What's new

Launch date for iPhone revealed

_42797291_leopard-ap203.jpg

Apple has confirmed that its much-anticipated iPhone product will launch on 29 June in the US.
Find out more here.

BlueFalcon7

OMG! I so called it! 599 US dollars!

Seriously, on another forum, when I was posting the iPhone info, I was like 599 US dollars, and I was right.

Honestly, I cant afford that! Though, I do have Cingular. Im good with my ghetto V220.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
iPhone or PS3? Hmmm. Hard choice. Really.
Will they go the same way as Sony's PS3? Ooooh. Only time will tell!

Cyberman

iPhone or PS3? Hmmm. Hard choice. Really.
Will they go the same way as Sony's PS3? Ooooh. Only time will tell!
Are you infering that it may go the route of "what the heck do I need this for"?
I really don't need a PS3... and actually right now unless they make significant changes to it I don't want one either. :)

Cyb

Doomulation

I'm just implying that it will have poor sales ala PS3. A famous company who once dominated with their prev-gen product "overestimates" the demand for something saying "I think customers will work harder and longer to purchase our product." Familiar? Yep. Sounds like Sony.
Hey, come on - who doesn't have a cell phone these days? And who doesn't have some sort of music player or media player either on the phone or a seperate player, eg mp3 player or ipod? So what do I need an iPhone for when it costs as much as $600?
I can get a PS3 for that money and get next-gen gaming plus another PC-crunching device. Maybe a server, or whatever. Plus it has multimedia capabilities.... Yeah.
So what does iPhone has to compare to that? A cell phone? Stop kidding me. I already have one. And since it's main purpose is an iPod, I wonder how well it will do as a cell phone?

Cyberman

I believe Apple believes that leveraging iTunes and using the connectivity of there iPhone will make sales. I'm not certain of this but inside the iPhone are enough processors to make a nintendo Dual Screen seem pickyunish. There are 9 processors in it each doing there own proprietary thing (DRM and audio playing management, information and network connectivity, cell phone access and network base level, CDMA system and spread spectrum RF processing, keyboard control (PSoC from Cypress) that's just off the top of my head).

As for if the iPhone will be sucessful or not, I don't know. I probably won't buy one since my Samsung640 does everything I want (I can use it as a phone and keep track of numbers connect to the internet through it using blue tooth with my palm I'm happy with it all :D).

Cyb

BlueFalcon7

Look at what apple products and Sony products have in common (with a few exceptions)
I have noticed that with both Apple products, and Sony products, they both seem very flashy and overpriced. The type of product where you say "OMG I want one!" and if you actually get one, you realize that you you can really show it off, and thats about all you can do with it. All the products seem like "I paid way too much for this" I have also noticed that for both of them, theres always that fanboy who does not listen to what some of us have to say, and sticks with it regardless of price, or how much better something else is.

At least, thats my opinion, its what I have seen is my short time living in the business world.

Slougi

The difference between Apple and Sony products is that Apple products are actually nice to use and decently engineered. I love my ipod. I might even get an iphone, but I'll have to try it first, and see how long it will take for decent Linux support, or alternatively how hard that will be to develop.

Doomulation

Look at what apple products and Sony products have in common (with a few exceptions)
I have noticed that with both Apple products, and Sony products, they both seem very flashy and overpriced. The type of product where you say "OMG I want one!" and if you actually get one, you realize that you you can really show it off, and thats about all you can do with it. All the products seem like "I paid way too much for this" I have also noticed that for both of them, theres always that fanboy who does not listen to what some of us have to say, and sticks with it regardless of price, or how much better something else is.

At least, thats my opinion, its what I have seen is my short time living in the business world.

Isn't Brand Love a wonderful thing? The more poular your company becomes, the more you can charge and the worse design you can make - and you know what the best part is? No one will complain! :phone: Or at least no one will pay them any heed.

BlueFalcon7

Isn't Brand Love a wonderful thing? The more poular your company becomes, the more you can charge and the worse design you can make - and you know what the best part is? No one will complain! :phone: Or at least no one will pay them any heed.
Yes, the only difference between Apple and Sony however, is that my respect for Apple has gone up alot. Starting with the switch to x86, then the DRM free music, and I also like how they handle software. The only reason I don't buy their products, is that they are too expensive. The reason I don't buy Sony products, is that Sony sucks, their products are about as durable as a house in an F5 tornado, and they are overpriced.

The iPhone is useful, just overpriced, and at that price, I don't want to question the durability. No iPhone for me unless I somehow get money coming out of nowhere. Besides, then I will get a car.

