What's new

SSF 0.7 Beta Released!

K2nsl3r

Good advise on how to get rid of the japanese, frank beard!
Unfortunately, I placed a bios file as "boot.rom" in the main folder, but
still the damn thing crashes immediately, and still asks for a bios file... Let me get this straight: you simply renamed the file "boot" and the extension ".rom"? Doesn't seem to work for me.

frank beard

That is correct I did name the bios boot.rom. I'm not certain that it is critical, though after messing with it yesterday that is what got it to work. Today after work I clicked the executable like I did perhaps 50-60 times last night testing games and it did the same crashing thing. I deleted both of the ini files (SSF.ini and Saturn ini) and I was able to start again with no problem. I'm running CD-R's straight from the DVD drive and I get full speed games for everything I have tried so far. It is easy to use my cordless Logitech gamepads (both Cordless Rumble 2 and Cordless Wingman work with no problem). I've got an AMD 64 3200+ and am running XP SP1 (just normal US version). It'll be a pain if it's necessary to delete the ini files, reset the system date/clock and configure the controllers everyday but it's a small price to pay to play all of these games I have heard so much about but never had the chance to play. Maybe deleting the ini's will work for you as well.

K2nsl3r

... but it's a small price to pay to play all of these games I have heard so much about but never had the chance to play.

I would like that to be true for myself too. :(

I gotta go now, but I tried deleting the ini file (I don't even get any saturn.ini file, btw) with no luck. Will try again later, but I don't know what else to try.

Lord Darkstorm

Great sage, equal of heaven
frank beard said:
I've just tried SSF for the first time a few hours ago and I also had the same error with the bios and the rapidly appear send error window. I got around it by naming the bios boot.rom and simply placing it in the same directory as the exe. Regarding the Japanese messages this is easy to change by simply opening the file named default (no extension) in the Message directory with notepad and deleting Japanese, save and exit.

As to your first suggestion, unfortuntely, it doesn't seem to work for me.
As to your second one, that's not what I was talking about. A message posted on the SSF messageboard stated that SSF now only works on japanese OS, so I was trying a few things to try and make them compatible.
To little success.

Last edited:

Borisz

I don't think its now Japanese-only, considering that the people posting at the ssf messageboard experience the same problems and some people here got it working (and that the author never mentioned that its jap-only, AND that issues regarding the os language were raised in the past too).

frank beard

I've never messed around with SSF until two days ago. I downloaded the newest version SSF 0.7 Beta and had the same load bios in Jap message. I then deleted Japanese from the Default file in the Message folder. The error messages were then in English. I changed the bios to boot.rom and was able to select it after hitting ok in the PLease set up bios message. Yesterday and today the exe no longer worked and after deleting the two ini files I was again able to select the bios and everything works. For now it looks like I will have to do this everyday. I imagine there is an easy fix to this but I don't what it is. Today before deleting the two ini files I got nothing not even the set up bios message. After deleting the ini's I got the message and the send don't send error followed by crash (couldn't hit send or ok it just shut down). I tried it a second time and as soon as set up bios came on I hit OK got the window to browse for the bios selected boot.rom and then the send don't send crash error came up. Third time I did it it everything worked maybe I just went faster than the crash message I don't know but it definitely works again now. I am NOT using a Japanese OS the source of my copy of XP is from an e-machine bought at a Best Buy in Raleigh NC in 2002. I've now completely rebuilt my system and have motherboard swapped (through repair console) but am still using the same copy of XP Home Edition SP1.

Another idea that might work is to paste the following into a file called SSF.ini and simply remove the 1's at either end (I put that there because I am unsure if all the spaces following the text are required) obviously you would want to change the pathway to where your bios is at as well. Note there are apparently more characters that can be copied than actually appear here but it seems to match everything in my ini. When I tested this it didn't work but the bios message was gone so maybe someone can figure out how to set it in there own ini.

1 \                  @d  K  –  Õ                         

I:\games\Sega Saturn\boot.rom 1

Last edited:

ptitrun

Lord Darkstorm Have you got Daemon tool V4 ?

if you have, try to close it, it works now for me (I had exactly the same problem as you)

Lord Darkstorm

Great sage, equal of heaven
I assume you mean just turn it off, not uninstall it? If so, unfortunately, that too does not work for me. :(

rcgamer

the old guy
to you guys who cant get it to work. keep deleting the ini files it creates when you turn it on. eventually it will work. ive had to do it like 8 times in a row before i got it working before. seems to be a random bug. BTW you dont need to rename the bios.

Last edited:

K2nsl3r

Oh man! Now this system kicks a**! It really took me like 15 tries before it worked, but now I can press X and restart it and it still works (maybe only for next windows reboot, but I'll keep my fingers crossed)... Once I made some further changes in options, and it crashed upon start-up, so I had to kill those two ini files, but that aside, it's working wonderfully!

In fact, ALL of my games have worked on the emulator! (I'll post screenshots later)

The only problems I've encountered were in Fighters Megamix, where there was no sound, and major line-tracing occured in-game. Mind you, even this was still playable.

More importantly, I could play games like Nights, Sega Rally, Panzer Dragoon and Shining Force 3 virtually without any problems!

This is really quite a wonderful emulator: kudos to the guys behind it, and I hope some of the bugs can be exterminated in the future.

rcgamer

the old guy
just wanted to add that I seem to be getting the best results by converting my images to mds/mdf. if you have alcohol 120% i would highly recommend doing this. also instead of having the cue iso and all the mp3's you just have two files. it doesnt seem to like bin/cue files or nrg.