What's new

Cool Screenies

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
I wouldn't worry about legal issues with this at all. It's only illegal if you actualy put the rom itself on ET. The only way nintendo could do something is if somebody here who posted a screenshot actualy signed a non-disclosure agreement.

LD.

*poke*
It ran a bit slower for me, but that was before I set Master Quest to use the original OOT settings ;)

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
LaC said:
by the way,
The gamecube version is not running an n64 emulator fools!
The game has most likely just been modified/recompiled for gamecube.
Just think about it, where is the rom gonna go? the master quest rom is 64meg... just try fitting that in 24meg. Not to mention all the other memory issues you would have.

Eh... the ROM is NOT 64MB.

The only N64 games I know of that use full 64MB ROM sizes are Pokémon Stadium 2 and Resident Evil 2.

If I'm not mistaken, OoT original is about 32MB.

And you forget that GCN doesn't have 24MB RAM, it has 40MB. 24MB uberfast and 16MB not quite so uberfast... :)

And finally... if they coded an emulator, why would the entire ROM *HAVE* to fit into main RAM? They could, say, have the emulator do some dynamic loading tricks with a small array of pre-set pointer addresses, so that, say, when you're within a certain range of Hyrule Castle, the sector of the ROM with Hyrule Castle and Town gets put into fast RAM.

Added:

I think we're missing the big picture here. Nintendo created an emulator for the GC to run N64 games. I think thats more interesting then Master Quest... just maybe not as fun

It's no big deal really, remember that OoT was one of the first games to run perfectly in UltraHLE. If N made an emulator they probably used an HLE scheme. :)

LaC

When i said 64, i meant to say 32.
You must realize that they would have to have most of the rom in "fast" ram. Game data (not just audio samples) are constantely streamed from rom... And this data is all over the rom. They could "Stream" data into fast ram from the disc when they got close to hyrule castle... but that requires changing game code (and note this rom runs on an n64, so that rules that out).
Just think of this, from a programmers standpoint... if you were told to make a version of oot that works on the gamecube what would you do? #1 make a dynamically recompiling core with perfect display list emulation and sounds emulation... or #2 simply take the existing source you have access to (simply because you work for nintendo) and port that to gamecube.... By recompiling the C code and writing HLE functions for the OS and modify the zelda engine to preload data rather than stream...
Giving the limitations of the gamecube, and the fact that i would have source code of zelda...Lemme think, uh... i'd take the 2nd one thanks.

Tagrineth said:
Eh... the ROM is NOT 64MB.

The only N64 games I know of that use full 64MB ROM sizes are Pokémon Stadium 2 and Resident Evil 2.

If I'm not mistaken, OoT original is about 32MB.

And you forget that GCN doesn't have 24MB RAM, it has 40MB. 24MB uberfast and 16MB not quite so uberfast... :)

And finally... if they coded an emulator, why would the entire ROM *HAVE* to fit into main RAM? They could, say, have the emulator do some dynamic loading tricks with a small array of pre-set pointer addresses, so that, say, when you're within a certain range of Hyrule Castle, the sector of the ROM with Hyrule Castle and Town gets put into fast RAM.

Added:

It's no big deal really, remember that OoT was one of the first games to run perfectly in UltraHLE. If N made an emulator they probably used an HLE scheme. :)

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
They could "Stream" data into fast ram from the disc when they got close to hyrule castle... but that requires changing game code (and note this rom runs on an n64, so that rules that out).

No, they don't have to touch the drive, they can just transfer data over from the slow RAM (16MB) as long as the emulator isn't over 8MB which is very unlikely.

What's the N64's cartridge slot bandwidth? Over 81MB/sec?

NeTo

Emu_64 HiP Coder
I'm even more confused

I have been just 'listening' to what LaC and Tagrineth had said, and I remembered also when I read the info file that came with the rom... it said it was a Pal60 game (???). Are there Pal60 GamCubes? And if so, how or why did Nintendo made that game in such a format? Does that simplifies porting it to GCN somehow?

Oh! my head is spinning...:doh:

Zuzma

Tagrineth said:
No, they don't have to touch the drive, they can just transfer data over from the slow RAM (16MB) as long as the emulator isn't over 8MB which is very unlikely.

What's the N64's cartridge slot bandwidth? Over 81MB/sec?

