What's new

slow...slow...slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

snipeer

Nope, you've got it wrong.

Using TR OpenGL, it is too slow. (The one with single digit FPS.)
However, perfect graphics, as far as I can tell...

Using Glide64 v 0.1 gets good speeds (min. 47 I think...)
but I get a black screen only. (Maybe it's blank and not black?
Dunno...)
It's not supposed to work in windowed mode...But if I try and
goto full screen, I get an error box that pops up, which doesn't
say anything at all about the error itself (just is a box title "error"
and that's it...) and then PJ64 exits itself.

And with Jabo, I get crap graphics, in short. (just about non-playable.)

james.miller

HELL YES. IT'S ME!
do you get any problems with pc games?
if its not just zelda you have a problem with then i think its a driver problem.do you have the latests drivers/direct x ?

james.miller

HELL YES. IT'S ME!
scratch that it wont be directx will it.either there is some sort of problem with windows itself (very possible but i doubt it) or its the card its self

james.miller

HELL YES. IT'S ME!
from what you say i think its the card. you said that using glnintendo64 you got a lot of errors say that certain modes arnt supported like :
"IBM_textured_mirrored repeat not supported, some textures won't load correctly!"
this could well be why your colours are off and the textures are wierd.

Trotterwatch

You can find out what the error is, even though you can't see it as you are using XP: Go to Start>Run and type:

Eventvwr.msc

Check both the system and application sections for details on any errors that you may have - you can then closer diagnose them.

snipeer

No problems with PC games...
Also, I have the latest Direct X 8.1, as I have XP.

With regards to drivers, it can be contested as what is "latest"
and what is "best" etc...seeing how 3dfx is no longer in existence.

I highly doubt that it is a problem with Windows, as it was a fresh install not so long ago (1 month?) and I generally keep my computer pretty clean...

With regards to the card, I doubt there is anything physically wrong with it, though it is obvious it is the bottleneck and probably doesn't support many new "fancy" features. I would have expected it to be supported by some plugins though, especially the Glide64, which is supposed to work with it.

As for event logger, it doesn't log that error?!
(There is no record of the error I get in PJ64 after trying to get to full screen at all.)

james.miller

HELL YES. IT'S ME!
not physically no.but its severly lacking in the advanced features that pj64 (and other emulators) use.remember the pj64 f.a.q says that a voodoo4 is the minimum and i know that the banshee is much older than that

snipeer

I agree that the Banshee is to blame for "not perfect" emulation.
However, I don't believe that the Banshee, which may not support certain features that PJ64 and others use, is insufficient to make it at least playable.

In other words, I'm not expecting to be blown away with huge numbers of FPS and extreme superiority in graphics when I get it running, as I realise the Banshee is really old. However, I did, and still do, expect that the Banshee is able to handle the emulation, even if not at full speed, then at close to full speed, with the correct or at least acceptable graphics. And hey, I'm a guy who doesn't care too much about graphics (just think about it, the fact I've still only got a Banshee!) so when I say graphics is bad, I generally mean it's not playable...

In short, all I'm trying to do is get it to a playable stage, and I don't think that is beyond the banshee, although it is four years old or so...

After all, there are guys here who have said they get great FPS with much older hardware...(Some with MUCH less RAM and lower CPU, but admittedly a GeForce... However, I seem to recall some of them saying they have a Voodoo 2 with a approx 700 MHz P!!! and it still works fine for them, albeit slowly (top 40 FPS)...

james.miller

HELL YES. IT'S ME!
yeah your right it shouldnt be that slow.ive never used a 3dfx card so i dont really know much about them. the only thing i can suggest is try a different card because im dawn sure it isnt the 1gig athlon causing the problem

LD.

*poke*
I'm completely confused by this... do normal PC games work in Glide mode? Which ROMs are you trying to run in Glide64?

snipeer

No, I do not have problems with normal PC Games. Then again, I don't run very graphics intensive games, as I really don't like FPSes that much. I don't know if they're in Glide mode or not...

Games played before include:
Starcraft/Brood War, Red Alert 2, Red Alert, Tiberian Sun, MechCommander 2, MechCommander, Emperor: Battle for Dune, Dune 2000, FF7, FF8 and lots of others too... (You see, I'm really a RPG, RTS guy)

ROMs are TWINE and Mario Kart and Zelda (Time)

To test on others, we'd need to communicate offboard...

OP
A

Adaman

Damn, i didnt know that much FPS was possible on N64, especially with that computer (it seems ok but just not anything super)

just came by to check out the thread ;)

Gozu33

dude that is nothing My Zelda Ocarina of Time rom runs at .7 FPS -_-'
OOOPS just relized this was a REAALLLLYYY old thread sry

Status
Not open for further replies.