What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

Small question

Datadayne

Super Mario 64 speaking more specifically. Textures are very easy to understand where they came from. And textures are all right side up (ex.some games dump the textures upside down).

Only thing with Super Mario 64 is that you will be working with plenty of seamless textures. If your pretty new to texturing, you will find it hard to fix tilling issues. But enough of that, I dont want to confuse you. Super mario 64 is my choice, its how I began.

EDIT*, wow, its been a long while since I last visited emutalk, and this post marks my 500th post.

Datadayne

Oh boy. nothing like encouraging people to do games that have already been done to death.

Well what do you think is better to learn with? It doesnt necessarily mean that he will be retexturing this game. Besides, there is no complete Sm64 pack yet, Risio's pack is nearing completion and I believe that would be the first sm64 pack ever completed, and second texture pack ever completed next to djipi's oot pack.

I believe the reason why sm64 and oot has been done lots of times is because its one of the easier games to retexture and a lot of people have played these games already, so that makes it even easier.

mode7

Oh boy. nothing like encouraging people to do games that have already been done to death.

As he is still learning and does not seem to have much experience with textures he probably won't make a complete retexture of a game anyway.

SM64 is a good choice. Easy textures, no upside down stuff, no ci.
Another choice would be banjo & kazooie - this one is also quite easy.

Heh. I guess by how everyone got so uber defensive that that means i'm about the only one who's quite tired of seeing people trying no games other than mario or zelda.

Variety can be good.

zturner972

EmuTalk Member
Heh. I guess by how everyone got so uber defensive that that means i'm about the only one who's quite tired of seeing people trying no games other than mario or zelda.

Variety can be good.

If you feel so strong about other games getting done, do one.

gitech

N64 Artist
As he is still learning and does not seem to have much experience with textures he probably won't make a complete retexture of a game anyway.

SM64 is a good choice. Easy textures, no upside down stuff, no ci.
Another choice would be banjo & kazooie - this one is also quite easy.

Hi guys, what is "ci" anyway? LOD has HARD textures and are all upside down. You never know how a texture will behave in game till you investigate it. With the potential to be used in the game either tiled, mirrored, rotated in groups (of four for example), groups mirrored, tiled to other textures on 1,2,3 or all 4 sides, partially hidden, mostly hidden, dropped into the middle of another texture, or be cut up and used many different ways in many different places and more! Not to even mention the characters!!! :teehee: :blink:

But it's fun!

Well what do you think is better to learn with? It doesnt necessarily mean that he will be retexturing this game. Besides, there is no complete Sm64 pack yet, Risio's pack is nearing completion and I believe that would be the first sm64 pack ever completed, and second texture pack ever completed next to djipi's oot pack.

I believe the reason why sm64 and oot has been done lots of times is because its one of the easier games to retexture and a lot of people have played these games already, so that makes it even easier.

Castlevania LOD will be the next! :cheers:

Variety can be good.

I agree with both sides. People should start with the basics but shouldn't be hesitant to dive in and challenge themselves. Check out my thread for how and when I started and my progress so far. I hope it will encourage you.

Last edited:

mode7

Variety can be good.

Yeah but not all N64 games are worth retexturing.
I love the N64, but when I play it it's mostly OoT, SM64, Mario Party...
I'd love to see Conkers BFD but there's a remake for Xbox, so why bother.
Expansion pack games also already have quite nice textures so that you have to be a real experienced texture Artist to actually improve the Game.
Also many Games are extremely hard to retexture. I tried Hybrid Heaven once and it was nearly imposible to figure out even what the textures supposed to be.

I personally appreciate another interesting pack for Mario or Zelda than one for a game I don't care for.

Risio

Vectrex Fanboy
It is easy to replace textures in Mario 64, but that doesn't mean it will be easy to make something look good. You need to have some sort of artistic sense in order to really make an impact with what you do.

I wouldn't be suprised to find out that folks like Djipi and Federelli are artists. I myself am an artist. You need to have a good eye for things, most importantly, color. I personally make a texture, apply it, and then see how it interacts with my other textures. If I have a certain color that is just too dull compared to another texture, I'll go back and change it. Everything has to mesh.

And it doesn't have to start out pretty. My pack started out with some very sloppy textures, but only to give me an idea of what is going where. Sort of like a rough draft or a sketch.

Personally, I'd love to see someone attack Banjo Kazooie. I would work on it, but once I finish Mario, I want to do something totally different. and BK is just too similar in style.

gitech

N64 Artist
Here are some game suggestions that haven't been done or mentioned yet in alphabetical order with my thought on difficulty to retexture and some opinions and facts:

1. Bio F.R.E.A.K.S. -(good fighting game)
2. Blast Corps -(may be hard but a great game)
3. Body Harvest -(truly, the first GTA ever. Made by the studio that made GTA 1 and 2 and the brain child of the man behind Crackdown. one of the greatest games ever as you can use over 80 different vehicles and 30+ weapons through 5 different open worlds and time periods, just a little before its time thats all, sleeper hit game of the year award! Doesn't get good till the second time period, REALLY. Great music, mood and best boss battles ever. Think open world Metroid and you will love it!)(unfortunatly, not emulated completely...yet. If you get past the bridges, you will get stuck at the windmill in the first world, is someone working on this?)
4. Command & Conquer -(hard but a classic and also on PC)
5. Forsaken 64 -(hard game play, but innovative for its time)
5. Golden Eye 007 -(May be hard but a classic)
6. Mace The Dark Ages -(great fighting game)
7. Perfect Dark -(may be hard but a great game)
8. Pilot Wings -(may be hard)
9. Rayman 2 -(may be hard)
10. Rocket Robot On Wheels -(May be easy, great game, like mario with higher tech)
11. SF Rush 2049 -(may be easy if you think you can do buildings. I liked it when it came out)
12. SF Rush Extreme Racing -(never played it, though may be just as good)
13. Sin and Punishment -(May be hard though worth it! Super game. Already an english pack for text. On wii console and SSB Brawl, a cult classic!)
14. Star Wars Episode I Battle for Naboo -(don't know, may be hard)
15. Star Wars Rogue Squadron -(Classic, may be hard but worth it if you're a fan)
16. Star Wars: Shadow of the Empire -(I loved it. Great game. may be hard)
17. Top Gear Rally -(My favorite N64 racer, amazing physics and gaming experience if you give yourself the time to learn the controls. flick the stick with steering type 2. Later cars are fast)
18. Turok Dinosaur Hunter -(needs no introduction, probably hard but definitely worth it)
19. Turok 2 Seeds of Evil -(may be hard. More linear, less classic than the first)

PS: Should I make this its own poll?

Last edited:

mode7

Hm, some of these games are not very interesting from a todays point of view.
(E.g Turok is a shooter which you only play for sentimental reasons today, cause it's boring compared to modern shooters) or just suck (Battle for Naboo).
Some of these games already have a PC-version which has higher resolution textures (graphics) like Rougue Squadron, C&C, Rayman 2.
Why bother redoing Rayman 2 when you can buy the PC version which looks much nicer for 5 bucks (Which everybody should do becaus it's awesome!).
Well some of the games I don't even know but others may be worth it like Shadows of the Empire - could look really nice (I won't do it because i'm not into realistic stuff and have enough work).
To make my point clear: There are very few games that stood the test of time and are worth retexturing - but we are getting a bit off the topic I think ;)