What's new

Jabo Graphic 1.5 Versus Glide64

Trotterwatch

Last words:

Why do you deviate away from the subject at hand, and instead make references to how the coding of Windows is not good? We all know that it isn't the most optimised/cleanly written/bug free OS around, it is however the most supported one (by software writers... and virus ones come to that!) and will be for sometime to come.

milen

It's main goal is to work in exact date no matter it's not completed and buggy. I know it's the way many software companies work but windows code is too complicated and some main code in the kernel that is used many times is not coded right. And multithreading is not correctly written. But you're right that games are coded mainly for Windows and that's the reason I use Windows too.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Trotterwatch said:
Last words:

Why do you deviate away from the subject at hand, and instead make references to how the coding of Windows is not good? We all know that it isn't the most optimised/cleanly written/bug free OS around, it is however the most supported one (by software writers... and virus ones come to that!) and will be for sometime to come.
afaik, xp isn't "bug free". It is indeed very buggy, too. It is just "hidden".
As for the voodoo outperforms a geforce2 card; i don't believe it, show some proof, and maybe i'll believe it.

grandmaster: this is NOT a competition about the plugins. Jabo's and glide all have their good points and bad points. Glide works better on 3dfx cards, and that's the purpose it was done for.

about the xp gfx: there is a way to disable this.
about the startup/shutdown: yes, this is very slow (at least for me), and i dunno why...

Well then, that was all

iq_132

Banned
AFAIK, every os has at least a few bugs, major and minor. It's just that the windows OS is the most picked apart OS in the world. Everyone's pokes around every part of it to find bugs and such.

SlapnMachine

I had a V3 for some time and used hacked (Omega) drivers. There was an option to make use of edge antialiasing, which was separate from the FSAA options (these drivers were intended for V5's actually). It's affect was noticeable, but not to the extent of FSAA, it seemed to mainly affect the player controlled object, such as the car in racing games.
That's about the only thing I noticed, anyway. I only checked it out in a few PC games, and I wasn't scrutinizing. Appearance-wise it was similar to what it looked like on the GF2MX I had in another machine. IIRC performance didn't suffer greatly either.

tbag

pffftt.. actually the mother of all OS is Unix microsoft stole there code edited it and claimed it as theres its safe as hell alot safer then Linux

anyhow Glide is better for me on my GeForce 2 :cool:

Doomulation

Usually, glide64 with the wrapper is good on all under-specs cards such as the built-in intel crapshit.
On newer cards, though, such as geforce3+, jabo's looks better.

Cyberman

tbag said:
pffftt.. actually the mother of all OS is Unix microsoft stole there code edited it and claimed it as theres its safe as hell alot safer then Linux

anyhow Glide is better for me on my GeForce 2 :cool:
I'm lost.. what are you trying to say here?

are you saying Unix was the first OS?
and MS stole it?
If so.. please go home and spend a few years reading the history of computers..
Windows != anything close to Unix. As for Unix being the mother of all OS's no there were a bunch before it, it's old but there have been a lot of OS's before it.

As for whatever you are claiming is safer than Linux.. ummm really I don't know what you are talking about.. this has to be a joke right?

Anyhow whatever API or OS one uses if it works cool if it doesn't heh. Well you tried :) How is that? :) This is not a religious war it's merely using your head and thinking things through. MS is not the devil but they aren't out to help you any either.

I'm sure you can understand that, if not well it's just like your OS not working ;)

Cyb

Doomulation

MS might very well be the devil. Do you know what they're trying to do? Read about their "so coming newest os"? If not, then see to it, and you'll see the real ms.

Cyberman

Doomulation said:
MS might very well be the devil. Do you know what they're trying to do? Read about their "so coming newest os"? If not, then see to it, and you'll see the real ms.

Well with any company they want more than they can have and if you don't stop them they'll try and take it :)

Yes I do.. Bill Gates has been recently quoted as saying "We are seeing the bluring of the Application and the Operating system..."

Of course this means they want to eliminate 3rd party vendors for software completely.

Also look at the latest trend of MS notice the amount of hardware they are making.. it's done purposefully because they also want to own the machine you are using to lock you into buy only there stuff.

Anyhow.. enough MS bashing.. personally they aren't at fault.. we are, because we allowed them to become the monster they are. Just as much as they decided to become it :)

Cyb

M

Mike_PJMaster

I think everyone should really calm down. Personally, I too like Glide 64 better :). But Jabo's is also a very nice system. I don't know too much about other cards, but I also hate Win XP (too many bugs and incompatibility) and myself use Win 98, although I am gettting Me soon. :thumbsup: Anyway, personally I think its just whatever plugins suits your needs. My computer is of the slower type, as you can see, and Jabo runs like crap. Glide, however, is almost the same or faster fps and speed as a real n64! So, whatever floats your boat!.

My Specs: :)
AMD K6-2 500Mhz
Stealth III S540 32 Mb
Monster II (voodoo 2)
Project 64 1.5
320 Mb Ram
Win 98
Tweaked to Capacity ;)

:pj64:

Doomulation

A hint dude, don't get ME! It sucks more than xp in terms of bugs. Also, many games and emulator (well, at least emulators) run bad on that os.

Cyberman

From what I understand ME is win 98 updated so that it will run less software (older). The reason is they wanted people to buy new software, because there 'current' software wouldn't be as compatible or work as well. However ME did add a larger internal memory support than 98 (98 supports upto 128M cleanly) ME supports 512M cleanly. By cleanly I mean it doesn't have weird problems if you have more than that. I have 192M and windows gets it's hangups with memory allocation. Essentially it ignores > 128M but it still thinks it's there.. so it runs out of resources a lot (mumble).

Cyb

Trotterwatch

Essentially it ignores > 128M but it still thinks it's there.. so it runs out of resources a lot

I thought the maximum Win98 could use was 512 before memory allocation errors (using the conservativeswapfileusage command). Regardless I do know that resource errors have nothing at all to do with amount of installed memory, in all Win9x OSs, you have a fixed 64k stack for resources - no more and no less.

Doomulation

Afaik, me is a lott buggier than win98. If memory problems is at your shoulder, get winxp. The best solution.

linker

Emutalk Member
I don't know how can you compare the win9x kernel with the NT one. NT is much more safer, more stable. Yes, until xp compatibility with different applications wasn't as win9x, but now...
Win98 (and winme) are the most buggy oses ever created. Can you work on your computer 1 day without restarting it at least 3 times? Explorer hangs... windows hangs, windows starts but after 3 mins you see that blue screen saying there is an ... ecological problem in Afganistan.
WinXP haven't hanged for 6 months on my computer. Considering the fact that I haven't restarted my computer for 3weeks, well, I don't know what to add. And, if you don't like the new graphics style... just turn it off.

Laahel

well for me it's even worse, i have 758 Mb of ram ans sometimes won98se doesn't want to boot.... and when it boots, directx won't work ( exept for the tests... ), so, no more games ( all failled to initialise direct 3d :/ )

so i swithc to win 2k and no more problem !! ( i even found drivers for all my "old" material ( web cam and dxr2 ))

win2k is a pretty stable one too ... ( and i havent installed a service pack yet...) ;p

Mingo3k

Mingspeed!
Woooo 80th post :D
Why dont we all be happy and use Windows 1.0!!
probably the most bug free, fit on a floppy disk,
and probably took up 700kb on your harddrive!
:baaa: xp works great here,
as a part time webserver and kaillera server (very very part time) lol :saint: