What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

Is it posible...

sonic3d

F-Zero Hi-Res
Ok I want to make a Hi-Res texture pack whats the highest resolution posible for any texture? I was hoping for 1024x1024 the normal hi-res size... if anyones knows would be greatly apreciated! Oh and im new this is my first post btw! The game im working on is zelda Oot umm currently im working on thos cg scenes like the town. =) Thanks in advance!

ctatumt

With Mudlord's rice plugin you can scale textures up to 64X! Thats pretty ridiculous but I guess can be useful? I'm not sure what textures you're workin with but they're most likely 32X32 so yeah mudlord's will allow you to upscale your textures up to 1024X1024. Anywho you can find mudlord's plugin and other info here: https://ricevideo.bountysource.com/downloads

Good luck! :)

Last edited:

gitech

N64 Artist
It depends on what the original texture size is. ie...32x32, 64x64,32x64 ect...

I am not sure of the maximum but I have made Castlevania LOD like this for example:

Mostly: 32x32 and 64x64 are retextured at 512x512.
Some: at 1024x1024 like all the main parts of True Dracula.
When absolutely needed: 2048x2048 and 4096x4096.

The only texture in my LOD pack that is 4096x4096 is the ground under the bonfire during the ending scene for Cornell.

As for the town/static backgrounds in OOT...I am not sure but I would guess that they are made up of several tiles. This is good news for you as you could make each piece very large ie...1024x1024 or 1024x2048 or whatever dimension they happen to be... 'know what I mean?

Well, welcome to emutalk!

Have fun! :)

Note: MRV loads textures in real time during play so the larger the textures are the more "stuttering" you will have when they are loading and the worse slowdown will be if you have a CRC (?) issue with certain textures...I really wish this issue would be addressed. (Hint hint... ;) :) )

Last edited:
OP
S

sonic3d

F-Zero Hi-Res
Alright thanks guys! So the max size depends on the min size? and say i have a 64x64 texture i scaled it up to 1024x1024 then used it with this hi-res pack i downloaded but it didnt show up any clues? All i did was scale the image i didnt touch the name or anything.... and the only error ive got was from rice video plugin something about acces memory violation or to full lol but my n64 runs at 75+fps so i shouldnt have any slowdowns with hi quality textures! i think... And I tryed that EasyCombiner plugin thing for PhotoShop but i keep getting errors is there a tool that will combine all the small textures together? (know what i mean?) lol i spent 2 days putting the town puzzle together! O_O boring... and a pain. if i have 50 or so 32x64 textures can i scale each to maybe 128x256 each? and have good quality or would 256x512 be better? seeing as how its a major level i guess... heres some crap i threw together...

im0xv9.jpg

Pietschie

I think scaling textures to 32x the size or even bigger is pretty useless because while playing you won't see most of those textures close enough anyway. Even on a monitor with a width of 2000px or more the texture had to fill the hole screen to see all the details. It's a waste of PC resources. Scaling your textures depends on how they are displayed in the game. If the texture takes up a lot of space at a wall in the game for example, scaling it huge makes sense. If it's a small texture in the game anyway which you don't see very close, making it enormous doesn't make much sense.

The scaled size depends on the original texture. So if you have a texture that is 32x64 for example its like this:
4x the size: 32x4 = 128px in width, 64x4 = 256px in height so the new size would be 128x256
8x the size would be 256x512
32x the size would be 1024x2058
and so on ...

gitech

N64 Artist
A couple of reasons a texture may not show up in game:

1. It depends on the original size. ie: if the original is 48x48 then you still need to make it 2x, 4x, 8x, and so on. in this case that would be 96x96, 192x192, 384x384....be careful to notice the original pixel dimensions. I've even seen odd original texture sizes like 64x37!

2. Make sure to "Merge Visible" then save if you are using Photoshop.

3. You got a bad duplicate dump: Look for another texture that looks the same with a different file name and try that one. Also note that changing settings in MRV will cause textures to dump with different names so the more settings you change and your still dumping, the more duplicates you will get...and the textures that dump with the different settings will only show in game with the exact settings that they were dumped with. TMEM emulation and Alternative texture size calculation are two of the main settings that will cause this.

