What's new

General PS3 thread

Falcon4ever

Plugin coder / Betatester
This thread is for the purpose of discussing interest in the PS3 ONLY.

If you don't have an interest in it, you shouldn't post here. I don't want another console war like that last thread ( http://www.emutalk.net/gaming/38363-ps3-pwns-all.html ), but PS3 fans deserve a thread, just like fans of the Wii and Xbox360 have one for the console of their choice.

Ground rules for this thread are any flaming, console wars, insulting or otherwise will not be tolerated. Anyone not able to abide by these rules should leave this thread immediately. Anyone that refuses to abide by these rules are subject to warning and possible ban.

- game on!

General Plot

Britchie Crazy
First PSX titles hit PS3 store

Article
With the PSP now capable of playing old-days PlayStation games downloaded using the PS3, Sony has announced when it's, you know, going to release some to download.

It's going to happen tomorrow, apparently, with various titles set to go on sale from the "Game Archives" area of the Japanese store for 525 yen (GBP 2.35 / EUR 3.50) each.

Initially PS3 owners will be able to nab Resident Evil Director's Cut, two volumes of Konami's Antiques MSX Collection, Bishi Bashi Special, Arc the Lad, Jumping Flash, Hot Shots Golf 2, Silent Bomber and Tekken 2.

Buyers will then be able to play these titles on PSP. Sony has said it will release an upgrade that allows for them to be played on the PS3 itself in 2007.

Sony's expected to sort out details of American releases in the very near future.
Considering we once paid upwards of $50 per game, and now at a cost of about $5, this is definitely cool.:)

General Plot

Britchie Crazy
A nice on youtube shows the scenery rendered in real time for Heavenly Sword (behind closed doors of course).:w00t: Note the quality of the video isn't all that great (it is a camcorder capture afterall), but it definitely looks good (see attachment for sample image).:D

General Plot

Britchie Crazy
General specs and assorted info

PS3 system specs:
PS3 CPU:
- Cell Processor
- PowerPC-base Core @ 3.2GHz
- 1 VMX vector unit per core
- 512KB L2 cache
- 7 x SPE @ 3.2GHz
- 7 x 128b 128 SIMD GPRs
- 7 x 256KB SRAM for SPE
- 1 of 8 SPEs reserved for redundancy
- total floating point performance: 218 GFLOPS

PS3 GPU (Graphics Processing Unit):
- RSX @ 550MHz
- 1.8 TFLOPS floating point performance
- Full HD (up to 1080p) x 2 channels
- Multi-way programmable parallel floating point shader pipelines

Bandwidth:
- Main RAM 25.6GB per second
- VRAM 22.4GB per second
- RSX 20GB per second (write) +15GB per second (read)
- SB< 2.5GB per second (write) + 2.5GB per second (read)

PS3 Sound:
- Dolby 5.1ch, DTS, LPC. All is cell based processing allow for unique sounds.

PS3 Memory:
- 256MB XDR Main RAM @ 3.2GHz
- 256MB GDDR3 VRAM @ 700MHz

Audio Video Output:
- Screen size: 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, and 1080p
- HDMI: HDMI out x 2
- Analog: AV multi out
- Digital audio: Digital Out (OPTICAL)

Disc Media (CD) Specs:
- PlayStation CD-ROM PlayStation 2 CD-ROM
- CD-DA, CD-DA (ROM), CD-R, CD-RW
- SACD, SACD Hybrid (CD layer), SACD HD
- DualDisc, DualDisc (audio side), DualDisc (DVD side)

Disc Media (DVD) Specs:
- PlayStation 2 DVD-ROM
- PlayStation 3 DVD-ROM
- DVD-Video, DVD-ROM, DVD-R
- DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW

Disc Media (Blu-ray) Specs:
- PlayStation 3 BD-ROM
- BD-Video
- BD-ROM
- BD-R
- BD-RE

Other Info of PS3:
- Product name: PlayStation 3
- Nickname: PS3
- System Floating Point Performance: 2 TFLOPS
- Storage: Detachable 2.5" HDD slot

I/O:
- USB Front x 4, Rear x 2 (USB2.0)
- Memory Stick standard/Duo or PRO
- SD standard and mini
- CompactFlash (Type I, II)1

Communications:
- Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T) x 3 (input x 1 + output x 2)
- Wi-Fi IEEE 802.11 b/g
- Bluetooth 2.0 (EDR)

Controls:
- Bluetooth, allowing up to 7 players at once
- USB 2.0, which is wired
- Wi-Fi allowing connectivety between PS3 and PSP.
- Network and networking over IP.
All in all, I think it's pretty impressive, and certainly capable of standing the test of time to come. I'm heavily interested in Bluray (HD movies have been my latest addiction, just ask anyone that knows me) and to get a console for slightly more than a standalone player would cost is very attractive.

PS3 Launch titles
1. Resistance: Fall of Man - Sony -
2. NBA 07 - Sony
3. Genji: Days of the Blade - Sony
4. Blazing Angels Squadrons of WWII - Ubisoft
5. Call of Duty 3 - Activision
6. EA Sports Fight Night Round 3 - Electronic Arts
7. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Bethesda Softworks
8. F.E.A.R. - Vivendi Universal Games
9. Full Auto 2: Battlelines - Sega
10. Madden NFL 07 - Electronic Arts
11. MARVEL: ULTIMATE ALLIANCE - Activision
12. Mobile Suit Gundam: CROSSFIRE - NAMCO BANDAI Games
13. NBA 2K7 - 2K Sports -
14. Need For Speed Carbon - Electronic Arts
15. NHL 2K7 - 2K Sports
16. RIDGE RACER 7 - NAMCO BANDAI Games
17. Sonic the Hedgehog - Sega
18. Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07 - Electronic Arts
19. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas - Ubisoft
20. Tony Hawk’s Project 8 - Activision
21. Untold Legends Dark Kingdom - Sony Online Entertainment
Not a bad lineup for launch, though not the best either. Of course, the ones everybody's waiting for are still about a year off, but these sure do give you something to do while you wait.:) I can see about 3 or 4 titles that catch my eye immediately.

xneoangel

Persona User
Hey guys just for curiosity if you could get a PS3 and 3 games right now what games would you get and why?

