PDA

View Full Version : Rice's Daedalus Plugin 4.5.0

Rice
March 22nd, 2003, 05:44
Congratulation for emutalk to come back. I love emutalk, so I donated to support it. I am working hard to make the new release. It should be quite good over the last version as many many problems are fixed.

What's new:
Rice Daedalus 4.5.0 Plugin Readme
=================================

A lot of problems have been fixed for a lot of games.
A lot of new features of graphic enhancement.

What's new:

1. Graphics enhancement
* 2xSaI
* 2x (double texture size)
* Sharpen filter
* option to apply 2xSaI or 2x for small texture only and/or for textrect only
* option to apply 2xSaI or 2x with smooth filter
* option to force bilinear filter

2. Speed up
* Speed up in DirectX color combiners
* More faster texture loading
* Many code rewritting and rearrangement to speed up

3. Lot of texture problem fixes.
* Textures are not bluring anymore
* Support YUV texture format
* IA4 texture loading bug fix (Zelda tree)
* Irregular texture format supporting

4. Game issue fixes
F-Zero menu
Madden NFL games: field gfx errores are fixed.
FIFA soccer games, I.S.S._64: field gfx
Nascar2000: wall
NFL quarterback 98, working great
All star baseball games, 99/2000/2001, all fixed
Fix pilotwing blackblock problem.
Cruise USA - road
Rayman 2 with OpenGL
Bust 'A' Move games
Army Men - Air Combat: combiner
Centre_Court_Tennis: crashes
Glover: texture
Harvest_Moon_64: texture
Mortal_Kombat_4: triangle culling
PaperMario: texture
Silicon_Valley: combiner
Spider-Man: texture

As I tested, many other games are also improved a lot as so many issues are fixed.

5. Combiner fixes
* Low end DirectX combiner is fixed, working again now
6. Alpha blender fix
7. OpenGL
* Decal rectangle (shadows in Mario, road in zelda)
* Primary depth for textrect

New shots can be seen at Shots (http://www.emutalk.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12725)

Rice

loay
March 22nd, 2003, 05:51
you are cool:1964:

Slougi
March 22nd, 2003, 09:18
Originally posted by loay
you are cool:1964:
:happy:

Do you have any plans for a possible Linux port? I think Blight would be happy to take a look at that if you want :) You would help us free ourselves from the eeeevil microsoft ;)

JonasP
March 22nd, 2003, 09:51
Great work! This plugin is shaping up really well...

I saw among your screenshots a playable Dr. Mario 64, but for me the falling pills are still invisible with the new version. Are there some special settings required for it to work?

/Jonas

Martin
March 22nd, 2003, 12:49
This is excellent news, Rice. I'll post this at Emu64. Btw, sweet screenshots. :)

Plisco
March 22nd, 2003, 13:51
Another great release Rice.:1964:

Congratulation for emutalk to come back. I love emutalk
Who does'nt:emutalk:

Rice
March 22nd, 2003, 13:53
Originally posted by JonasP
Great work! This plugin is shaping up really well...

I saw among your screenshots a playable Dr. Mario 64, but for me the falling pills are still invisible with the new version. Are there some special settings required for it to work?

/Jonas

You can use "Copy & back" in the "N64 frame buffer emulation", but the falling pills is still flashing. To be effectively playable, you need to wait for the new version of 1964.

Holistic
March 22nd, 2003, 14:44
A new wonderfull graphics plugin from Rice .... looks just darn great :D

Clements
March 22nd, 2003, 15:29
No more shadow in Pilotwings!
Significant improvement in MK4!
F-Zero menus improved!
Yoshi's Story is playable (although some sprites are twice the size they should be!)
Donkey Kong 64 works!

The list of improvements is endless! A landmark release!

scotty
March 22nd, 2003, 16:33
The plugin looks good so far to me. However I dont know why the Plugin is doing this, but it says that it fails to detect my DX8 settings. I find it weird taht I never had this problem with my DirectX 8.1b before with the others. The speed is a little slow on some ROMS with Open GL, but as I said the quality is really good.

