and bottom textures. I'll upload the correct dumps later :huh:

that's very nice!! it isn't hyrule but it looks great
i don't think that this is too big for the gfx because you should also use a dx9 card with the plugin...

there is a program called "Terragen" which u can use for creating landscapes that look real. its easy to use. but implementing objects like "Kakairo Village" is more difficult. 1 year ago i created very nice skyboxes for ut04. go to the official homepage and check out the screenshots. they are not real: Terragen

Last edited:

_pm_

Pathetic Member
optimus$prime said:
that's very nice!! it isn't hyrule but it looks great
i don't think that this is too big for the gfx because you should also use a dx9 card with the plugin...

there is a program called "Terragen" which u can use for creating landscapes that look real. its easy to use. but implementing objects like "Kakairo Village" is more difficult. 1 year ago i created very nice skyboxes for ut04. go to the official homepage and check out the screenshots. they are not real: Terragen

Hey, this is AWESOME!!!!! Thanks for the link, it would be nice to give it a try!!! :)
Too bad (and good thing too) that the stage backgrounds that actually have a landscape are only 2 or maybe 3 (considering the Saffron City Stage hills behind the buildings). The others seem to be more complex or very simple (the Sector Z background is just stupid :huh: )

Last edited:

optimus$prime

it took me 10 minutes to do that image. it's just an example. i know that it's ugly but this isn't the highest quality. when u register terragen u can select ultra high details and there are also a lot of plugins

C0bra

PhotoshoP PimP
yea, terragen is great. just remember that putting a totally realistic photo-like picture as a background wont look good at least imo for scenes like Hyrule Castle and stuff.

anyways, since im the noob here, i probably shouldnt be lecturing anyone, so ill get to the original reason of why i registered.

how do u dump all this stuff into the game? itd really help me out, because i love SSB and play it all the time.

cloudscapes

Carbon-based molecule.
Yeah Terragen is really great. I've got a bunch of images in both 1/2 my galleries. I have to admit I thought of using it to make the skyboxes for Mario 64, but it doesn't really fit the style of my pack.

C0bra

PhotoshoP PimP
btw, i used photoshop to enhance the terragen image a little. every picture could use a little photoshop magic :phone:

_pm_

Pathetic Member
That landscape looks very nice. I tried to make my own ones, but they suck, I think I need more practice (and more inspiration, lol) :happy:

Optimus, would you consider making the sky color similar to the original one? Just an idea.

Btw, I'll make a redump of the original background to find the two missing textures. If someone wants to help, I recommend to use the debugger for this. When dumping, try to "move" the background to make its topmost and bottom textures appear.

Today, I'll see if I can turn optimus' picture into textures and upload it, so everybody can see the background replacement pros and cons.

Last edited:

_pm_

Pathetic Member
Well, after dumping the missing background textures (actually, they were four, not 2 as I supposed), I made a hires background based on optimus$prime's picture, including c0bra's changes and my own. I had to crop the image horizontally to preserve the aspect ratio. The original background size (after joining the tiles) is 300x263, cut into 44 tiles of 300x6 each, except for the last one which is 300x5 (I wonder why the game developers did such things). :plain:

You may notice some strange lines between the tiles. I wonder if there is a way to avoid this through the plugin configuration dialog. I tried disabling "Try to use smaller texture" but no luck. :( Anyways, the same effect occurs with the original textures. Enabling "Fine texture mapping" changes this behavior a bit.

Sorry for the big file, I'll try to make 2X or 3X for my next upload. :bunny:
EDIT #1: 2X and 3X don't seem to work properly.
EDIT #2: Removed

PD: Post screenshots if you want

Last edited:

_pm_

Pathetic Member
bigank said:
yeah it didn't work for me
Damn, I thought it should work fine with 4X textures. However, I've recently found a similar effect than yours while I was using the DirectX renderer. So, if you are using DirectX, try switching to OpenGL. And remember to leave the "Try to use smaller texture" option enabled.

Last edited:

bigank

thanks for ur help. but i have the bg appear, however, there is a lot of video flickers. :down: :angry: