What's new

Nintendo DS: Release Date, Price, Box Art.

posty_2k3

T3h pwn3r3r
Well, I'm not sure how many handheld fans there are here, but I thought I would update you guy's with the latest news.

There you are. The upcoming Nintendo DS will make its worldwide debut in North America on November 21 and after that in Japan on December 2. The price of the unit will be at $149.99, much lower than the $199 rumoured. DS will be the first Nintendo system to make a debut outside its home, Japan.

Moreover the Nintendo DS comes with the PictoChat application built-in. Yes sir. You are reading right. PictoChat was already rumoured to be embedded in the system hardware and now it is officially confirmed. This application allows DS owners to write messages with an on-screen keyboard or the stylus and send them wirelessly to other DS users nearby. Nintendo DS in sleep mode can spring to life if another DS is in transmitting range so the users can communicate.

"Each time Nintendo creates a hand-held, it introduces new elements of play and sets a new standard for mobile gaming," Larry Probst, EA's chairman and CEO said. "The DS is no exception - Nintendo has another big winner with the DS."

Nintendo DS has a flip-top cover that can protect both screens. It has two speakers that let users hear surround sound, while its dual screens opens new ways to play games. Nintendo DS sits 148.7 millimetres (5.85 inches) wide, 84.7 millimetres (3.33 inches) long and 28.9 millimetres (1.13 inches) tall (with the cover closed). The new media format for games has no moving parts that could be misaligned if the unit is dropped or jarred and also gives the DS a long battery life.

Coming out in USA before Japan eh? Me likey :p Definately gonna get me one of these for X-Mas, after X-Mas, or my B-Day. Only 2 more months before it's release ^_^

And, here we go...

OFFICIAL BOX ART!!!

0568a14e-5d35-4683-8071-962c27deb947.jpg

GogoTheMimic

Pimpin' Red Mage
Bluesummers said:
I'm not payin that much feckin money for a nintendo ds...

150 bucks is too much? What are you smoking? It comes with Picto Chat installed AND Metroid comes bundled with it. BTW, they fixed Metroid so the controls don't blow.

Jesus, the DS has voice over IP, built in wireless AND wi-fi, touch screen, voice capable, processors for EACH screen, can play GBA games, 6-10 hour battery life, etc etc etc. >_<

Bluesummers

GogoTheMimic said:
150 bucks is too much? What are you smoking? It comes with Picto Chat installed AND Metroid comes bundled with it. BTW, they fixed Metroid so the controls don't blow.

Jesus, the DS has voice over IP, built in wireless AND wi-fi, touch screen, voice capable, processors for EACH screen, can play GBA games, 6-10 hour battery life, etc etc etc. >_<

its just too much for me! im only 13 ... well i have the money... but my daddy will prolly buy it for me...(lol i said daddy) hes sorta rich and gets me lots of things

aprentice

Bluesummers said:
its just too much for me! im only 13 ... well i have the money... but my daddy will prolly buy it for me...(lol i said daddy) hes sorta rich and gets me lots of things

you spoiled little shit :p

2fast4u

i like the box art, looks pretty slick to go with the console design. and this time maybe there wont be kids bitching about how ninty makes consoles that look like they were stolen from a 13yr old :p

the price is really civil too, no problems here on my part. btw, according to nintendo europe gbasp price drop is just ahead, wonder why ;)

2fast4u

Bluesummers said:

/me didnt just have 150 bucks spare at age 13
/me agrees with Aprentice :p

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Indeed, such a sweet machine that costs practically nothing at all. On par or even cheaper than the gba sp, imagine that!
Definetly going to get one of these, when I can...

Stezo2k

S-2K
I'm not that interested myself, i might get it for a game or two though

I'm waiting for the PSP myself, that looks promising

smcd

GogoTheMimic said:

With all these features, it's going to be a homebrew/hacker's dream come true. :bouncy:

sheik124

Emutalk Member
Stezo2k said:
I'm waiting for the PSP myself, that looks promising
but of course, sony will sucker many into buying the "OMG OMG CAMERA OMG OMG GPS OMG BLAH USELESS SHIT" accessory, as well as the everly popular "OMG SO EXPENSIVE SONY BRAND MEMORY STICK DUO SANDISK PWNZ J00!" add-on, personally, i am not going to touch the psp until it reaches 150, most rumored prices for it are 250-300 dollars, the DS is just what i need, a gaming console, if i wanted all that fancy shit in the PSP i'd just get something like a nokia 7610 and get a phone and megapixel camera to boot

EDIT: of course, no cell phone can touch the psp when it comes to games

Stezo2k

S-2K
sheik124 said:
but of course, sony will sucker many into buying the "OMG OMG CAMERA OMG OMG GPS OMG BLAH USELESS SHIT" accessory, as well as the everly popular "OMG SO EXPENSIVE SONY BRAND MEMORY STICK DUO SANDISK PWNZ J00!" add-on, personally, i am not going to touch the psp until it reaches 150, most rumored prices for it are 250-300 dollars, the DS is just what i need, a gaming console, if i wanted all that fancy shit in the PSP i'd just get something like a nokia 7610 and get a phone and megapixel camera to boot

EDIT: of course, no cell phone can touch the psp when it comes to games

I feel that was totally uncalled for myself, I just think the handheld looks quite promising myself, and being more powerful than the PS2, we should see quite a few nice-looking games for it.

Heck, the DS looks a pretty good handheld, but I can name some disadvantages it has, Battery Life is the main one, powering 2 backlit screens will really drain batteries