What's new

Just some days...

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
They have already made a thread in this forum saying that they will release a new version sometime in the future.
What the heck do you want them to do? Staying in front of their computers 24 hours per day to answer the same stupid question to every person that keeps asking? Or do you want them to keep updating the Chanka website every month saying that they are not dead? Like that:

24/3/05 "We're not dead, Chankast is still under development"
20/4/05 "We're not dead, Chankast is still under development"
13/5/05 "We're not dead, Chankast is still under development"
21/6/05 "We're not dead, Chankast is still under development"

The only dead thing here is the patience of some people... As I already wrote in a previous post you only want a new version to play with.
Your favourite game simply has problems or Chankast does not have a special feature that you like, there is not a version that supports the game or feature, you can't find a way to get a new version so you simply declaire the emulator as dead.

It doesn't matter if the previous version was released an hour, a month or a year ago. You simply always want more and more and more... like if the developers were your slaves or something...

PS: The post that declaires ZSNES and the Saturn emulation as dead is the best example of this attitude.

Talbain

Moo.
Psy, you'll find that if you never want anything, and even more, never ask for anything, you'll never get anything. Patience is a word that's only useful when you're actually doing something, not when waiting for something. If you patiently wait for everything, you'll end up with nothing. While some people long for this (Buddhists and some other religions), most people don't. I'm extremely patient with those who are actually working on projects, but people who make snide comments about others having no patience have just as little patience as those making the request.

Also, what's so wrong with merely saying "we're still working on it" every month or so? I'm sure the 10 seconds it'd take them to update to say this would be extremely crucial, because god knows that the world would come to an end if they spent that ten seconds to make a statement. </sarcasm>

Clements, there haven't been any significant changes to ZSNES for a long, long time. The sound core still reeks, the controller emulation is still slow. The most significant one had to do with some sort drawing bug that byuu pointed out at the development forum, and that was months ago. Even then it wasn't a significant bug. I consider emulators alive when dynamic changes are still occurring to them within a feasible timeframe. (Usually 6 months-year, longer for the newer emulators, due to needing more code) Thus, even though some old emulators are still alive, most are dead, even if they are being updated. (Such as SNES9X, ZSNES and Saturn)

Last edited:

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
It's obvious that you think yourself as someone very important. Don't you tell me that you personally contracted Garrofi and asked him to make a Dreamcast emulator for you... (Yes, that's was a sarcasm).

It's not bad to ask but IT IS BAD to keep asking the same thing over and over again and IT IS EVEN WORST to be the one that hears that same question over and over again and EVEN WORST to be the one that has to answer that question.

Regarding the "we're still working on it" thing... It is pointless to keep saying the same thing every month just because some people want to hear it every day.

Edit due to the above edit: This guy is nuts.
ZSNES managed to support on-the-fly decryption for some games recently and support for many custom chips in the last years but this guy considers ZSNES as dead withough "dynamic" changes.
There are at least 4 Saturn emulators that managed to get higher compatibility, speed increase and sound support in less than four months ago but this guy thinks that they're also dead and that they didn't have any "dynamic" changes either.

What should an emulator do to be considered as "Alive" by this guy? Making coffee and cooking dinner?
This thread must be the most ridiculus thread of 2005. :doh:

Last edited:

Clements

Talbain said:
Clements, there haven't been any significant changes to ZSNES for a long, long time. The sound core still reeks, the controller emulation is still slow. The most significant one had to do with some sort drawing bug that byuu pointed out at the development forum, and that was months ago. Even then it wasn't a significant bug. I consider emulators alive when dynamic changes are still occurring to them within a feasible timeframe. (Usually 6 months-year, longer for the newer emulators, due to needing more code) Thus, even though some old emulators are still alive, most are dead, even if they are being updated. (Such as SNES9X, ZSNES and Saturn)

My definition of "dead" is when the authors discontinue the emulator, not when "significant changes stop". There is only so much you can do to improve a nigh on perfect emulator with some very hard to solve bugs.

You also obviously do not know what is currently going on with the development of ZSNES, since you'd know that the whole emulator is being ported to C and there will be a whole new netplay implementation for the next version to support 3 or more players, as well as a totally new universal config file, new save state code, new movie and rewind code and DSP-4 support. By your reckoning, more than half the emulators in active development are dead. This is flawed logic.

