What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

hi rez textures support and detail texturing!

Mika'El

I would just be happy to see more work on N64 emulation to actually emulate the games accurately... I mean Gamecube and Xbox emulation is moving faster than N64 emulation and I think that's rediculous.

olivieryuyu

Mika'El said:
I would just be happy to see more work on N64 emulation to actually emulate the games accurately... I mean Gamecube and Xbox emulation is moving faster than N64 emulation and I think that's rediculous.

nope it's not ridiculous, it's completely normal.A lot of things have already been made and the rest is extremely hard to do, so it will take time.

See how a long time was needed to see a perfect snes emulator

it's only recently that Star Ocean is playable without a hack.

OP
H

hurleybird

Mika'El said:

Well, most of the work would be making the textures, and artwork and programming are completley different, so having people make textures isnt going to slow down the development of N64 emulation in other areas.

Nice to see my two year old thread revived :p

NeoNight

I'd love to see this done for games like conker and smashbros and maybe zelda (or at least smash bros since that would probably be an easy game to do).

Rice

Emulator Developer
Is there anyone who would like to practice the fun of manual texture enhancement?

See textures dumpped from Zelda OOT in the attached RAR file. You can pick some of the textures and work on them. For example, the letter A or Z textures. Some textures have both RGB channel and alpha channel. RGB channel and alpha channel are saved into separated files, with the similar filenames.

- Don't try to work on a lot of ones. You want to pick the important ones. If you play Zelda OOT a lot, you should recognize the textures and make judgement which texture is more important than others.
- Double, triple, or 4 times the original images size. Don't try other image sizes.
- Save your new images into a different folder and keep the filename unchanged
- If a texture has the alpha channel, you need also work on the alpha channel image
- You don't have to finish many of them. You can just do a few and send me your new images. I will try to load them in my new plugin and post the result for you as new screen shots. I might give you my new plugin later and let you see the result of your own new texture right away (after I debug and make sure the whole thing working).

- Always try to work in the BMP format. Unless for the large textures (larger than 128x128), don't save as JPG or GIF format because you will lose texture details by such compression. Then compress all your new images into a single RAR or ZIP file.
- When you try to show your work in the thread, save your new images into JPG or GIF. Don't upload non compressed BMP files onto EmuTalk.

I hope we will see a reloaded Zelda OOT soon.

Rice

EDIT #1: Attachments are removed because the plugin has been released officially.

Last edited:

roxoxx

textures

I think that for now it's better to have a 100% working and compatible emulator
(when 1964 1.0???) and plugins (when direct64 0.6 or new Glide?? - sorry but for my radeon 9000 M your plugin is'nt working very well-).
when we will have a perfect basic-emulation of N64 hardware (and a full working frame buffer too), then will be possible to do a "cosmetic" work!!
Thanx !!

SWAT_Marc

Ind. Design Student
Just playing a bit with the ocarina of time.

Please give your opinion about them and tell me what should be modified to fit better in the pseudo-remake.

Thanks ;)

Last edited:

Rice

Emulator Developer
Look great. Please also save your new images in BMP format, and ZIP/RAR all your new BMP files and attach the ZIP/RAR file.

Rice

Emulator Developer
DirectX cannot save textures into either PNG or TGA.

BMP format is actually the only option I have, unless I write or find some texture2file saving routine myself.

I am not sure that TGA format supports alpha channel. Or even it does, how would you work on the alpha channel of an image in your photoshop or some other image processing softwares. I bet you can, but I haven't done it yet.

So I have separated files for RGB and alpha of the same texture. I don't think it is so bad an idea. Of course I need combine them together when I load the image files into the plugin.

About saving DirectX or OpenGL textures to TGA or PNG with alpha channel, if you have more information or sample code, please let me know.

Last edited:
I just noticed that the alpha channels are seperate images so we might as well stick to bmp as the files are listed, I'd like to vote that we redo textures at 4x standard, this way the Ocarina for example will go from 32x32 to 128x128 which is much more reasonable, the highest res textures like backgrounds from the castle will from 64x32 to 256x128 which isnt too high for most cards

SWAT_Marc

Ind. Design Student
By the way... there are some textures I can't even figure out where they came from. I'll start with the texts, which are the easier ones.

SWAT_Marc

Ind. Design Student
Here is the first pack. It contains several key bitmaps in the game such as several menu buttons and titles at four times their original size.

Please, it'd be great if you could post some preview pics of the game running with the new textures, as well as motivating :blush:

If the bitmaps needed some retouching tell me.

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
Another really interesting thing would be to convert some images of wind waker textures to the Oot ones and replace them... let's see...