BlueFalcon7

I really love Doom coming in and raining on the corporate whore's party :)
He tells me the propaganda I like to hear

...and usually its true :p

Personally, I think there will be problems, as there were with the iPod. Apple has never made a phone before, and now they are trying to make a superphone. I have seen a lot of glitches with the iPod even still today. There computers may claim to be glitch free, but I have seen many.

Though I did agree with the article, where it said that the iPhone will really be popular in 2009. Thats exactly what happened to the iPod. However, the only difference between the iPhone and iPod is the price, and the fact that most people already have a phone. I could barely affoard $250 when I bought my iPod. I still have to buy myself a car. Theres no way I am spending $599 on a phone, so my parents can spend even more money on the service.

Doomulation

This one has attained an iPhone and is reviewing it currently... he hasn't used it so much so it really isn't much of an interview, but what's interesting is that he DID say there were thing he DID like and some things he did NOT like! We'll keep an eye on this one, won't be? ;)
http://www.winbeta.org/comments.php?id=7754&catid=1

Then again, why get an iPhone when you get a trusted brand that can do everything the iPhone does and more? Oh yes, we're talking about THAT phone, the one we all love and hate--the Nokia N95! Of course it's still expensive, but it still probably has better battery life than the iPhone (sources say it has poor battery life and critics are jumping on this line). A little quote to end it all:

"The Nokia N95, for real, this time

The Nokia N95 does everything; we just can't say it enough. All the features you wish the iPhone had? The N95 has them, and does things you didn't even think a phone could do. 3G? Done. GPS? No problem. DVD-quality video recording? Didn't think of that one, did you? How about video calls? The N95 can do everything we've seen any phone do, and it does everything pretty well, including still images, where most phones flounder. Unfortunately, if you want to use the most advanced features, like the high speed HSDPA networking and the video calling, you need to move to another continent, because our networks aren't supporting these features, yet. Even when AT&T rolls out video sharing this summer, it will be to a few, select phones, though many European imports have front-facing cameras for just this purpose. If Nokia could bring a fully operational Nokia N95 to the U.S., even at the current $750+ price point, it would answer all the critics who complain about what the iPhone can't do."

Source: http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/7967.html

BlueFalcon7

I wouldn't say that I hate the iPhone, rather, those iPhone enthusiasts who have never used an iPhone, yet are raving about it, really annoy me. The iPhone is not the end all-be all to phones. Like I said about the PS3, I don't have $600!

Doom, you also said that the battery life sucked? Well with like 6 processors (or was it 9?) in it, the battery is going to suck. Also, making a phone have an OS, thats not a good idea, that means that it can be hacked. Believe me, the Mac OS is not unhackable. I run it on my PC.

As much as I like Apple, I am kind of hoping this will be another corporate disaster, where they release a product, and it sucks because its overpriced. Maybe Apple will see the light, and amybe their computers will be decently priced.

Doomulation

Doom, you also said that the battery life sucked? Well with like 6 processors (or was it 9?) in it, the battery is going to suck. Also, making a phone have an OS, thats not a good idea, that means that it can be hacked. Believe me, the Mac OS is not unhackable. I run it on my PC.
Yes, it's pretty sad battery life according to what the article quotes. I haven't tested the phone myself so I wouldn't know!
But as you know, all phones contain some kind of operating system. There are older and there are newer, like Symbian and Windows Mobile. They can be hacked, they can carry viruses, but they can also carry pretty awesome apps.

As much as I like Apple, I am kind of hoping this will be another corporate disaster, where they release a product, and it sucks because its overpriced. Maybe Apple will see the light, and amybe their computers will be decently priced.

I'm inclined to agree. They just relying on their brand to sell the phone. Well, you know what? Consumers are generally stupid, but they're not totally ignorant. I'm guessing the iPhone will go the way of the PS3.

smcd

I think it is nice that apple tried to be different (using entirely touch screen for the interface, etc). That said, I am not buying one as they are too expensive and I already have a phone anyhow. Also, if someone already has a phone and an ipod (and millions upon millions of people do), why would they essentially buy another phone+ipod?

Slougi

Also, making a phone have an OS, thats not a good idea, that means that it can be hacked. Believe me, the Mac OS is not unhackable. I run it on my PC.

Do you think other phones don't have an OS? For what it's worth, Symbian is a pain in the ass from a developers perspective. The system is absolutely horrid.

Cyberman

Do you think other phones don't have an OS? For what it's worth, Symbian is a pain in the ass from a developers perspective. The system is absolutely horrid.
Palm OS isn't much better and the company that was supposed to bring out a new version of it EON's ago simply didn't. The Palm OS is workable but does have some .. nasty gotcha's. It's not particularly fun when you have to draw everything for a widget and you have to use a widget because that is all you have to use. Unless it's just a button :D

Cyb