SyTEST
March 22nd, 2003, 17:12
bravo pour ce nouveau plugin

madfredtk
March 22nd, 2003, 17:28
Clements, could you explain the way you configurated the plugin to get Yoshi's Story to work because, while in game, the graphics are all messed up. Very great plugin though, especially for Pilotwings.:1964:

Clements
March 22nd, 2003, 17:35
Certainly:

Clements
March 22nd, 2003, 17:35
Gives me:

Clements
March 22nd, 2003, 17:37
I don't believe it worked at all well before.

gokuss4
March 22nd, 2003, 19:30
could you imagine though what kind of work that Rice and Orkin can do if they join?! i sound like a n00b, but it's just a thought :blush:

NeoShaggy
March 22nd, 2003, 23:09
This is the best I can get with the DirectX combiner:

NeoShaggy
March 22nd, 2003, 23:10
And this with the OpenGL combiner:

NeoShaggy
March 22nd, 2003, 23:12
My specs are very low, but still I get much better results with other directX plugins.

My specs:
Pentium III 800MHz
128 MB RAM
Intel 82815 graphics controller

Rice
March 22nd, 2003, 23:23
Originally posted by NeoShaggy
My specs are very low, but still I get much better results with other directX plugins.

My specs:
Pentium III 800MHz
128 MB RAM
Intel 82815 graphics controller

Try to use the low end DirectX combiner and 32bit color depth of your video card.

NeoShaggy
March 22nd, 2003, 23:33
Originally posted by Rice
Try to use the low end DirectX combiner and 32bit color depth of your video card.

Unfortunately, my card doesn´t support 32 bit color.

But thanks anyway Rice.

Rice
March 22nd, 2003, 23:42

But thanks anyway Rice.

That's the problem. The plugin pretty much does not support 16 bit color depth. It is amazing that opengl can still work, (opengl driver must convert 32bit to 16bit), as I am using 32bit color in opengl.

Doomulation
March 22nd, 2003, 23:51
Sorry to bug you, rice. There's still major problems. OpenGL doesn't look too nice and directx is completly screwed up.
Even mario is screwed.

NeoShaggy
March 22nd, 2003, 23:52
Thanks for your help, Now I have to start saving for a GF4.

Trotterwatch
March 22nd, 2003, 23:58
This plugin is incredible, it is the first time I have had the pleasure of trying one of your recent plugins on a GeForce card. I can safely say I am very happy about it.

Every supported game I have tried works great, the texture sharpening feature in particular is remarkable.

Sorry to bug you, rice. There's still major problems. OpenGL doesn't look too nice and directx is completly screwed up.
Even mario is screwed.

Doom, ensure for DX you are using the TNT/Geforce combine mode. Try doing the same for OpenGL as well.

Clements
March 23rd, 2003, 00:00
Originally posted by Doomulation
Even mario is screwed.

Not for me... I don't get many probs at all.

Rice
March 23rd, 2003, 01:10
Even mario is screwed.

Doom, I don't know if you have ever tried it. You have got a very good Geforce4 Ti 420 card, the plugin should work great for you.

Just remember not to use default "Geforce/TNT combiner" for DirectX because the combiner is for TNT/Geforce2, but to use the "High end combiner". Your video card is too good, it has 8 texture units, Nvidia does not need to support their perticular DirectX combiner API (supporting only 2 texture units) for your video card, they start to use the standard DirectX API for it.

I don't have so good a video card like yours, but the default nvidia opengl combiner should work just fine for you. (unless I am wrong that Nvidia does not support their famous OGL extension anymore for geforce4, and I don't believe so.)

Rice
March 23rd, 2003, 01:51

But thanks anyway Rice.

NeoShaggy, check the 4.5.0a fix (http://www.emutalk.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12739) out.

Rice
March 23rd, 2003, 01:55
Originally posted by Clements
Not for me... I don't get many probs at all.

Btw, Clement, you can uncheck the option "emulator toolbar" if using project64, to save the black space on the top of the graphics. You know what I mean.

Clements
March 23rd, 2003, 02:00
Thanks a lot Rice!

