What's new

Metroid Prime CMDL Viewer (still working on it however)

OP
SarahHarp

SarahHarp

From the Gamecube disc. I cannot give any other specifics because that would be against the rules. Sorry.

BlueFalcon7

are there textures in the CMDL files, or do they work like .3DS files, where the textures used are specifeid in the basic model file but are in seperate texture files, because there are TXTR files in the .pak. This whole thing may end up being like a spark edit for metroid prime, which was Nintendo's version of halo

OP
SarahHarp

SarahHarp

CMDL's do not hold the texture data, but hold the refrencing names to them. So, when I do eventually release the viewer, an individual must first decompress the cmdl they want to view, then decompress the txtr, as well as BTI dumping it, and finally DDS dumping it. It took quite the bit of time to do that for every single texture.. I may just make the viewer give a error message if it cannot find the dds, and the error message will consist of all the required textures needed to view the model.
However I suppose I can just make a direct TXTR viewer... buuut I'm not in the mood for that quite yet (just got textures to work, though Samus uses multiple textures, I can only view one group at a time for now.) I'm currently working on making the header work for all files finally.

You can see how the "red metal" texture group looks here: http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/5998/uvfixed9yy.png : )

boxing

FYI,

Some of Metroid Prime's textures use single Mipmaps and to not extract properly using the current methods. The 8x8 pixel blocks look correct but the swizzling is not. There are quite a few of them.

Thakis also mentioned that he found a few of the same single mipmap textures in Zelda:WW that had the same problem.

Last edited:
OP
SarahHarp

SarahHarp

Samus is now fully Textured (note that the green "lights" on her don't appear because I'm actually texturing her "phazon suit", and the red lights on that suit are controlled differntly)
I also got the shine to work. I just need to properly overlay it onto the textured Samus, and then finish with the header and I'm done : )

EDIT: I have pretty much finished the shine, and have overlayed it ontop her base textures: http://img75.imageshack.us/img75/3862/mpsamus8gv.png

Last edited:
OP
SarahHarp

SarahHarp

Yes, I will definatly host the viewer here, the thing is though, the current state of it is not the best, most userfriendly, and crashes on a number of files (because I'm not completly finished). Also the textures arn't supported yet (I had it hardcoded for samus which is why it worked on her, but I'm looking to make it more versitile for every file).
I've dont some more progress on this, and that being an exporter woo, http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/8254/mayasamus0pv.png <- That is the samus model (hardcoded again -.-) in Maya 7 : )

Last edited:

metroid5

and could u send the files and the viewer too my friend did something like that with metrod first hunt and i'll ask him to help u out with it if you want

OP
SarahHarp

SarahHarp

I said I'd post the viewer here, once I'm finished with it. And about sending the files... which files are you refurring to? the model files themselves? I'm sorry but those are copywrited and I cannot just -send- them to people.
About the extra help bit, no it's ok, he doesn't have to help out with this, I'm having fun with it as it is : )

metroid5

i got a qeustion though....how can u get the files off the disk if the cd-rom or dvd wont read the disk?whats the point of posting it if ppl have nuttin to look at with?unless u post the models to