What's new

Ocarina of Time - Pre-rendered Background Issue

Xmayne

I've been having this weird issue where the pre-rendered backgrounds (Hyrule Town, Link's house, etc.) don't align correctly. I took a screenshot and circled the spots in red.

If you look closely, you can see how they are misaligned and not seamless. I only circled three areas, but obviously there are many more. The sky textures do this as well, to the point where the sky looks like a giant box instead of a dome.

I downloaded Project 64 a few days ago and I've been having this issue from the beginning. And just today, I installed a high resolution texture pack, which made the sky look better, but I can still see the texture seams if I look closely. The other areas still look the same, of course.

I'm using Glide 64 and rendering the game in widescreen. I've tried going back to 4:3, but the problem is still there. I don't really know what is causing this. Is this just how the game looks? Because I'm pretty sure it doesn't.

If anyone knows why this is happening, a response would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• oot_textureissue.jpg
    oot_textureissue.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 2,283

Clements

The background is originally made up of small tiles, so when increasing the resolution, you can see the seams between them. Decreasing the resolution will help a bit with the seams, but that's about all that can be done.

OP
Xmayne

Xmayne

I tried lowering resolutions on both fullscreen and windowed multiple times, and nothing seemed to work. However, I switched my filtering mode to "Automatic" and that seemed to help a bit. It was on "Force Bilinear" before from when I was fiddling around with the settings. It's a little harder to see the seams now, but they are still there. I guess it helps because Force Bilinear makes things more soft, so things like seams are easier to spot, whereas Automatic is more ridged, so it makes seams harder to spot. The image below is with the Automatic setting.

Has anyone else ever had this issue before? Or is this just how the game looks?

Attachments

• oot_textureissue2.jpg
    oot_textureissue2.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 689
F

Fanatic 64

That screenshot is pretty much how it appears on the real Nintendo 64. There's really nothing you can do to "fix" it.

OP
Xmayne

Xmayne

Yeah, that's what I was beginning to figure. I guess it's just really easy to notice these things when you're right up near an LCD monitor as opposed to sitting on a couch with a television.

I put other similar problems in the image below. The boss name text has that one-pixel-off misalignment. Then just sky textures being a little bit weird.

Overall, I guess it doesn't really matter. I can definitely live with the way it is right now. I was just looking for some insight.

Attachments

• oot_textureissue3.jpg
    oot_textureissue3.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 679
Last edited:
F

Fanatic 64

The boss name and white lines in the night sky are in fact emulation inaccuracies. Trough there's not really much you can do about it except changing video plugins.