What's new

Gamecube not worthy, says microsoft.

pandamoan

Banned
blizz said:
Christ what a big bunch of girls.

yeah, and to think this conversation was interesting till korn started throwing out weak LAN party stereotypes.

for the record: i've never been to a LAN party, but my friends have come over, had cocktails, got stoned, and killed each other relentlessly on MY lan hundreds of times. every friend i speak of either has multiple sexual partners that are attractive, or one steady serious one who is attractive.

come to think of it, the only friend i have that is a traditional "geek" usually gets his ass fragged relentlessly by everyone else, and starts whining about "why can't we just play halo?". strangely he holds his own in urban terror despite sucking in all versions of quake, which are the predominant LAN games we run.

sometimes we all do play 1964 though, on one machine with four controllers hooked up to the TV or my largest 21" monitor.

ironically the ORIGINAL nes console i had got more play than anything in the house, by all ages/sexes. super mario brothers 2 is the most popular game by far in a house where literally ANY game is immediately available. sadly, some girl stole my NES, so that's no longer a factor in the polls (recently i might add, i'm not talking about 10 years ago or anything, more like 5 months ago).

runner up would probably be quake 2 or dr. mario.

and yes, females factor prevelantly (sp?) in the mario brothers fan-dom, though the best mortal kombat players (all consoles/emus) tend to be female also.....

...yes i never expected that either.

and for the record, girls SUCK at quake.

jamie

vampireuk

Mr. Super Clever
Thanks Alpha, I'm also going to check for testicular cancer....its a good excuse to play with your nuts :D

DuDe

Emu64 Staff
KoЯn said:
Right... first off, you're probably talking about LAN parties. Yes, you're correct, I've never been to one, probably for the following reasons.

A)I don't suffer chronic acne
B)I don't know 15 other people that do
C)I don't wear thick glasses
D)I don't cry when I don't get an A at school
E)I don't live in a basement
F)I don't smell of BO

LMAO
So that means that people that gather around and play multiplayer console games are cool dudes or something like that? Let me tell you something, when your preferable way of spending time with your friends is playing a video game, the chances that you're a lifeless geek are damn steep.

pandamoan

Banned
for the record, testicular cancer is not as fun to check for as shaft cancer, i'm going to thoroughly check with both hands for that right now.

jamie

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
okay guys here look at this if you wanna see the zelda promotion disc confirmed
October 06, 2003 - Earlier this year, rumors ran rampant that Nintendo would release another Legend of Zelda bonus disc (similar to the Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time pre-order bonus) that would contain several of the classic titles. But with no confirmation from Nintendo the rumors were discredited and all prospects of a Zelda compilation disc were forgotten.

However, Nintendo has recently released artwork to retailers depicting a Legend of Zelda Collector's Edition disc. The disc will feature The Legend of Zelda, Zelda II: The Adventure of Link, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, and a demo of The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker. From the available artwork, it looks like this disc will be included as a pack in with new GameCubes, although we hope we'll also see it as a bonus for those who order The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords. While it most likely will be a straight port much like the Ocarina of Time disc, this is still a must have treat for all Zelda fans.
Now this beats me...why would they include zelda 2 and not 3? Afaik, zelda 3 is one of the most popular games (in the zelda series), just like ocarina of time.

Wonder if the cube outsold the other consoles due to the lowered price?

Macca

of course it was the cubes lowered price that sold them, but these extra owners are going to need games and gc has a few goodies for xmas

Stezo2k

S-2K
Doomulation said:
Now this beats me...why would they include zelda 2 and not 3? Afaik, zelda 3 is one of the most popular games (in the zelda series), just like ocarina of time.

Wonder if the cube outsold the other consoles due to the lowered price?

yeh i love zelda 3 and always will, its a great game, never liked any other one :)

as for price drops they dont seem to be doing much at all for the gc here, its a shame it does have good possibilities, nintendo are going for the younger games which is a shame

Doomulation

They sue themselves. Even though they wishes to attract more "older" players with bloody games, they still made zelda with childish gfx. Hmm, I wonder how that makes the cube's image? Just smart, shigeru!

