What's new

IE vs Mozilla Debate (from GTA3 + VC on XBox)

Trotterwatch

I use Firebird and it really is genuinely faster at page loading over IE6. Emutalk is a chore sometimes to browse on a 56k, - I like opening many pages at once. On IE I just can't, the whole schebang will slow down to a crawl.

Firebird handles this situation with aplomb. It also has tabbed browsing which I use constantly. IE annoys me also by constantly resizing the window so that it is one notch below maximised. It does this on both mine , my GFs and my old machine.... so it's definately a bug of some type :)

Stezo2k

S-2K
Trotterwatch said:
I use Firebird and it really is genuinely faster at page loading over IE6. Emutalk is a chore sometimes to browse on a 56k, - I like opening many pages at once. On IE I just can't, the whole schebang will slow down to a crawl.

Firebird handles this situation with aplomb. It also has tabbed browsing which I use constantly. IE annoys me also by constantly resizing the window so that it is one notch below maximised. It does this on both mine , my GFs and my old machine.... so it's definately a bug of some type :)

yeh i love firebird, IE can be very annoying, and is very vunrable to security holes etc, ok firebird is a lil slower to load up than IE, but its worth it, reason why IE can be faster cuz its built into the OS, but if it crashes so does the OS until it loads explorer again, annoying

OP
AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Yeah, speak of vulnerabilities, theres a big one right now for IE, all you have to do is open a certain type of jpeg file on the internet, and your computer is infected with a virus that wipes out a big number of your system files, as well as ruining your registry, requiring a complete (read, non repairable) reinstall of windows. So far we are on day 3 of this exploit, and no patch yet.

http://charmy.tky.hut.fi/brit.txt

Happy surfing, IE users :D Enjoy the wonders of ActiveX.

Mozilla just sees that the jpeg is invalid, and doesn't even try to load it.

Last edited:

Hyper19s

Banned
and how do you know about this virus alphawolf
ahh you created it didnt you!!!

or are you the victim of the attack?? thats got to suck alphawolf

EDIT/ if i dare to click on that link of yours will i get the virus??hhmmm?

im not actually going to do it and not that stupid like some people are
*coughs*!!!

;) :stupid:

Last edited:
OP
AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
hypershadow1 said:
and how do you know about this virus alphawolf
ahh you created it didnt you!!!

or are you the victim of the attack?? thats got to suck alphawolf

EDIT/ if i dare to click on that link of yours will i get the virus??hhmmm?

im not actually going to do it and not that stupid like some people are
*coughs*!!!

;) :stupid:

That link is not the worm itself, rather it provides a detailed explanation of the worm, notice its just a text file (then again, how long until text files are exploited in IE? :D ). It does give a reference to the actual worm itself if you look in the hex dump mentioned, and loading that jpeg image with mozilla (the only browser I use), will not do anything (and yes, I did try this).

Also note that your virus scanners won't do anything about this either. Ironic it is how I never use any anti-virus software, nor any firewall software, and I have not seen one exploit/virus hit my systems in over 6 years, yet people who run this type of software run into these problems all the time. :D

Last edited:

Allnatural

AlphaWolf said:
Ironic it is how I never use any anti-virus software, nor any firewall software, and I have not seen one exploit/virus hit my systems in over 6 years, yet people who run this type of software run into these problems all the time. :D
Sing it brother. I don't use that crap either. :cool:

Hyper19s

Banned
i cant remember the last time i used my virus scan
3 years mabey??? well any way i still dont open
attachments from emails. thats it, you dont need the software just dont open attachments and files
you dont know.so that makes 3 of us that dont use virus scanners huh???

I dont think ive had a virus on a machine ive owned since my celly 400, noticed something else as well, images appear to be different sizes in firebird depending on the web page formatting.. even when you compare how they view in an app like photoshop..

they made it a nice enough exe, and for forum browsing i cant deny its excellence, but for page display i still think it has some way to go..as ive said already, when it does that, ill make the jump and uninstall IE

Hyper19s

Banned
uninstall ie can you even do that without breaking
the OS???

the version that came with your OS cant be installed correct???

