What's new

Geforce3 or Geforce4??

Pokemoner

aka Saiko..
Hi All...I was asking which is better: a Geforce4 mx or aGeforce3 mx?I knew that Geforce3 has pixel & vertex shader support..which is not in Geforce4 ...
thanx

OP
Pokemoner

Pokemoner

aka Saiko..
Trotterwatch said:
There is no such thing as a GF3 MX.

However a GF3 is better than a GF4 MX (has pixel shaders, whereas 4MX has none).
Thanx for correction :) then if I coud exchange my Geforce4 64mb with Geforce3 64mb it will be a good deal..

0z0n

Oxygen pillow
I can tell, that in GeForce 4 MX there is no also half of that is in GeForce 3. And in general GeForce 3 on many parameters it is better, than GeForce 4MX.
Well if to take a videocard on base GF 4, then Titanium version.

khanmeister

Banned
0z0n said:
I can tell, that in GeForce 4 MX there is no also half of that is in GeForce 3. And in general GeForce 3 on many parameters it is better, than GeForce 4MX.
Well if to take a videocard on base GF 4, then Titanium version.

A cheap fx5200 will likely give you better performance and newer features for most things, and are comparable in price.

:D

That's what I'd do!

Martin

Administrator
The FX5200 is a piece of junk. Even the FX5200 Ultra which I had a while was a piece of junk. I'd get a Radeon 9600 Pro instead. :)

khanmeister

Banned
Martin said:
The FX5200 is a piece of junk. Even the FX5200 Ultra which I had a while was a piece of junk. I'd get a Radeon 9600 Pro instead. :)

Well, yeah, but you're talking about an extra hundie for that bad boy! Or $80 is the closest price point i could find.

*sigh*

But yes, /me wants a 9600 pro also.

www.pricewatch.com has one for $124

:love:

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
I can only speak for the old gf series. Gf4 ti4200 is not a bad card at all. It is decent now and probably will be a somewhat high-end card for little money at least for a while more.

Not a bad deal at all.

Martin

Administrator
khanmeister said:
Well, yeah, but you're talking about an extra hundie for that bad boy! Or $80 is the closest price point i could find.

*sigh*

But yes, /me wants a 9600 pro also.

www.pricewatch.com has one for $124

:love:
Ah, I wasn't aware the price difference was so big. Regardless, his current GF4 MX is actually not much slower than the 5200 so the upgrade would be pointless, except that he would get a DX9 card, which again is pointless since the card is too slow to take advantage of it. :)

0z0n

Oxygen pillow
collage2.jpg

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
khanmeister said:
A cheap fx5200 will likely give you better performance and newer features for most things, and are comparable in price.

:D

That's what I'd do!

FX5200 is generally SLOWER than an MX440, even moreso if you're using any of those 'new features' which completely defeats the purpose.

Really, the only people who should even be LOOKING AT an FX5200 are the stragglers still using GeForce2's or even cards which don't even have hardware T&L (or people with non-3D onboard video and no AGP slot).

sheik124

Emutalk Member
you can get a Radeon 9600 for about 100 dollars from newegg, or for 30 more you can get the 9600 PRO or a GeForce FX 5700, but whatever you get, make sure its not a Radeon9600SE or a Radeon 9600 Pro EZ Version as those are dumbed down cards (poopy) i have the geforce fx 5700 myself and i am quite happy with it