What's new

Just some days...

locust

I lost all hope on a new release anytime soon (=less than six months), however an update saying that the authors are minimally interested in some day giving a new update/release would be awesome.

Such an awesome emulator so abandoned, so sad sigh. You now see how many emulators are ported to almost every existing platform like snes9x and all (check PSP emulators, so many old platforms now playable after some tweaking on it thanks to all those previous efforts) and thus the work of the programmers will be enjoyed on current and future platforms, this one could go side by side and be alive forever, some games here like Shenmue, Power Stone, etc deserve to be played by younger gamers, but it stays here in a weird limbo :(

Sorry for my stupid rant, if Chankast wasn't so good and promising I wouldn't be so sad about its current state, nor would I keep coming here day after day for the slightest hope, but nothing comes.

Last edited:

Trotterwatch

Well it isn't really the birthday that would have been in May, more the anniversarry since the last release which was in July (7th).

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
I haven't seen any post implying that the next version will be in released two weeks...
Unless a Chankast author writes something about a release date anything else will simly be rumors.

Talbain

Moo.
The emulator is, for all purposes, dead. The authors have said nothing to anyone about any future releases, and it's unlikely there will be any. Your best hope is likely put in Dreamemu or thereabouts.

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
That's what happened with PJ64. It was dead for about three years dammit and then... a new version came up.
Stop calling a project dead just because you don't have a new version to play with...

smcd

PsyMan said:
That's what happened with PJ64. It was dead for about three years dammit and then... a new version came up.
Stop calling a project dead just because you don't have a new version to play with...
I was going to say that but decided why bother given the level of 'quality' in this thread. :p

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
In that case let me drop the quality again...
I declare every emulator that didn't have an update in the last 24 hours DEAD :evil:

PS: OMG, I just killed all the emu scene... :eek:

Talbain

Moo.
Semi-sarcasm. Basically the "Dreamcast" emulators are not very active as far as development goes (the only emulator that I know of that's more dead is Saturn development). Or the developers are extremely silent about them. I'm always bothered by people who say emulators are still alive because they updated once in huge periods of time with virtually no information referencing them (or they didn't officially say they're dead, something that's laughable considering how many rise from the dead). In my mind, any emulator is dead if there's no activity after a significant amount of time. I consider the ZSNES emulator to be dead, but it's still updated every now and then. I also consider significant updates. Not updates that fix something like one polygon in one game.

KaneRobot

WEN-DI-GO
Talbain said:
Semi-sarcasm. Basically the "Dreamcast" emulators are not very active as far as development goes (the only emulator that I know of that's more dead is Saturn development). Or the developers are extremely silent about them. I'm always bothered by people who say emulators are still alive because they updated once in huge periods of time with virtually no information referencing them (or they didn't officially say they're dead, something that's laughable considering how many rise from the dead). In my mind, any emulator is dead if there's no activity after a significant amount of time. I consider the ZSNES emulator to be dead, but it's still updated every now and then. I also consider significant updates. Not updates that fix something like one polygon in one game.

You're not wrong. It may not be "dead" in the respect that no one will ever touch it again sometime over the next few years, but come on. It's been a year since a release and half a year since a site update. "Catatonic" is just as bad as "dead" as far as I'm concerned, since either way nothing is released.

Great emulator with lots of potential, but be fair - this is hardly a case of declaring it dead "24 hours" after there was no update.

Branz_mf said:
So the new chankast will be out in a couple of weeks?

....shhh.

Squaresoft74

Pceripper
Talbain said:
the only emulator that I know of that's more dead is Saturn development.
SSF
Alive and kicking , play lots of commercial games fully and is perfectly legit unlike that hacked girgiri or its lame gui hacked clone Cassini.

Satourne
Version 2.0 is under private beta testing since March and looks promising.

Saturnin
Still worked on and progressing nicely.

Yabause
Not much news atm for that one but progressing nicely aswell with each release.

I would hardly call the Saturn emulation development "dead" :whistling :p

Talbain

Moo.
Squaresoft74 said:
SSF
Alive and kicking , play lots of commercial games fully and is perfectly legit unlike that hacked girgiri or its lame gui hacked clone Cassini.

Satourne
Version 2.0 is under private beta testing since March and looks promising.

Saturnin
Still worked on and progressing nicely.

Yabause
Not much news atm for that one but progressing nicely aswell with each release.

I would hardly call the Saturn emulation development "dead" :whistling :p
Touche. I suppose it'd be easier to explain what I mean if I could talk with any of you, but, being unable to do so, I will simply say that I hope you are right as far as development of the Dreamcast and Saturn emulators goes, and the same for all other emulators as well. I'm not being unappreciative, far from it, but I do believe that correspondence with the people who want these things the most would be a good idea. Though, I'm told that programming makes you unable to communicate with people who aren't programmers, so maybe that's where my fault in thinking comes in.

KaneRobot

WEN-DI-GO
Talbain said:
I will simply say that I hope you are right as far as development of the Dreamcast and Saturn emulators goes, and the same for all other emulators as well. I'm not being unappreciative, far from it, but I do believe that correspondence with the people who want these things the most would be a good idea.

Ditto. I don't care if/when they release something, what they've done so far is enough to hold me over indefinitely. But even just for the sake of donations - which I was planning on doing until I saw the length of time between releases and site updates - I wish they'd just put SOMETHING on their site like "We're not dead, progress is slow on the next version but it will be out eventually" or whatever the situation is. Even if it IS dead I'd rather hear them say it than just speculating endlessly.