What's new

Help me to choose a card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokemoner

aka Saiko..
Hi all...After a lot of proofs that made me believe that my GeForce 4 mx440
is the biggest Peace of Junk i've ever got...I thought a lot about changing my card..so,I went to find that I have Money to buy 1 of 3:
1-ATI Readon 9000SE
2-ATI Hercules(I think that is the name)9000
3-GeForce FX 5200
I ask u ,friends,to give me advice..Whats the best..or should I wait until I get money to buy something better???
Thanx

LazerTag

Leap of Faith
Save your money a bit longer is my opinion.

None of the cards you listed will be any real noticable jump from what you already have. You may gain a bit of eye candy with one of those newr cards, but doubtful any real speed increase. And the 9000 series cards may actually be slower!

From http://users.erols.com/chare/video.htm here is the spot in their list that shows the relative performance rankings of the cards you are listing. These are shown from worst to better.

Radeon 9000
GF4 MX440
GF2 Ultra
GF4 MX460
Radeon 9600SE
GF FX 5200

Check it out yourself. Good luck in your furture purchase as well.

sheik124

Emutalk Member
lol, i knew the 9x00SE series suxxored so much where they wallowed down at the south end, if you just HAD to buy now, i'd say go for the FX 5200 cause all of those seem worse than what you have, or if you live here in the states i could sell you my GeForce FX 5700 with all of the documentation, all the software (i haven't used any so the licenses are still useable), and the box (duh!) for 100 bux, its a Gigabyte built card, and has 128 MB of ram, considering new ones go for about 140 thats a pretty good deal for something i have been using for about a month or so

OP
Pokemoner

Pokemoner

aka Saiko..
Actually I live in Egypt(Bad thing we cannot communicate easily)..But why do u want to buy it?are u want to get a better card..As for the cards that I mentioned,seems that I will get a Geforce Fx 5200..cuz I got mad from that MX card..It cannot run new games cuz of the DAMN shaders(such as Splinter Cell 2,Prince of Persia Sands of Time,Gladiator and more)..Games such as BattleField Veitnam is really slow at high Grafics and resolution..
And hey..The most important thing in the card is the box :)

sheik124

Emutalk Member
ah, masri eh? :) well i know pretty good arabic so we can communicate easily but that isn't the point, the reason i want to sell it is i never really bought this card to keep, i bought it to chuck in my new pc i built till i can get a 5900, its fast and everything, i just can't cope with not having the best, if they have the GeForce FX 5500's in Egypt now they are pretty good for their value, they pretty much OWN the FX 5200 in terms of speed and image quality, and besides, if you did decide to get the card from me, i could always ship it to egypt

OP
Pokemoner

Pokemoner

aka Saiko..
sheik124 said:
ah, masri eh? :) well i know pretty good arabic so we can communicate easily but that isn't the point, the reason i want to sell it is i never really bought this card to keep, i bought it to chuck in my new pc i built till i can get a 5900, its fast and everything, i just can't cope with not having the best, if they have the GeForce FX 5500's in Egypt now they are pretty good for their value, they pretty much OWN the FX 5200 in terms of speed and image quality, and besides, if you did decide to get the card from me, i could always ship it to egypt
What u dont know that I am a student at Fuculty of medecine..My exams begins next week and it ends about 2 months or something(damn thats unfair)..So I think its too diffecult to be free this time..But really if u can get the card here I will buy it immediately.I still dont know how u can ship it here but seems u r Pro in this..U also can contact me at [email protected]..

Xade

Irrelevant Insight
Never a GFX5200. Ever. I have one in one of my machines and it's a pile of hot, steaming irrelevant shit. Do yourself a favour. You'll only make yourself cry with one, knowing that 800x600, 16-bit is THE limit for modern-day gaming. Unless you've got like a P4 3.4GHz. But even then...

khanmeister

Banned
It's not so bad. Not what I would *buy*, but I got one for free and it performs on par with an old geforce 3, which are decent cards for most tasks. If you are out shopping, though, it's worth an extra $50 get something alot nicer.

OP
Pokemoner

Pokemoner

aka Saiko..
khanmeister said:
It's not so bad. Not what I would *buy*, but I got one for free and it performs on par with an old geforce 3, which are decent cards for most tasks. If you are out shopping, though, it's worth an extra $50 get something alot nicer.
Yes,man..I found that I can get a new ATI Readon 9200 now..[Yep,I got extra money and the card's price went cheaper :)]Shall I get it???I think its moooore better than FX5200..

Clements

Not by all that much. Also you sacrifice features for speed that way (9200 is a DX8.1 card, FX 5200 is a DX9 card.) so things like Dolphin and DX9 games will look bad. I'd wait for at least a Radeon 9600 np or FX 5600 if you want good speed since they are mainstream rather than cheap budget cards.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Clements said:
Not by all that much. Also you sacrifice features for speed that way (9200 is a DX8.1 card, FX 5200 is a DX9 card.) so things like Dolphin and DX9 games will look bad. I'd wait for at least a Radeon 9600 np or FX 5600 if you want good speed since they are mainstream rather than cheap budget cards.

Eh, you actually classify the 5200 as a DX9 card?

If anything DX9 is run on that thing, you get a single digit frame rate. What a useful feature. That's SO worth having, and will DEFINITELY make a huge difference!

Added: Even EIDOS agree that the 5200 isn't really worth using DX9 on - Tomb Raider AOD defaults to PS2.0 OFF for all 5200 cards. Every GFFX above that, as well as ALL of the R3x0 Radeons default to PS2.0 ON.