2fast4u

Doomulation said:
They sue themselves. Even though they wishes to attract more "older" players with bloody games, they still made zelda with childish gfx. Hmm, I wonder how that makes the cube's image? Just smart, shigeru!

fo' fucks sake. what in the world is your problem with the so called "childish" graphics in wind waker? do you need to prove your maturity or masculinity by only playing games that seem to fit your age group? what players need to do is grow some real balls and honoring the damn content of a game instead of debatting if the graphics style is too childish.

smegforbrain

2fast4u said:
fo' fucks sake. what in the world is your problem with the so called "childish" graphics in wind waker? do you need to prove your maturity or masculinity by only playing games that seem to fit your age group? what players need to do is grow some real balls and honoring the damn content of a game instead of debatting if the graphics style is too childish.

But... the GameCube was PURPLE! :)

Besides, the content still blows goats.

Nintendo has a huge perception problem, they know it, and yet they're not doing a very good job of fixing it.

That, and Nintendo has a distinct lack of third party software, the kind of software that hard core gamers want to play.

Nintendo has only themselves to blame.

Dunno why you guys care to defend them over it either.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
pandamoan said:
u make some valid points, but you sold your soul to the devil (or more importantly your believability) when you said the snes version of doom was passable.

i guess it was passable, as something COMPLETELY UNRELATED to the PC version. or maybe it was passable as A VERY BAD JOKE.

either way, the snes version of doom was horrid. please let's just try to forget it and move on. LOL

How is it unrelated? It's only missing about 5 levels, the levels that are there are almost completely unchanged (some general details are lost, like the thin "striped windows" on some openings), and the music RULES BEYOND ALL COMPARISON.

Oh, and the complete inability to circle-strafe is irritating.

and there are great console games, i didn't mean to imply there aren't. I just see the MOST innovation on computer (RTS, FPS, online gaming, MMORPG). the physics have been better for ages.

have you played truck dismount yet? that is a great validation of the power of innovation on pc. simply put: that game rules, and is way funner than any of the GC games i've tried (so far, i've only tried about 7).

Truck dismount... I assume that's a demonstration of ragdoll physics? Go play Metal Gear Solid 2 or Metroid Prime, they have full ragdoll physics on falling corpses. I could recount some really impressive flops in Prime myself. :flowers:

optimization is valid. you win. of course i never said otherwise, but still, you win. just the fact the consoles aren't saddled with the 800 lb gorilla of windows gives them a huge performance boost. however with the continuing improvements in linux (and microsofts perennial game of catch up with it and other OSes) i see this fading rapidly in the near future.

Er... yes, you conceded the point, but for the wrong reason. Windows is NOT what's holding back PC performance... if it was, Linux versions of popular PC games would perform better than their Windows counterparts. They don't. QED. Windows is good at offering resources if the user and game coder aren't inept.

i definitely like the idea of standards based computing that dcook brought up, but let's face it: MS will never let that happen because opengl is the only true real 3d standard, and they are scared to death of it, and trying (successfully i might add) to blackmail hundreds of game companies into signing their souls over to the dx9 devil.

expect those game companies to loose out to more innovative ballsy companies that are not afraid to use opengl, and use it more creatively. i'm excited as anyone about doom 3 and halflife 2, but the mere fact that those games are sequels limits their appeal in some way. for instance: when gta 3 came out I signed off of fps altogether for a while to run over old ladies and steal drugs from colombians. (and that games gfx were VERY poorly implemented on pc, hardly any optimization done AT ALL it seemed!!)

O...K... you're so excited about two upcoming games... but one of them uses the API you hate so much! WOW!

MS isn't afraid of OpenGL. They don't need to be. Look how long DX has had shaders now, and note that core OpenGL spec - excluding extensions for a moment here - still doesn't include any at all. DX is very adaptive and has come very, very far since its inception - many game developers today actually prefer D3D9 to OpenGL with extensions, not just because Windows is the dominant platform.

Carmack is a notable exception, though, because frankly, while he is one amazing coder, he's a stubborn jackass who tried Direct3D 3 back in the day and couldn't get Quake to render correctly in two weeks, while getting OpenGL running in a weekend, and as a result, won't even give Direct3D anoter look today.

