What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

hi rez textures support and detail texturing!

MiLO83

Rice, I must say i am excited about this concept and will most likely be highly active in making textures when this plugin is released. I have a few quick ideas.
A nice touch for one would be the ability to animate any texture, and have the driver change frames based on the image name, ie - grass_riceanim_1_5, grass_riceanim_2_5, and grass_riceanim_3_5, would be a 3 frame cycle advancing to the next image after 5 frames. (If riceanim_[+1]_* doesnt exist goto riceanim_1_* loop)
heh i'm hardly a programmer but i'm sure you know what i mean.
This could be used to simulate everything from moving grass in fields, added character blinking, clothes rippling, shoelaces bouncing, etc. It could also be used to add "inbetween frames" in existing animations, and should be easy to code.

Next, although i don't have a pixel shader card yet, Bump mapping would be a huge bonus. We can't update the models (well i'm sure we could but thats another story) but added bump-mapping / pixel-shading would improve the look of the models alot.
{think Links shield, or any water, brick, rocks, tree bark etc}
Also if implemented please make pixel-shading an option as i cant afford a few hundred $$$ graphic card yet. (i'll probably wait 'till i get a new computer.

Hope you like my suggestions,
and thanks for reading,
- MiLO83

Rice

Emulator Developer
Textures are tracked by their CRC. It won't be possible to track them by frame number and sequence number they are used. Texture animation could be very interesting, but I don't see it is feasible to do, at least not for now.

Btw, a pixel shader card isn't that expensive. A Geforce 5200 AGP card costs only about $50.

MiLO83

I was thinking the textures CRC plus the frame info for the texture name.
THE LEGEND OF ZELDA#4FA25A66#0#2_rgb.bmp
would be animated with :
THE LEGEND OF ZELDA#4FA25A66#0#2_rgb_riceanim_1_60.bmp
THE LEGEND OF ZELDA#4FA25A66#0#2_rgb_riceanim_2_3.bmp
THE LEGEND OF ZELDA#4FA25A66#0#2_rgb_riceanim_3_3.bmp

Holding the first for 60 frames, and the 2nd and 3rd for 3 frames each,
then repeating the cycle.

- MiLO83

SWAT_Marc

Ind. Design Student
Wow, it looks quite nice!! :happy: . Great work Rice!!

We are a good team, although I did the hard part of the work :p (just kidding :saint: )

I'll upload more bmps ASAP, and I'll check out the errors of the ocarina in the original PNG.

Keep up that fantastic work :) and, of course, thank you for it ;)

Quvack

Wow I never thought this kind of feature would get anywhere in the n64 scene for a while to come still but its looking/sounding good so far :)

I'd be very interested in trying this for a few of the rom hacking/translating projects I've sort of got going, it'd be extremly useful when it comes to replacing the compressed textures without having to figure out the compression scheme.

Nice work rice :D

Hexidecimal

Emutalk Bounty Hunter.
Wow.... I didn't even think this was possible. Incredible, Absolutletly incredible, High Res OoT or SSB, or Mario 64, Leave it to rice to breath new life into N64 Emulation once again. Keep it up rice and SWAT_Marc.

Federelli

Beta Tester
While the ocarina does look high res, it's not good at all. Give it another try, you can do much better i'm sure.

Please if this is to become a project, set some high standards for it, don't just accept everything that's sent just because it's higher res.

Federelli

Beta Tester
Here's what i did with:
THE LEGEND OF ZELDA#CC41E8D6#3#1_rgb.bmp
and
THE LEGEND OF ZELDA#CC41E8D6#3#1_a.bmp

Updated, should look even better now.

Last edited:

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
Great... a high quality emulation of zelda, better then on my N64, never thought that it would be possible...
Rice, you are so great!

knowitman

This is very nice. I wish I knew how to extract textures for games. I could possibly try to do some textures for Mario64 with my limited artistic abilities.

This is just my personal opinion, but I think you should add a little smoothed edge on the alpha for the moon. That would add a small halo around the moon which would look good.

Last edited:

Federelli

Beta Tester
Wait, that's the moon ;).

The sun is a bit harder since it's just a "shine effect", no texture could be applied. I also see that inmy moon, a little bit of the alpha channel is missaligned, perhaps you can fix this rice, you just have to move the white circle a bit, piece of cake.

So, are link's room and hyrule town (and other 2d backs), made of lot's of tinny horizontal images? If so, that's gonna be a pain to remake in highres.

Also, i belive 4x times the original res is more than enough for now own, even though it all ends up being not so high res in the end.
I mean having all textures 4x times the original will keep the same aspect ratio throught the game. It'll be a mess if some go 2x others 4x or 8x.

Last edited:

Federelli

Beta Tester
Also, the hearts from this zelda could be replaced with the better looking ones from majora's Mask, same with other things ;).

Federelli

Beta Tester
I can't seem to find the sky textures, most likely it's one of those b&w ones with some crazy combiner mode applied... still it'd be nice to know which files are the sky.

Ok enough posts in a row, someone post something already!

Oh, THE LEGEND OF ZELDA#E9EF96C5#3#1_a
and
THE LEGEND OF ZELDA#E9EF96C5#3#1_rgb

Last edited:

SWAT_Marc

Ind. Design Student
Hey! What's the problem with the Ocarina? I just traced the origninal picture :plain:

BTW, the moon looks great :), but the ripple isn't as it should be (the waves are wider).

The "problem" with the size of the resized bmps can be solved creating vectorial grafics and then converting them to the size and format we want to use. I did at first a PNG and then exported it to BMP;)

Another quick update: new (and short, sorry) pack

Rice

Emulator Developer
SWAT_Marc

The right edge of the ocarina is cut off. It seems that the ocarina is too wide.