OP
AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
hypershadow1 said:
uninstall ie can you even do that without breaking
the OS???

Thats pretty much why IE is so much easier of an exploit target. All somebody has to do is look for a flaw in one of the several different API languages that IE uses, and they get instant root (or "administrator") access to your system. (.net is quickly becoming another big potential exploit, once more people start installing it, hence another reason I don't want to install it on my own system, on top of the fact that its useless to me)

The only way you can possibly do something like this with mozilla is maybe through a buffer overflow in one of its content handlers, and that would have to be while you are running as administrator.

The Khan Artist

Warrior for God
hypershadow1 said:
did some testing with mozilla .turns out
that some pages i cant see them at all
part of www.newegg.com didnt work for me
but did work in ie 6sp1.
also one page of nintendo.com didnt work
either this was the sonic heroes page in the master
game list for those who know what im talking about!!!

Well, I don't expect ActiveX controls to work in Firebird, so I'm not disappointed. Simple.

However, I have had no problems whatsoever with NewEgg. What is broken for you?

Also, the Sonic Heroes page (http://nintendo.com/games/gamepage/gamepage_main.jsp?gameId=1811) works fine.

As for load times, on first loads IE takes about 3 seconds to load for me, and Firebird ~7. On subsequent loadings, IE and Firebird are the same at ~2 seconds. Load times have been much improved since 0.6, and are also much better than Mozilla (1.5 is ~15 seconds on my PC). For comparison, Photoshop 7.0.1 takes me about 11 seconds to load.

All this is using the Firebird 0.7 installer version (yes, there is one) from http://seb.mozdev.org/

Last edited:
OP
AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
The Khan Artist said:
Well, I don't expect ActiveX controls to work in Firebird, so I'm not disappointed. Simple.

ActiveX kinda sucks anyways, its only usefull purpose these days is for spyware and exploits.

..active x sucks, but insdutry are using aspX quite heavily.. its just a shame microsoft try to re-invent the wheel their way everytime they face a challenege and fill their wheel with bugs every time

OP
AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Not realy from what I have seen. Most sites I see these days don't even touch ASP. If they want meta content generation, they use PHP far more often. Cost is a huge factor in this...say for example if martin wanted to use ASP instead of PHP, it would probably cost thousands more (and thats without even considering the hardware upgrades that would be required) and ASP offers little to no advantages over PHP.

OP
AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
IIRC, ASPX is both HTML and activex content generation, which essentialy means its a whole different monster. The only site I think I have ever seen to use this is gator (a while ago, haven't looked in over a year), and why gator loves activex already goes without saying.

I think its safe to say that everything activex is already in decline. The reason why is because microsoft has said themselves that they will no longer be making the classic "internet explorer", and that from now on, internet explorer will only be made as a part of windows. Which basically means this: If you are a web admin, and you want your site to work for mac users (especialy if your an online merchant), then avoid activex like the plague.

Last edited:
Theres a key thing here though, the whole .NET studio with its c# etc, its trying to be java but a full enterprise solution at the same time. Connecting to everything using xml, and doing it in a java like way.

I agree fully about PHP being vastly superior, but so was betamax..

OP
AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
sytaylor said:
Theres a key thing here though, the whole .NET studio with its c# etc, its trying to be java but a full enterprise solution at the same time. Connecting to everything using xml, and doing it in a java like way.

I agree fully about PHP being vastly superior, but so was betamax..

Mono does everything that .net does, to include ASP.NET

And betamax failed because it was a proprietary standard, and costed more. ASP is a proprietary standard and costs more, whereas PHP is more like VHS in that respect :D Not to mention that it already holds 64% of the market, whereas ASP is only 32% (saw these figures somewhere a while back, could dig up the source if you want me to)

Last edited:
no no i beleive you on the php thing, i just think its wrong to assume that nobody uses something because the majority dont, thatts all