Doomulation

2fast4u said:
You're bashing the wrong thing. Even my brother *cough* *cough* said it was childish gfx. But I still played it an enjoyed it, nevermind the gfx.
I've no problems with such gfx, but some do.

pandamoan

Banned
Oh, and the complete inability to circle-strafe is irritating.

even if i were to concede all of your points (not gonna happen), this still makes you unbelievable. there is simply NO valid comparison between pc fps and ANY console fps. the mouse/key combo simply owns any kind of controller for fps. this alone makes it ridiculous to argue against. never mind the graphics, the online thing, the ability to play YOUR OWN CDS, etc etc. Come on, concede that pc fps owns console fps end of story.

Truck dismount... I assume that's a demonstration of ragdoll physics? Go play Metal Gear Solid 2 or Metroid Prime, they have full ragdoll physics on falling corpses. I could recount some really impressive flops in Prime myself. :flowers:

yes, this is all very true, and i like to watch deaths over and over in ut2k3 also, but the GAMEPLAY is pretty hillarious and fun in truck dismount. I like it's simplicity, and it's endless variety of possible endings.

Er... yes, you conceded the point, but for the wrong reason. Windows is NOT what's holding back PC performance... if it was, Linux versions of popular PC games would perform better than their Windows counterparts. They don't. QED. Windows is good at offering resources if the user and game coder aren't inept.

this is KIND OF true, however, there have been some demonstrations of linux outperforming windows, even with radically unoptomized drivers. and drivers are a VERY BIG DEAL in game performance.

O...K... you're so excited about two upcoming games... but one of them uses the API you hate so much! WOW!

MS isn't afraid of OpenGL. They don't need to be. Look how long DX has had shaders now, and note that core OpenGL spec - excluding extensions for a moment here - still doesn't include any at all. DX is very adaptive and has come very, very far since its inception - many game developers today actually prefer D3D9 to OpenGL with extensions, not just because Windows is the dominant platform.

well, there are advantages and disadvantages to both, obviously, or one wouldn't exist at all.

Carmack is a notable exception, though, because frankly, while he is one amazing coder, he's a stubborn jackass who tried Direct3D 3 back in the day and couldn't get Quake to render correctly in two weeks, while getting OpenGL running in a weekend, and as a result, won't even give Direct3D anoter look today.[/QUOTE]

considering that carmack virtually invented the fps industry, your chastisement is a little out of hand.

"I find your lack of faith, disturbing!" -Vader-

speaking of star wars, let's hope carmack wins the x prize, eh?

jamie

pj64er

PJ64 Lubba
pandamoan said:
even if i were to concede all of your points (not gonna happen), this still makes you unbelievable. there is simply NO valid comparison between pc fps and ANY console fps. the mouse/key combo simply owns any kind of controller for fps. this alone makes it ridiculous to argue against. never mind the graphics, the online thing, the ability to play YOUR OWN CDS, etc etc. Come on, concede that pc fps owns console fps end of story.

yes, this is all very true, and i like to watch deaths over and over in ut2k3 also, but the GAMEPLAY is pretty hillarious and fun in truck dismount. I like it's simplicity, and it's endless variety of possible endings.

why do all you people think the ability to play your own music during your gaming sessions is so important? For one, the game usually has its own fitting music and two, if you need to play your own music TURN ON THE FUCKING STEREO. And the whole fps needing mouse/keyboard thing. Are you telling me dikatana is better than golden eye JUST because its got mouse/keyboard controls? Better controls does not a better game make (its important, yes, but its not the only determining factor). Also, you compare only fps's...the pc's strength. How about platformers? side scrolling shooters? and fighting games? Console simply pwns pc in many other genres. And their controls are better too :p

The bit about truck dismount...please, the gameplay of that is equivalent to a science experiment. You set vars, and you watch ragdoll goodness. If your idea of good gameplay is watching a visual gimmick (which ragdoll physics is, it adds nothing to the actual game), then you too, sold your soul to the devil.

OP
AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
pj64er said:
Are you telling me dikatana is better than golden eye JUST because its got mouse/keyboard controls? Better controls does not a better game make (its important, yes, but its not the only determining factor).

Saying its merely a "factor" is a big understatement though. Having keyboard/mouse controls adds a distinctly better dimension of realism feel to the game (somehow controllers feel so much more linear, and they also make the game feel a LOT slower). Besides that, games are continualy becoming more and more geared towards multiplayer, and using a regular controller in a multiplayer game is just asking (nay...begging is more like it) to be slaughtered.