OP
Pokemoner

Pokemoner

aka Saiko..
I think I MUST choose one of those two:FX5200 and Readon 9200..So which is better??
I heared that FX5200 isnt more than a Geforce Mx with more features like shaders and DX9..But I cant tell anything about Readon cuz actually I always prefer Nvidia to ATI.....

gokuss4

Meh...
radeon 9200 and gffx 5200 are about the same, unless you get a gffx 5200 ultra which is better than the 9200 by a bit...but if i were you i would get the 9200, or try for a gffx 5600 at the least, or you could always try for a radeon 9500 at the minimum for an ati card.

Last edited:

milen

If you can find radeon9100 better than 9200 and gf5200(shit) it's best choice for your money. Next best choice is Geforce4ti - the best Nvidia card. About 90$ in Bulgaria.

OP
Pokemoner

Pokemoner

aka Saiko..
milen said:
If you can find radeon9100 better than 9200 and gf5200(shit) it's best choice for your money. Next best choice is Geforce4ti - the best Nvidia card. About 90$ in Bulgaria.
Unfortunately Geforce 4 ti price here in Egypt is twice of Fx5200 & readon9200{I thought about it before Fx & Readon but its too expensive here :(}but I think I wont find Radeon9100 easily but I will search..

rcgamer

the old guy
I hear this all the time in this forum about how bad the fx 5200 is . and i just dont see it. ive played quite a few of the newer games and it performs just fine. and i use direct x 9.
The fact is that if you look on the recommended stats for a lot of these newer games then you would have to have a top of the line pc just to play them. so if your trying to get the new ut 2004 to play at its highest level . dont stick a geforce 5200 in a pc with p3 and blame the card when it runs like crap. ive played lock on with my card and while yes because my pc is not a 4 ghz monster i had to turn down some features , it ran just fine. Bottom line is , if you have the cash to spend go with something in the top of the line. and if you dont then get a 5200. I have yet to not be able to play a game because of it.

Xade

Irrelevant Insight
Speaking of graphics cards here, has anybody heard much about the nVidia NV40 chipset?

I'm just, y'know, a little pissed off that my £370 graphics card has just been rendered obsolete in one fell swoop. Ahhhh well. I only hope that the 5900 Ultra isn't slaughtered by what's around the corner, because it would be a little bit of a kick in the teeth, so to speak.

As for the poor bastards who bought 5800s back last year... christ...

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
rcgamer said:
I hear this all the time in this forum about how bad the fx 5200 is . and i just dont see it. ive played quite a few of the newer games and it performs just fine. and i use direct x 9.
The fact is that if you look on the recommended stats for a lot of these newer games then you would have to have a top of the line pc just to play them. so if your trying to get the new ut 2004 to play at its highest level . dont stick a geforce 5200 in a pc with p3 and blame the card when it runs like crap. ive played lock on with my card and while yes because my pc is not a 4 ghz monster i had to turn down some features , it ran just fine. Bottom line is , if you have the cash to spend go with something in the top of the line. and if you dont then get a 5200. I have yet to not be able to play a game because of it.

My friend Torque just got a brand new PC with an Athlon 64 3200+, 512MB RAM, and a GeForce FX 5200.

I have an 800MHz P3 with 256MB single-channel DRDRAM.

His system ran Serious Sam: SE almost exactly the same speed as my Kyro II did back when I had that card.

That's fucking sad.

Edit: Oh, and it looked almost exactly the same. The Kyro had less anisotropic filtering, but the FX had somewhat duller textures.

Clements

Tagrineth said:
Eh, you actually classify the 5200 as a DX9 card?

If anything DX9 is run on that thing, you get a single digit frame rate. What a useful feature. That's SO worth having, and will DEFINITELY make a huge difference!

Added: Even EIDOS agree that the 5200 isn't really worth using DX9 on - Tomb Raider AOD defaults to PS2.0 OFF for all 5200 cards. Every GFFX above that, as well as ALL of the R3x0 Radeons default to PS2.0 ON.

I had emulation in mind which is less GPU intensive (so won't be single digit frames), but requires the added features = Dolphin and Pete's OpenGL2 which the FX 5200 capable of but the 9200 isn't since it lacks any DX9 features because it is a castrated 8500 card that I never even consider a card worth buying. Tagrineth's 9500 Pro will kick most crap around inc. the 5200. But the 5200 offers much better value for money for games that are out right now.. Not everyone can afford such a powerful card or have need of one since not everybody is a graphics whore - they just want games to run. There's usually the option to use 8.1 shaders instead which is much faster anyway.

...and that Ti 4200 is worth double the 5200 because it's twice as fast. It also lacks DX9 features though, but this time it's fast enough to be well worth it.

sheik124

Emutalk Member
i thought that the 5200 was the successor to the 4200, not something that is stomped on by it, so if you had to pick between those to you'd get the latter? personally i'd just go 5700 Non-Ultra, it pwnz in Halo w/2.0 Shaders FORCED ON via the -force20 parameter, it doesn't get slowed down, it still looks nicer than it does on the XBox, it still runs at 1024x768 with all the settings maxed out over 30 FPS at all times, with only 1.3 on, it can pull over 40 at all times, i don't know how it runs on Tagrineth's king of all cards 9500 Pro but i am happy where i am at, although i could use more juice and am probably going for a 5900XT and tossing this in an older box i have lying around.

Status
Not open for further replies.