I'd get this ones:
1 Resistance: Fall of Man (i downloaded a 720p trailer of it and it looks awesome)
2 Sonic the Hedgehog (im a fan of sonic since i first saw him on a sega genesis)
3 Tony Hawk Project 8 (im a big fan of skating games and its also very fun on multiplayer)

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Bad news for Sony fans. It seems more expenses are in order to play your old games on the PS3 without losing your progress:

Funny that of all the various ports included on the PlayStation 3's front, not one of them is for the PS1 and PS2 memory cards. If you want to use your saved games on the PS3, you need to buy a $14.99 USB adapter. It's in short supply right now -- I managed to luck out and get EB Games' last one.

My friend pointed out that this is a piece of hardware that I will only actually use one time. I found this fascinating. He's right. I copy the contents of my PS1 and PS2 saves to my PS3 hard drive, and that's it: the adapter becomes a completely unusable thingamabob.

In even more ways, it's a rather inelegant solution. I assumed, wrongly, that I'd just be able to plug the card in and copy a single memory card file over. Say, FFXII. No: before you can even view the contents of the card, you have to first copy the entire thing onto the hard drive. And the PS3 automatically creates a separate "Virtual Memory Card" directory for the contents of that card.

So now, if I were to copy my four PS2 memory cards and two PS1 cards over, I have six virtual card directories plus the one I made when I tested the PS3's backwards compatibility in the first place. Oh well: at least it's less of a mess than having six actual memory cards sitting around.

Source: Game|Life

General Plot

Britchie Crazy
Doomulation said:
Bad news for Sony fans. It seems more expenses are in order to play your old games on the PS3 without losing your progress
Maybe you should read the first post in this thread, which clearly states:
Falcon4ever said:
This thread is for the purpose of discussing interest in the PS3 ONLY.

If you don't have an interest in it, you shouldn't post here.
Do everyone a favor and butt out Doom.;)

That aside, my 3 choices for sure would have to be Resistance: Fall Of Man (everyone else seems to agree, as it's one of the hottest selling launch titles).

resistancefallofman_009.jpg

928399_20060508_screen005.jpg

Sonic. I've always loved Sonic Games since my first taste 15 years ago on the Genesis.

sonic-the-hedgehog-20060510003726804.jpg

And Mobile Suit Gundam: Crossfire. I've played many before, but this one looks the most killer by far.:D

869.jpg

870.jpg

Last edited:

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
mmm, would you please post more screenshots about Sonic, maybe links to videos if possible... I would also see stuff about FF XIII if available

General Plot

Britchie Crazy
Ask and ye shal receive. I really like the way the Sonic game is looking, and as for Final Fantasy XIII, I think it's shaping up to be a console seller in it's own rite. A good video for Sonic can be found here, though youtube quality.:( Still looks VERY nice. And of course, the best (and practically only video) available for Final Fantasy XIII is the one from the E3 show, which is also on youtube here. I'll be digging for better screenshots and videos hosted around the net, so this is just the start.:)

Doomulation

?????????????????????????

Do everyone a favor and butt out Doom.;)

Do you want to start another war?
That mentioned, I do agree that Final Fantasy looks fabolous. It must certainly be THE title for the PS3. No doubt.

General Plot

Britchie Crazy
Doomulation said:
Do you want to start another war?
I wouldn't take it there if I were you. I was simply pointing out the ground rules, so don't come in here moaning trying to start another one.;)

General Plot

Britchie Crazy
WhiteX said:
Will assassin´s creed come out for PC?
I'd sure like to see it, but I'm sure the requirements won't be any less than what Oblivion's is. Still, it is a nice thought, since I'm holding off on getting this system (I like it, but I'll wait a until a couple versions have been made so that at least most of the bugs can be worked out). It'd give us a chance to try some of these new titles without the console and give us a glimpse of what it will be like to play them on the console later.:)

Another nice video showing PS3 remotely controlled through PSP. See the video . For now, it demonstrates multimedia content sharing, but it does give you an idea of the potential for more interaction between the two devices to come in the future.

Last edited:

smegforbrain

As a peripheral for the PS3, the memory card adapter is certainly worth talking about.

And, I agree with Doom, at $15 for what really amounts to many for one-time use is pretty crappy.

I'm not worried about my PSX saves these days, but I've already got my PS2 saves transferred to my pc's hard drive via Codebreaker and USB. With the PS3 being a plain ol' hard drive, that should cut out the middleman down the road in transferring stuff. So, needing an adapter still sucks, but we don't need to worry about overpriced memory cards any more either. :)

As for titles I'm looking forward to, Assassin's Creed looks incredible. Also, I'm a sucker for Koei games, so I'm also greatly looking forward to Bladestorm: The Hundred Years War. DMC4 will also be high on my list, even though I have yet to play through the earlier games in the series (one day I'll get to them!)

And, of course, FF13.