Read these before you go any further:

Mostly points #4-9 here: http://www.emuxhaven.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6741&highlight=ricevideo
Post #197-200 here: http://www.emutalk.net/showthread.php?t=43535&page=20

Good luck and have fun. :)

Pietschie

2. Make sure to "Merge Visible" then save if you are using Photoshop.

merging the layers is not necessary because bmp and png doesn't support layers anyway
when saving pictures containing layers they automatically get merged

gitech

N64 Artist
merging the layers is not necessary because bmp and png doesn't support layers anyway
when saving pictures containing layers they automatically get merged

Ummm...I just went to check that. I went to PS (I already had it open to a texture that I was working on) and tried to Ctrl-S without doing "Merge Visible" first and the Save As screen comes up with the only save option as a .psd. Just like I thought. ;)

Am I missing something? I have had to "Merge Visible" for over 3000 textures so far in order to save them as .png's for my Castlevania LOD pack. :)

Pietschie

Ummm...I just went to check that. I went to PS (I already had it open to a texture that I was working on) and tried to Ctrl-S without doing "Merge Visible" first and the Save As screen comes up with the only save option as a .psd. Just like I thought. ;)

Am I missing something? I have had to "Merge Visible" for over 3000 textures so far in order to save them as .png's for my Castlevania LOD pack. :)

what Ps do you use?
I always leave all the layers like they are and then do the same. But in the save screen I can choose from like 20 or more formats (psd, png, bmp and so on). Then after saving it I can work on with all the layers still in my file or back it up as a psd if I didn't already.
I worked with Photoshop CS, CS2 and CS3, all of them should be able to do so.

gitech

N64 Artist
I've got CS3 Extended v10.0.1

I have seen the drop down list for save as types before...now it will not expand...hmmm...I think I have a small problem. I even closed and re-opened PS and it didn't help. Any advice?

Pietschie

Then there must be something wrong with your Photoshop installation. Maybe the installation is corrupted or not finished. The directory of the file formats is within the Photoshop folder in Plugins/File Formats. There you should find files like BMP.8BI, Png.8bi and so on. Reinstallation should fix the problem.

OP
S

sonic3d

F-Zero Hi-Res
lol i always merge layers anyway.

What does TMEM do? i never messed with it... All i know is somthing about rice plugin has a bug and that i should leave it on does that mean i need to redump?

I didnt know textures dumped with different names! that could be my problem.

So 8x textures would be alright for somthing like this? Thants what ill do then.

I was wondering after I redo the texture and get it the size I need can i just place it in the hi-res folder or is there another way to go about it?

Im using Project64 btw is there a way to dump models? I have 3D ripper DX but it doesnt seam to work with anything... and ive tryed other stuff! and the NEmu system doesnt work for some reason.

Oh and yeah that happend to my photoshop before i think i had erased some of the plugins or somthing cuze i downloaded some extra plugins i didnt like, so yeah reinstall should fix.

And is there anything to put all the little textures together? I got around 455 pieces now... lol

And thanks guys for the help!

Last edited:

Datadayne

I wouldn't recommend scaling the resolution too high. Ive experimented with all the texture sizes possible 16x (Rice 1.3) and usually if you've got yourself a small texture and scale it higher than 8x the resolution, you will see that your texture is very grainy rather than detailed. There is really no reason to go beyond 8x the resolution size, unless you have fairly big textures that wont result in graininess when rescaled.

Datdayne

gitech

N64 Artist
Yep, re-dumping now with TMEM "on" would be good as you are just starting out.

8x average is good. Of coarse use your judgment on texture size for how each one is used in game. ie: If it is a large/stretched wall or floor make it big to get the detail you want. But, note this: Look out for too much fine detail of large shade differences. What I mean is...take grass for example...say there's light green and dark green/black pixels right next to each other in the texture. When at a medium to far distance or angle to the camera it will look worse because of too much detail. (ie: Grainy) What I do to combat this is to asses the distance in game that a texture becomes too small and/or is at a great enough angle (like grass on the ground) that it starts to pixelate randomly/become grainy. Then I go back onto PS and set Gaussian Blur to a value of "2" and repeat it (Ctrl-F) 1 to 10 times for a 512x512 texture so that the colors get blurred edges just enough that the texture looks good near and far in game. The key is to get it so that it looks great up close but also pushes the threshold of over detail pixelation back away from the camera enough that it becomes less noticeable/acceptable.

