What's new

sign the 'backwards compatibility for xbox2' petition

apexad

This news came from an anoymous source, originally sent to <a href="http://www.xbox-scene.com">xbox-scene.com</a> Please sign it! Here is some information about the current state of the petition and the original news post over at xbox-scene.com:

<font class=post_quote>An <a href="http://www.petitiononline.com/xbox2/petition.html">online petition</a> to convince Microsoft of implementing backwards compatibility into its next generation Xbox is quickly growing popularity. More than 21,000 Internet users have already signed the petition.
Microsoft (according to a gamesindustry.biz report) seems reluctant to give in to the users demand, even though recent leaks on the Xbox 2 (Codename: Xenon, aka Xbox Next) CPU specs reveal that contradictory to earlier beliefs the next Xbox WILL BE MORE THAN powerful enough to emulate its predecessor in software. Microsoft has as of yet not given a public statement to confirm of deny these claims...</font>

Again, thanx to <a href="http://www.xbox-scene.com">xbox-scene.com</a> and the anonymous source, for the news.
To sign the petition, click <a href="http://www.petitiononline.com/xbox2/petition.html">here</a>

Stezo2k

S-2K
ok i'll go for it, but i wasn't really expecting or looking forward to backwards compatability myself, would be nice to have tho

O

overkill

I'm don't have an xbox and I expect a game that I'm anticipating to be a lauch game for the xbox2. Because of this, I'm just going to wait for the xbox 2 and hope that it's backwards compatable (and moddable ;))

EDIT: about 25000, not bad

Last edited:

loopsider

if everybody in there is willing not to buy an xbox to (at an average of 200$), then xbox can plan to loose 3 million dollars. thats not likely to happen, but a big number of people will wait until it gets cheaper if not backwards compatible or go with a different console. whatever the case, its enough to instill fear.

25,000 is a powerful number.

Z_God

Backwards compatibility defenatly won't be possible.

NVidia said that they would violate several patents/rights if they would try to emulate their chip. They would need cooperation from NVidia to do it, which seems unlikely at this point.

Stezo2k

S-2K
Z_God said:
Backwards compatibility defenatly won't be possible.

NVidia said that they would violate several patents/rights if they would try to emulate their chip. They would need cooperation from NVidia to do it, which seems unlikely at this point.

I recon it's still possible to emulate the xbox without emulating the nvdia GPU, maybe just using the same API etc, I don't know emulation coding, but i recon it could be worked around

IceWarm

I signed it as well, even though I don't have an Xbox. But I’ve played many of the games on other people’s systems. I believe that the Xbox 2 should be backward compatible. If in the future I get an Xbox 2 I would like it to be able to play the great games out on the current system.

MooglyTwo

That's a good idea. Wait, actually, it's not. Not only is it impossible from an engineering standpoint (the XBox runs on PowerPC-based architecture, as opposed to x86 architecture), but devkits have already been sent out to developers (i.e., there's no going back now), not to mention the fact that online petitions are about as legitimate and effective as trying to move a car up a hill by blowing on it really hard.

Jaz

Ex-Mod
Backwards compatibility is just a novelty. How many of you play PSOne games on the PS2? I don't know many people that do.

Stezo2k

S-2K
cooliscool said:
*cough* (comment removed by apexad, this is not an xbox bashing thread)* *cough*

Jaz: I played FF7 twice on my PS2. :p

Whats so shit about it? (added by apexad: NOTHING (even if there was, this is not an xbox bashing thread)

Your an emulation fan aint you? The xbox is the best console for emulation out

Last edited by a moderator:

GogoTheMimic

Pimpin' Red Mage
I have at *LEAST* Quadruple the number of PS1 games as I do PS2 games. I use my PS2 to play PS1 games more than I do to watch DVDs and play PS2 games combined. :p It's not a novelty, it's one less console I have to have hooked up to my TV.

MooglyTwo

The point isn't that there aren't a lot of good games for the XBox, the point is that it isn't feasible from an engineering standpoint to include backwards compatibility on the XBox 2. While the Playstation 2 had a different processor (though not as different as the XBox 2's compared to the XBox) than the Playstation 1, it also has an R3000 processor as its I/O processor, so it effectively has the Playstation 1 on-board. To include a 733MHz Celeron processor along with dual G5 processors (from what I've heard) would not only be not feasible from an engineering standpoint, but it wouldn't even be feasible from a cost standpoint.

thewhitefox

Rumer about Nintendo help on the Next X-BOX

There are rumors about Microsoft/Nintendo Merger. There are name that i heard about the next console. The names are the X-Box², X-Cube, or anything that have an X in it. The new console will have the able to play Gamecube games and as well X-Box games.

Stezo2k

S-2K
thewhitefox said:
There are rumors about Microsoft/Nintendo Merger. There are name that i heard about the next console. The names are the X-Box², X-Cube, or anything that have an X in it. The new console will have the able to play Gamecube games and as well X-Box games.

I highly doubt that mate, MS did try to buy Nintendo, but they refused, so i doubt they'd mergem plus being able to play xbox games and gamecube games is a bit farfetched, it would require quite a lot of work

jdsony

The simple solution to play Xbox games when Xbox 2 comes out is "Keep your Xbox". It's really not that confusing is it? Ever since the PS2 has had backwards compatibility people are demanding it. I had a simple solution to play NES games after the SNES, N64 and even Gamecube came out...I kept my NES. The majority of the public will want to be playing the newest games anyway so it's not a huge issue for Microsoft. As for the Xbox 2 having enough power to emulate the Xbox I doubt it. If it is powerful enough it would be a lot of work to get it running at an acceptable speed and compatibility level. I guess I just see too many negatives with backwards compatibility. Look at PC's, they could be so much more advanced if they didn't have to stay compatible. Compatibility is a lot more important with PC's though so I understand the reasoning behind that.

smegforbrain

Hardware doesn't last forever, jdsony.

But hey, I didn't need to replace my broken PSX because I already had a PS2, so I saved some money.

OP
A

apexad

to some degree, backwards compatibility with the original xbox is not a matter of cost like s may of you claim. Microsoft is the underdog here. PS2 was backwards compatible with PS1 (PSX), Microsoft should be out to beat out Sony in it's second generation console.

I do now yet know if PS3 or XBox2 will be backwards compatible, but either way, it's a selling point. Also, one of the greatest things about PS2 is always said to be it's immense gaming library. There are 100's of PS1 games, and all the PS2 games.

Are they still selling these old PSX games, you betcha! How many people are playing them on PS2's? alot! Yes, they may have a PS1 somewhere collecting dust, but that is what's great. Given the chance people would rather play the games on the brand spankin new console, then the old dusty one.