Talbain

Moo.
PsyMan said:
It's not bad to ask but IT IS BAD to keep asking the same thing over and over again and IT IS EVEN WORST to be the one that hears that same question over and over again and EVEN WORST to be the one that has to answer that question.

Regarding the "we're still working on it" thing... It is pointless to keep saying the same thing every month just because some people want to hear it every day.
Psy, the most successful people in the world get things done by always asking. Over, and over and over again. So, while you may hate having to answer the same question, I'll keep asking, watching, and waiting till there's change. It's how Nintendo, Apple, Microsoft came to be the giants they are. In fact, Nintendo even called stores asking as many as four times a day if they could put their product into the store. So don't ever tell me that asking questions is somehow taboo. It's the only way things get done.

Clements, I apologize. You're right as far as keeping up with development on the ZSNES emulator, I haven't really been keeping track of it, and I didn't know they were rewriting it. You're also right about my standards, they're pretty high considering that these are free emulators. But why bother if you're not going to make something that is of high quality, or at least with such an intention in mind?

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
Tal, most of the banned members in these forums get theirselves banned by asking. Over, and over and over again. So, while they may love having to ask the same question, they'll keep to get theirselves banned till there's change. Got it?

STC-Fan

Dollop.
Wow, a topic with some half-decent discussion and no usage of short-hand writing going on. Brilliant! Not that we need stuff like this here all the time, but it's quite refreshing to open a topic here one day and discover it doesn't take less than 20 seconds to read all the posts contained in it. =P

Also, while some people here call *console XYZ* emulation development dead - spare a thought for the Philips CD-i, for which there is only one emulator (CD-ice) which runs one game, Rise of the Robots. Granted it's more "obscure" than the DC or Saturn or whatever, but then again, the 3DO & Jaguar could both be considered such and there are some (in the case of the 3DO, one, but it's very good) emulators for both that can emulate a few commercial games, and underground / public domain demos (well, there are none of the latter for the 3DO, because developing stuff for it is hard due to the various proprietary chipsets it uses, and encryption, etc. =P).

ssma2005

I couldn't stop thinking how stupid some people are while reading this entire discussion...I mean seriously, these developers devote a lot of time these projects to provide us with a working emulator so we can enjoy our games in the future. No one has contracted them, or payed them to do it, they do it because they want to. If they don't release a new version or give any updates for a while, deal with it, they have a life outside of programming I'm sure. Just be grateful for what they have provided so far, be grateful for what they have started. Oneday we will have a Dreamcast emulator with a high compatibility rate that runs at full speed and has full sound compatibility, but right now it's just a work in progress.
While you wait use your console, you won't die :term:

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
These topic shows again why there wasn't ever a release of Icarus...
The author didn't wanted to have such stress and such annoying n00bs who keeps asking... :(
They will never see a new version if THEY announce the dead of an emulator...
Why do they do that? Do they think only if someone says an emu is daed they will release a new version to show that it isn't so? Poor n00bs!

locust

If you don't like stress don't get into emus programming at all, and even more so if you emulate a rather recent console. I don't think that giving an update every, say, 3-6 months, is something terrible to ask for. I can understand that we owe respect and gratitude for people that make emulators for our favorite consoles for nothing, but to rise that respect and gratitude to blind faith and adoration where wondering whats happening and hoping for an update is sacrilege is a bit too far. I don't mind waiting 1, 2 or 3 years for a new release, but I would like at least to know if there's something to wait for at all.

General Plot

Britchie Crazy
locust said:
If you don't like stress don't get into emus programming at all, and even more so if you emulate a rather recent console. I don't think that giving an update every, say, 3-6 months, is something terrible to ask for. I can understand that we owe respect and gratitude for people that make emulators for our favorite consoles for nothing, but to rise that respect and gratitude to blind faith and adoration where wondering whats happening and hoping for an update is sacrilege is a bit too far. I don't mind waiting 1, 2 or 3 years for a new release, but I would like at least to know if there's something to wait for at all.

That's a rather cynical attitude. If these guys were to NEVER post another update or new version, are you saying you wouldn't be happy with what they have given you so far? Seems some people can't be pleased.