For instance, during the ending scene of the grassy hill/grave site for Carrie (and Reinhardt) in Castlevania LOD I have a grass texture at 256x256 right next to a dirt road texture that is at 2048x2048. Why? Because it looks best that way. Make sense? Not really but after 10's of tries this is what came out looking the best because...two reasons:

1. The camera gets VERY close to the dirt road and the grass is always far from the camera.
2. The dirt road has very little color variation but the grass has very light and very dark greens. Making the grass look better at a lower resolution and blurrier.

As for your dump. First thing you should do is make absolutely sure you have the best settings in MRV before you dump anything and not change settings after you begin dumping. If you already need to and you have just started out...I would delete your dump folder and start again after you have discovered the best settings. You could ask here for the best settings to save yourself some time. I bet Djipi knows. ;)

As for a place to put your hires textures...read this, post 301: http://www.emutalk.net/showthread.php?t=26442&page=31

And for how to organize them, Download my WIP texture pack for LOD and study how I organized the textures into folders here: http://www.emutalk.net/showthread.php?t=43535

I also have created a tutorial thread at HH that you may get some good ideas from. It is still new and very incomplete but your welcome to check it out. Once it is better I will be mirroring it here at ET as well: Making Hi-res Textures...community tutorial thread

:)

Last edited:
OP
S

sonic3d

F-Zero Hi-Res
Thanks guys!!! lol that helps alot! and that castlevania thing is sweet good job!

One more question i dont understand completly the reason why the textures are exported several times like theres 5 folders

ci_bmp
ci_bmp_with_pal_crc
ci_by_png
Png_all
Png_by_rgb_a

does it matter which folder i get my textures from? lol

I want to do some hi-res and some cell shaded textures for the cg areas in the game.

Datadayne

Thanks guys!!! lol that helps alot! and that castlevania thing is sweet good job!

One more question i dont understand completly the reason why the textures are exported several times like theres 5 folders

ci_bmp
ci_bmp_with_pal_crc
ci_by_png
Png_all
Png_by_rgb_a

does it matter which folder i get my textures from? lol

I want to do some hi-res and some cell shaded textures for the cg areas in the game.

Only retexture from these folders:
ci_by_png
Png_all
Png_by_rgb_a

The others contain bmp files that rice does not emulate and is a memory waster.

OP
S

sonic3d

F-Zero Hi-Res
ok cuze thats the ones i use anyway...

heres my first atempt at cell shading lol crap i know once agian. iv never done this before so yeah i think i got some of the colors wrong but hopefuly it will spark someones intrest. =) I know for a fact thers an easyer way to do it and i just havent came across it yet...

331p2kn.jpg

Last edited:

Datadayne

Im definitely interested. But if your going to retexture this completely cellshaded, then I would suggest a different game, Djipi already has a cellshaded pack 95% completed.

Datadayne

OP
S

sonic3d

F-Zero Hi-Res
I didnt think he did the town section... oh well. um since this game is mostly complete whats a good game to work on?

has anyone done anything for F-zero? Jet Force Gemini? (I love that game) what about starfox? idk any really good games besides thos...

gitech

N64 Artist
I'd hate to speak for Djipi and I don't know if he has done the static backgrounds but you could ask and maybe you could help him get them done. ;) (if they aren't done already)

F-zero would be easy and JFG would be hard. Both are good and don't have others working on them. Starfox 64 has been done. (really well BTW)

Check out MasterPhW's thread in the sticky's to see what games have been worked on and such...here: http://www.emutalk.net/showthread.php?t=42231

PS: an addition to my earlier post...I also will adjust brightness/contrast/hue/saturation ect...to reduce over detail graininess. Also, in certain circumstances instead of making a texture smaller to reduce detail I will leave it at 512x512 but blur it even more to reduce (detail) but at the same time not look lo-res pixelated up close. An FPS is a good application of this were you will often be smack against the textures.