Clements
March 23rd, 2003, 02:15
I can't seem to go fullscreen in Open GL mode, which is better for my system than the Direct X mode (which can go fullscreen) Is it just my comp or is there a setting I need to change? I have it on:

LD.
March 23rd, 2003, 02:29
Wow... this is really nice. And the shots look great.

Thanks a lot :)

Rice
March 23rd, 2003, 02:34
Originally posted by Clements
I can't seem to go fullscreen in Open GL mode, which is better for my system than the Direct X mode (which can go fullscreen) Is it just my comp or is there a setting I need to change? I have it on:

It is not supported. It does not go fullscreen for me even in DirectX.

Waan2k
March 23rd, 2003, 03:38
Rice could you try and add full screen AA option to the next release and try and get opengl to go full screen :)

cheers

Waan2k :D

pj64er
March 23rd, 2003, 03:54
Awesome plugin Rice! Ive noticed that in the later few versions of the plugin, there seems to be more and more options...but with no document to explain em :doh: If you dont want to waste time making a nice little readme, please give a short explaination here...if you dont wanna do that an 'optimal settings' will do. thx again, Rice. :)

scotty
March 23rd, 2003, 03:55
Originally posted by Waan2k
Rice could you try and add full screen AA option to the next release and try and get opengl to go full screen :)

cheers

Waan2k :D

I never understand why Fullscreen is so important to everyone. I admit it is like playing your N64, but I think that having a window at the top is enoughfor me. You can make N64 emulation like the real thing, but itll never be 100% the same. I think that quality of colour is important, and to have a fast video plaugin. That is really the most important parts of emulation, and this plugin does that good

Clements
March 23rd, 2003, 04:00
Originally posted by pj64er
Awesome plugin Rice! Ive noticed that in the later few versions of the plugin, there seems to be more and more options...but with no document to explain em :doh: If you dont want to waste time making a nice little readme, please give a short explaination here...if you dont wanna do that an 'optimal settings' will do. thx again, Rice. :)

I agree! How about a feature like in Pete's Graphics plugins for PSX emulators where you can select 'Nice' and it automatically sets the options to the most accurate settings, and 'Fast' to boost performance. Might not be easy to adapt, as you have combined Open GL and Direct X into one plugin... but might be worth considering. :)

Waan2k
March 23rd, 2003, 04:02
I agree with you scotty, but to really enjoy n64 emulation you need fullscreen. Especily if your running tv out like myself :P.

jacky400
March 23rd, 2003, 08:44
I tried the 4.5.0 version and use the directx ,swithc to the full screen will make the computer restart .But in 4.4.0 version ,it is no problem at all

samura
March 23rd, 2003, 09:46
It's superb!!!!:1964: :1964:

OminaeYu
March 23rd, 2003, 09:48
Hey Rice I'm trying to get your plugin to use OpenGL with the Geforce or better option and it keeps saying that the my system doesn't support the Nvidia OpenGL combiner how can that be when I have a Geforce3 Ti 200.

Its the same for all OpenGl modes I try I keep getting the same error.

Rice
March 23rd, 2003, 15:09
Check your driver, or just install new nvidia driver.

grand master
March 24th, 2003, 03:21
Hey Rice Great release. I reckon pretty soon your plugin will out do the legendary plugin of jabo's.
Only have one problem and that is that the plugin restarts my computer when ever the title screen of yoshi story is about to go on. The nintendo logo shows up (HUGE btw) and then restarts my comp. This has never ever happened to me on my comp using plugins, so im guessing its the plugin.

Oh whats this i read of a new 1964 :)

Keep up the great work!!

oops almost made a rookie mistake..
my specs r
p111 877mhz 256 ram win xp gf2mx400

Rice
March 24th, 2003, 06:07
It happens to me, too, and also when I try to switch to full screen with DirectX. Both of us get GF2 MX400. It does not happen at my laptop. I will track down the problem. No problem with opengl, though.

jacky400
March 24th, 2003, 08:19
aS TITLE

euphoria
March 24th, 2003, 09:39
Hey rice. heres me again nagging about matrox compatability. :)
Thank god this is not my home comps gfx card only work.
4 screenshots to follow:
This is DX with "To fit your video card" which is kinda screwed up.

euphoria
March 24th, 2003, 09:42
And this is DX forced to high end video. this works best for me by far as you can see below...

