What's new

Nintendo DS revealed?

revl8er

That Damn Good
The DS is gonna be cool as hell. I like graphics of the games. The mario64 looks great as well as Metroid and Mario Kart.

Macca

if anyone finds a copy of the sony conference can you please share? the psp looks absofuckinglutly amazing

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Hexidecimal said:
You guys are all insane, who cares what it looks like, I like what it does. If you want to find out a bit more about how awesome it might actually be (and see the new zelda NGC trailer) get this

http://www.sofuckingemo.co.uk/ds/nintendo.e3.may11th.2004.avi

The full Nintendo E3 Press Conference. Showing gameplay on the DS, as well as the new trailers, as well as about a zillion other cool things.

SPOILER ALERT:

The new zelda doesnt use the WW engine.
This file is a 100 mb. Poor 56k users =/
Hope this doesn't screw as much as WW.
...When I see it...

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
2fast4u said:
ok, seeing the high-res picture i withdraw my statement, it does look real. still a butt-ugly mofo.

Hey, if you keep that up you are going to piss off Tagrineth...thats my job :D

Moose Jr. said:
Not to mention the fact that it will play Gameboy Advance Games. That's a huge initial library. No doubt Sony is scurrying around whipping their developers into gear to make sure their launch library saves par.

Actually, from what I heard it wont. Supposedly its going to sell alongside with the GBA, not replace it.

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
I'm still waiting 4 the much nicer second release, like all other Big N Handhelds!
Then I would buy it, but please go away with THIS ugly thing.
But the games sound very, very interesting...
looking forward 4 an emulator :p

Buy it, but not at the launch... still remember my N64: 399 $ (that was a lot 4 me, I was young and needed the money)

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
AlphaWolf said:
Actually, from what I heard it wont. Supposedly its going to sell alongside with the GBA, not replace it.
Meh. News to me. Sony wishes to conquer the entire market as to my understanding. And the point of psp was to beat ninty's gba and conquer the handheld market.
Perhaps they've seen ninty's counter handheld as a threat which they cannot yet defeat.

Macca

its meant to sell along side the gba and the new gameboy (whenever it is), but it is backwards compatible with the gba (as said and shown in ninty press conference) confuzzling eh.

GogoTheMimic

Pimpin' Red Mage
It's going to be nearly impossible if not impossible to emulate this thing. Both screens have touch screen capabilities, a built in mic, Wi-Fi AND Wireless up to 100 feet. Sure the mic and Wireless stuff may be easy but how in the hell would someone emulate the touch screen? Clicks of a mouse?

It is confusing that Nintendo said that this won't compete with the GB yet it is backward compatible. They mentioned use of the GBA cartridge slot AND the DS media slot at the same time to allow even more possibilities. They havne't officially announced a price drop but EB is taking preorders for it at $199.99 due out in October. They said that it would launch in Japan and the US this year with Australia and the UK early 05.

I'm much more excited about the DS than the PSP. The only thing that interests me about the PSP is the Metal Gear game. The shitty battery life(maybe 2 hours) and CD format kill it for me.

Clements

GogoTheMimic said:
It's going to be nearly impossible if not impossible to emulate this thing. Both screens have touch screen capabilities, a built in mic, Wi-Fi AND Wireless up to 100 feet. Sure the mic and Wireless stuff may be easy but how in the hell would someone emulate the touch screen? Clicks of a mouse?

Exactly, using a mouse, and only one of the screens is a touch screen. And who needs to emulate the Wi-Fi, or Wireless capability? VBA doesn't emulate the link function but it emulates the games very well. Also, emulating a console that isn't even released has certain 'moral issues' like emulating the GBA now.

Nighty0

Gentoo n00b
ds2_grande.jpg

ds1_grande.jpg

nintendo5.jpg

nintendo6.jpg

nintendo1.jpg

nintendo2.jpg

nintendo4.jpg

nintendo3.jpg

Nighty0

Gentoo n00b
Images of the PSP......... only for you... bwahaha

What of the two handhelds will win?
psp-004.jpg
psp-003.jpg
psp-002.jpg

Last edited:

Clements

If I was at my most cynical, I'd say it looks like an extra wide Gameboy Advance (not SP) with 4 face buttons in a diamond fromation which they copied from the Snes (with PSX) :p

But I can't blame them. Sony have a mountain to climb, let's see if they can bring in some innovative games. If they can make more innovative and fun games than Nintendo and not just appeal to the mainstream audience, then they deserve to suceed, and I'd be the first person in the queue to get one. However, being a Nintendo fan most of my life (as a young child, I was very much a Sega fan), I somehow doubt that they will. But you never know, the handheld is not yet released so it would be harsh to judge on first appearances.

Xade

Irrelevant Insight
Notice the delicate female hands holding the thing, the artistic white background etc etc. It's Sony all over. Handheld 'entertainment station' or some other shit buzz-phrase they'll use. They might as well be advertising a camcorder or something.

Like ps2, the PSP is STYLE OVER CONTENT, and, while looking the business, will more than likely get slaughtered in the gaming stakes. Have you SEEN how many third parties have signed up for DS?!

PSP looks like some fucked up handheld DivX player, while the DS... looks like it's gonna play games. And that's what it's all about.

Clements

For all the DS pictures I've seen are excited guys holding it up in one hand, showing how small the actual console is. The PSP pictures look like the adverts you'd see in a glossy magazines, and is being marketed based on style and looks. The PSP is no doubt actractive, but the games look like they'll just be PS2 ports from what I've seen so far. The DS screenies are clearly emphasizing the multiplayer aspect, with the 4-Player Mario64-type game and you can clearly see another Samus in one of the Metroid screenshots. Let's hope they have less jaggies/or won't be noticable on the screen on the final Nintendo DS.

Last edited:

Nighty0

Gentoo n00b
If i have the money to buy PSP or DS, I prefer (for now) PSP.......
only for Gran Turismo............. :D

the most important for me is the software. i don't care much about the hardware....... i play the A2600's "Enduro" today............ the games that will be launched with the console is the most important for me now......

more screenies....
see in the last screenies the "chat" capability of NDS.......
Mario_4P_7.jpg
Mario_4P_6.jpg
Mario_4P_5.jpg
Mario_4P_4.jpg
Mario_4P_1.jpg
Mario_4P_2.jpg
wario5.jpg
wario4.jpg
wario3.jpg
wario1.jpg
Pchat5.jpg
Pchat4.jpg