What's new

upgrading

LinkTheHero

Princeofpersia
hi im thinking of buying 1gb of ram and a gigabyte 256mb pci-e Geforce 6600Gt SLI with gigabyte ga-k8ns pro nforce 3 skt 754 lan raid ieee and amd athlon 3400 64bit cpu is this good:bouncy:

mix

...yes. *sniff*. I wish my computer was better. That's a HUGE upgrade from your current rig, you'll be very happy.

OP
LinkTheHero

LinkTheHero

Princeofpersia
thanks i just wait for more people to post if they think its a good move or get something else

xneoangel

Persona User
Hmm its a good choice but if you want something for the long term you should get a socket 939 MoBo and CPU because socket 754 wont last long.

mix said:
...yes. *sniff*. I wish my computer was better. That's a HUGE upgrade from your current rig, you'll be very happy.

why do you complain? you have a pretty good PC in there

Last edited:

mix

xneoangel said:
why do you complain? you have a pretty good PC in there

Because, whatever I do I can't get it to play UT2k4 at good speeds. Even though several benchmarks on the internet say that I should be getting over 100FPS. Ut2k4 is my favorite game.

smcd

I get around 40 - 50 fps @ 800x600 max detail in ut2004 on my machine (Specs in profile) except on onslaught maps, they drop it to around 30 i think.

dukenukem

lord freiza
Dude you do now you cannot use a pci express video card on that mobo since it's agp.depending on where you are ordering i would say instead get a 3500+ venice,939 mono and which ever 6600gt you want,should be around the same price depending on what mobo you choose.

Clements

LinkTheHero said:
hi im thinking of buying 1gb of ram and a gigabyte 256mb pci-e Geforce 6600Gt SLI with gigabyte ga-k8ns pro nforce 3 skt 754 lan raid ieee and amd athlon 3400 64bit cpu is this good:bouncy:

You cannot use a PCI-E graphics card with that motherboard since it only has an AGP slot. Buy a S939 board.

arnalion

Nintendo Fan
Buying 6600GT in SLI is waste of cash. 2 6600GT can't beat one singel 6800GT and it's cheaper with a 6800GT. Don't buy socket 754 it's cheaper than 939 but you get better preformence with socket 939 (and they are still releasing cpu's for 939, and you can use dual channel). Instead of buying a Nvidia Geforce 6600GT can you buy an Ati Radeon x800GT, the price are the same but x800GT is slightly better. I can also recommend Ati Radeon x800GTO.

OP
LinkTheHero

LinkTheHero

Princeofpersia
ok thanks for telling me about my mobo em can someone give links to really good mobo that surrport althon 64 bit prosesors and pci cards

arnalion

Nintendo Fan
All DFI Lanparty mobos are really good. DFI are on of the manufacturers that makes the best overclocking mobos.

Clements

Do you come from the UK? If so, you can get a Retail 3500+ Venice for £160.92 at Overclockers.co.uk, so that's over £100 cheaper.

fayevalintine

Love and peace
Can you tell me there tell me is upgrading to the 6800 ultra a good idea? Its only temporary for 6months. I have to get the agp ver becase my mobo only supports agp.

Clements

If you can get it cheap, then it's good. If you can find the 6800GT significantly cheaper, then it's a better deal.