Doomulation
March 24th, 2003, 09:43
Well, I've tried using the best combiner. I'll try the others later, too.
But I'm thinking that it can be a driver problem? Has anyone tried with the 42.03 (i think that was the version?) drivers?

euphoria
March 24th, 2003, 09:45
And here's OpenGL 1.1.

Bandit82
March 24th, 2003, 12:15
On my Radeon 9700, i have many many errors ; in Super Mario 64 tragedy, in Zelda black screen - don't work !
I don't have GeForce card, and i don't won't it.

What are the best setting for Radeon 9700 ? OpenGL or D3D ?
You can repair problem in Mario ?

Sorry for my english.

System ; 1.8+, Radeon 9700 ( Cat 3.2 ), DX9, Win XP SP1.
:)

ceedj
March 24th, 2003, 13:01
Well, I've tried using the best combiner. I'll try the others later, too.
But I'm thinking that it can be a driver problem? Has anyone tried with the 42.03 (i think that was the version?) drivers?

Doom,

The latest Detonators are 41.09. They seem to be pretty good, except they really dumbed down the control panel.

Here's some updated tests:

Brunswick Pro Bowling - The graphics went backwards on this one. The video buffer doesn't seem to clear itself.

Super Smash Bros. - Various texture problems with a few characters and menu's.

Mario Golf (E) - Getting better, but still a black screen when you're lining up your shot. Jabo's 1.4 dx7 is still best for this.

All THQ/AKI wrestling games/ WCW Mayhem look FABULOUS. I've noticed some of the background textures are a bit wierd now (horizontal lines throughout), but the gameplay is fantastic.

Zelda 2 MM - Excellent, as far as I can tell. I don't play it much, but what I did play was good.

Crusin' Exotica - Various texture problems (road/cars)

Yoshi's Story - The same texture/sprite problems mentioned earlier, although I'm NOT crashing out on fullscreen. Not sure if this was a separate issue or not, but my fullscreen is working fine.

I am STILL getting way better gameplay with DX vs. Open GL. I'm not talking a few frames, I mean at least a 1/4 speed better on the DX setting. It's prolly my el-cheapo CompUSA MX200, so I'm looking for a GF4 ti soon. With all that's been said, this is a fine plug-in, and once again, fabulous job Rice.

Rice
March 24th, 2003, 14:34
Originally posted by Bandit82
On my Radeon 9700, i have many many errors ; in Super Mario 64 tragedy, in Zelda black screen - don't work !
:)

Bandit82, there were a few posts regarding Radeons for version 4.4.0, check it out yourself. Other guys seem to have very good result in both DirectX and OpenGL.

Rice
March 24th, 2003, 14:39
Originally posted by ceedj
Doom,
Brunswick Pro Bowling - The graphics went backwards on this one. The video buffer doesn't seem to clear itself.

Super Smash Bros. - Various texture problems with a few characters and menu's.

Mario Golf (E) - Getting better, but still a black screen when you're lining up your shot. Jabo's 1.4 dx7 is still best for this.

Crusin' Exotica - Various texture problems (road/cars)

Yoshi's Story - The same texture/sprite problems mentioned earlier, although I'm NOT crashing out on fullscreen. Not sure if this was a separate issue or not, but my fullscreen is working fine.

Brunswick problem is regarding depth buffer, the problem also happens to many other games, it's one of the biggest issues to fix.
Mario gold problem is regarding Framebuffer emulation. You can work it around by using other N64 frame buffer emulation option, or just wait for the next release, as the frame buffer is not emulated good enough in the current release. Problems of other two games are all related to 2D sprites rendering, they are low priority issues as not many people care 2D sprites per my polling.

Ly Ter
March 24th, 2003, 15:47
I have a Radeon card and I read somewhere that I need to d/l 3d analyze or somthing to get rice's plugin to work. Can som1 explain to me how to use that program? The help file that came with it is like in a different language, literally. Thanks for any input.