I'm sure I'll end up sounding like a jerk but do you even know what your talking about? I don't know jack about any of this either but from watching you two blab I'd say LaC probably knows way more about this then you. He has programed an n64 emulator and pretty much know's what he's talking about. I don't know if your one or not but I'm sorry if I'm wrong. Besides I doubt nintendo would write a full blown emulator for a game that they already had the source code to. It would probably be much easier to just recompile it for use on the game cube.

Stezo2k

S-2K
anyone knows how to get this to work on ultraHLE? :n64:

got it to work though :happy:

Last edited:

Stezo2k

S-2K
by the looks of the NFO, it looks like its took off a PAL Gc disc (due to it being Pal@60hz) here is the nfo anyway... and yes the rom is real :D

Tora

3V1L N3K0 D00D <|>_<|>
u kno from playin this i just noticed somethin...link like never sleeps except at the beginin of the game o_O ^^;

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Zuzma said:
I'm sure I'll end up sounding like a jerk but do you even know what your talking about? I don't know jack about any of this either but from watching you two blab I'd say LaC probably knows way more about this then you. He has programed an n64 emulator and pretty much know's what he's talking about. I don't know if your one or not but I'm sorry if I'm wrong. Besides I doubt nintendo would write a full blown emulator for a game that they already had the source code to. It would probably be much easier to just recompile it for use on the game cube.

Thanks muchly, I really appreciate it.

For one thing, he keeps insisting it'd be impossible to fit the 32MB ROM into GameCube's 24MB RAM, but I'm trying to get through to him that the 'cube has 40MB, not 24... 16MB of that is slow, though, at only 81MB/sec. If that is equal to or greater than the N64's cartridge slot bandwidth, then there's no space problem at all.

And... emulation happens ALL THE TIME in remakes.

Take Final Fantasy Anthologies, for example. Put it in your PC, open ZSNES, go into the CD drive... bang, SNES ROM on the CD. Square coded all their remakes using custom emulators, even the brand new Final Fantasy Origins - it uses a custom WonderSwan Colour emulator.

CAPCOM also used emulation of some sort to put Megaman X3 from the SNES onto the Saturn.

The SEGA MegaCollection for GameCube? All emulated.

Phantasy Star Collection for Saturn? Emulated.

Do you see where I'm going with this? Just because you have the source code, doesn't mean you're definitely going to go all-out and re-compile your game for the other system.

Added: By the way, I concede that LaC knows one hell of a lot more about N64 emulation than I do, but I'd put money down that I know more about GCN's architecture and classic-system remakes than he does. :flowers:

Stezo2k:

by the looks of the NFO, it looks like its took off a PAL Gc disc (due to it being Pal@60hz) here is the nfo anyway... and yes the rom is real

Nothing in the nfo file says that it was ripped from a GCN disc... the closest thing it says to how they got it is:

Special thanks to the nice guys at Nintendo for this great gift !!!

Which would imply to me that someone at N leaked it (gave the emuscene a gift?).

They aren't sure about the video mode, whether it's PAL60 or what; they say "PROBABLY" PAL60, which is more or less totally identical to NTSC, so it's entirely possible.

Last edited:

Stezo2k

S-2K
yeah, nice oppinion, i almost totally agree but i still recon it was took from a GC, leaked before it went on the GC disc, i mean look its 60hz PAL, the N64 couldnt do that. I doubt Nintendo would leak this rom, i mean they are selling it with the new GC zelda

LD.

*poke*
More like giving it away ;)

The free OOT/MQ disc is just a limited time thing, isn't it? Because if it is, then I might just have to buy Zelda before I get a Gamecube. Which... would... be really messed up:blink:

Zuzma

Well if it was ripped from the disk i'm sure we'd be seeing lots of gamecube isos poping up even if there was no way to play them and I don't see any.

zorbid

Emulation was the way to go to port the games from the 16 bit era, because all the games were written in ASM.

Sony changed the way console games are coded by releasing a full C dev kit which allowed easier and faster coding (it's one of the reason, with it's price that made the PS1 more succesfull than the Saturn, it was way easier to code it at the launch date. The saturn had to be coded in ASM, the C dev kit came later).

AFAIK, the N64 games have been written in a hi level laguage too.
You can't exclude a real port, to me it sounds like a better option than writing an emulator... Porting their N64 graphic and audio librairies, then compiling the source...

Last edited: