What's new

Gfx Card Suggestions

GrafX

I want to buy a new gfx card for N64 emulation, but I don't know which one I should buy with my specs.I used to have a Nividia TNT M64 Pro and the emulation was good an most games. Any help is appreciated.

My specs:
Intel Pentium 3 @866
128mbs ram
20gb harddrive
Via Apolla Pro 133A motherboard
Soundblaster PCI 128
WinMe Os

gokuss4

Meh...
at least a geforce 2 mx obut you can try a geforce 2 gts pro 32mb but try for 64mb instead or just wait until the geforce 4 ti4200 comes out and get it for $200

SirLuck

Don't buy the Geforce 4 MX, I wasnt the least bit impressed...you might as well spend less on a Geforce 3..course Geforce 2 64 megabytes are dirt cheap right now.
You have to also mention a budget to get definitive answers, lol

OP
G

GrafX

Yeah, I really don't have a budget, but I don't want to take advantage ( because I am not paying for it ). But really with my specs do you think I should get a Geforce2 mx 400 64mb AGP? Because I have the same exact card but it is PCI instead of AGP, and any n64 rom constantly freezes( yes I checked them ) but it also freezes outside of emulation. I await anyones' and everyones' thoughts.

OP
G

GrafX

Oh yeah, PCI or Agp? What is the real difference and does it matter? If your computer came with on-board graphics card is an AGP, should you stick with AGP?

2fast4u

GrafX said:
Oh yeah, PCI or Agp? What is the real difference and does it matter? If your computer came with on-board graphics card is an AGP, should you stick with AGP?

agp is a faster bus, so if u got a slot to fit an agp card then buy one.

EdgeBlade

Brandonn
AGP is Advanced Graphic Port, it's made specfically for video cards. It is faster than PCI, but I'm not sure you'd be able to see the diffrence

B*A*G*G

Emutalk Member... sorta
GrafX said:
Yeah, I really don't have a budget, but I don't want to take advantage ( because I am not paying for it ).
well shit, if you're not paying for it then go out and get a geforce4 ti4600!
sometimes you just have to take advantage of other people to get what you need (thats what my mom always said:sly: ).

-geforce4 TI4600, because you're worth it!-

flow``

flow``
i was looking through my local best buy ad.. they have an ATI Radeon 8500 for $140+tax [it had a 100 buck rebate :0]

bestbuy.com if you want to check out the ad

OP
G

GrafX

They're all great suggestions, but which would be more compatible? AGP or PCI?

OP
G

GrafX

Come on all you AGP'ers you know, which has a higher compatibility rate? So far no one has said.

B*A*G*G

Emutalk Member... sorta
ive had no problems with my AGP compatability, its been the standard for all video cards for the past couple of years

Smiff

Emutalk Member
GrafX, listen up, before you replace your graphics card, the problem is most likely your mainboard. check chipset drivers.

OP
G

GrafX

I think I already did. But if I didn't where would I find them? And by chipset do you mean gfx?

Tk64

The Other Village Idiot
GF3 TI200 all the way!

The GF3-TI200 is what I'd tell anyone to use for N64 emus. My new one (AGP 4X) just kicks my old PCI TNT2 M64 into smithereens.

Of course, if your motherboard _only_ supports PCI cards, then chances are that it'll never run PJ64 at a really good speed. Virtually all new/good motherboards now have AGP 4X. If your motherboard only has PCI buses, don't bother getting a new video card. My TNT2 M64 PCI was being limited by the PCI bus speed, not the card itself.

In other words, either use your existing board and vidcard, or get a new Athlon XP / P4 and get a GF3-TI200.

MY GF3-TI200 responds very well to overclocking, and was dirt cheap as I bought it just when GF4-MXs hit the preorder market. 64 MB DDR rocks! :pj64:

On the other card options: I would stay well away from ATI for a while, as their cards are more expensive than GF3s and have glack performance, and also ATI cards usually cause big GFX glitches on these emus.

The GF3 Ti series is benchmarked to be faster than a GF4-MX, and the GF4 is a lot more expensive. Don't bother with a GF3 TI 500, they're too expensive and almost no improvement over the TI 200. GF4 TI series are WAY overpriced.

I wouldn't bother with a GF2 unless it's <$50.

The FIRST thing I'd do is find out if you have AGP slots, and if so what bus speed. (1x? 2x? 4x?) If you don't then get a new motherboard and buy a GF3.

pj64er

PJ64 Lubba
Re: GF3 TI200 all the way!

Tk64 said:
On the other card options: I would stay well away from ATI for a while, as their cards are more expensive than GF3s and have glack performance, and also ATI cards usually cause big GFX glitches on these emus.

i dont want to go into the whole nVidia vs ATi thing. but ATi's cards are just as good as nVidia's. i do hav an ATi card, i do not get big GFX errors.

and tk64, geforce4-mx is really geforce2. having a card that beats it is not something to boast about. Lesson: dont buy geforce4-mx.

whats a glack performance?;)