Trotterwatch
March 24th, 2003, 16:56
Start 3D Analyse

Top left of the screen under DLL Path click select and navigate to the folder that has the emulator in double click the exe file of the emulator

One option below that is the EXE path, once again navigate to the folder and double click the EXE file

Now to the right under Hardware limits (cap bits) enable HW T&L Caps, now simply go to run and the emulator will start as normal.

You can save a batch file once you have done all this to automate the process in future, the option for this is at the bottom of the screens. If you need any further help feel free to PM me.

leizar
March 24th, 2003, 17:10
I've got a more serious problem.
When I load a rom with 1964 and Rice's plugin 4.5.0 as soon as the games starts the emu GUI and everything else (except for the game) is like frozen: it as a very low refresh rate (for example if I have to go to fullscreen, it takes some secs before anything appens, and the rom takes ages to stop.
Except for this th game( and the plugin as well) works perfactly and is completly playble (Everything drawn by the plugin is ok)
ow can I solve this problem? It only appens with this plugin

Rice
March 24th, 2003, 18:17
Originally posted by leizar
I've got a more serious problem.
When I load a rom with 1964 and Rice's plugin 4.5.0 as soon as the games starts the emu GUI and everything else (except for the game) is like frozen: it as a very low refresh rate (for example if I have to go to fullscreen, it takes some secs before anything appens, and the rom takes ages to stop.
Except for this th game( and the plugin as well) works perfactly and is completly playble (Everything drawn by the plugin is ok)
ow can I solve this problem? It only appens with this plugin

OS? computer config? DirectX or OpenGL? I guess you are using Win 98, and your computer config is low, then the emulator and plugin are using all the CPU power.

Ly Ter
March 24th, 2003, 18:31
Thanks Trotterwatch. That was simplier than I thought.

leizar
March 24th, 2003, 18:46
Yeah, I'm using win98 with an Athlon 550 MHz, but I can play everythin else perfectly and this only appens when using 1964 and Rice's plugin.
It doesn't appen with Pj64 an neither with any other plugin.
I've tried any possible conficuration with no results.
What can I do?
Please I need help. These are the best emu (1964) and the best video plugin (rice's one). I need to use them but this waty I can't

Doomulation
March 25th, 2003, 13:32
Originally posted by ceedj
Doom,

The latest Detonators are 41.09. They seem to be pretty good, except they really dumbed down the control panel.
When I checked then, they had the 42.03 drivers up. They're not up there now, though, i see...
But the fact is that they works perfecly everywhere but with rice's plugin :plain:

nephalim
March 28th, 2003, 02:47
When I try to play Zelda Majora's Mask, the game runs but the screen flashes on and off like a strobe light. Is this a problem with my video card? OpenGL works, sort of, but it crawls. Only one of the combiner settings (can't remember which off the top of my head) works close to correct.

Looks like a great plugin, too bad my video card is so crappy (ATI Mobility M4, Rage 128 chipset.)

sirscott
March 28th, 2003, 06:52
any hope to fix that blinking in gauntlet ? a hack or something would be nice . sounds ok using Azimers Audio v0.40Beta2 and project64 . KO2000 looking nice too i set counter speed to 5 in 1964 with default sound plungin any other speed makes every thing off center . games almost perfect but some stats . gauntlet would be great if that blinking thing where fixed , but anyway you got a great plugin there soon to be best vid the way your going .:1964:

Doomulation
March 28th, 2003, 11:43
Did you try smart screen update? The option is there to prevent flickering in games.

sirscott
March 28th, 2003, 23:00
yes tryed that . it takes spells where it dont blink fer a second or 2 but dont lastin DX or OpenGL to . a few OpenGL vid versions back it didnt blink but had missing stuff like posions and keys . but this still the best plugin for gauntlet .

Compaq presario
AMD ATHon 1.53 ghz
GEforce2

NeTo
March 30th, 2003, 04:23
Great plugi Rice! Here are some issues i have found

1. In some rooms, there is flickering, Mario appears black, and the fps go down to 20.

2. The only combiner that looks good with the game is the TnT/Geforce combiner. With the rest there are some problems (foe example backgroungs appear black).

3. I have tried sharpen and 2xsai and they work great. The only problem is when i go to the menu, fps drop a lot.

That's alll.

PS:for those complaining on Fullscreen, it doen't seem that nessesary. Just set the plugin to the same resolution you have, and the emu window will fit the whole screen. At least in my geforce2 there are not speed differences when switching to as high as 1152x864

leizar
March 30th, 2003, 10:10
Mybe that you can run roms at any resolution you want, but with my video card increasing resolution and running games in a window decrease speed.
I think I'm not the only one

leizar
March 30th, 2003, 10:21
It's me again

I noticed that when I run a game in fullscreen cursor does not disappear.
Is it as it should or is it an error?

ocarina plyr
March 30th, 2003, 13:30
There are some texture problems with
Neon Genesis Evangelion 64:
1. The Textures are BIG.
2. Some images are small.
3. Some are not shown.
4. Some images are not correctly placed, or mirrored.

I want to foresee a solution to this problem as this is
a great game, and i see that your plugin has potential
to be better than jabo's(Which also has problems with this game)good luck on debbugging it!!

[My Rig]
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 98 (4.10, Build 2222) A
Processor: AMD Duron(tm) Processor, MMX, 3DNow, ~700MHz
Memory: 192MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 8.1 (4.08.01.0881)
DxDiag Version: 4.08.01.0881 32bit
Hard drive: 40 Gb
Video Card: Nvidia Riva TNT2/M64 32mb

ocarina plyr
March 30th, 2003, 13:51
There are some texture problems with
1. The Textures are BIG.
3. Some are not shown.

to be better than jabo's(Which also has problems with this game)good luck on debbugging it!!

[My Rig]
Video Card: Nvidia Riva TNT2/M64 32mb

ocarina plyr
March 30th, 2003, 13:58
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ocarina plyr
[B]There are some texture problems with
1. The Textures are BIG.
3. Some are not shown.

[My Rig]

Oh yeah....... Open GL doesnt work(My drivers maybe?)
it just shows nothing, and the main menu is colored boxes...

leizar
March 30th, 2003, 15:08
Did you really need to post twice the same thing and a third time again just to add a short PS?

Doomulation
March 30th, 2003, 20:35
Do note that fullscreen is also faster than windowed mode.

NeTo
March 31st, 2003, 04:14
Mybe that you can run roms at any resolution you want, but with my video card increasing resolution and running games in a window decrease speed.

Well, there are a lot of cases that need fullscreen. Althought Running the emu in a lower desktop resolution should fix that, it may be ugly (specially for the desktop icons).

PS: Hey Doomulation, I tried the Paper Mario Flickering fix that appears in your signature, and it doen't work for me. The rooms that don't look well with Rice's plugin flicker a lot with Glide.

Doomulation
March 31st, 2003, 10:08
Originally posted by NeTo
PS: Hey Doomulation, I tried the Paper Mario Flickering fix that appears in your signature, and it doen't work for me. The rooms that don't look well with Rice's plugin flicker a lot with Glide.
Well that's odd because it works perfect for me and for others as well.
Ummm :doh: make *sure* the swapping buffer is set right....i must take a leave now...

NeTo
April 1st, 2003, 05:08
Well, anyway, it only happens in a few rooms, especially in Dry Dry Ruins (where the game is almost unplayable using Rice's plugin).

Doomulation
April 1st, 2003, 13:31
Why didn't you mention that it happend only in some places in the first place? Gonetz knowns it isn't perfect.
You could tell him where the issues occour and try to send him a native save. That way he can fix it.

sk8bloke22
April 2nd, 2003, 03:10
at last ive got ur newest plugin (and nemu) and i must say im very impressed. not only is one of the most compatible plugins out there, its easy to use and seems so far to be very error free (unlike the older versions - i mean much older cos i havnt tested ur plugin for months). also its easy to use, i.e not too many confusing options. the gfx quality is top notch and i think 2xsai does make a difference, even if it is only noticeable in 2d games. .:1964: